Why Are Road Cases

Amigo

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just buy 2nd hand, 2nd hand road cases often go for cheap and most of the time are still in great condition. You might need to change the wheels but that's only a minor detail.

New Roadcases are pricey but they are for touring musician and trust me, they are worth it. Last thing you want is some local crew at a gig slip and drop your head on the floor and shatter it.

• Members

For 4x12s, sort of. Little 2x12s are nice.

The case for the 2x12 is good as well as it raises it from the floor and means you can actually hear your own amp. a combo on the floor means you have to crank it to hear yourself. Pointless in certain venues.

• Members

There's a lot that goes into a road case.

Unless you already have the tools, building your own will always be more expensive.

i don't have crazy fancy heads or anything, but i'm sure there's not many cases out there that would come close to the price of one of my heads. but still, $250 for a small wooden box just seems crazy. i've paid the money and all so i guess it's worth it. i do tour a bit, though nothing near like i did before i had any road cases, so i think they're a good idea. all that touring without one was a bad idea and done with a cheaper amp. i'm sure i would gain a new respect for the cost if i tried to build a few, but maybe i'll just do that and see. i probably have most of the tools already. i can build a house with my tools, so i hope i can swing a padded wooden box.

• Members

i've experienced both really cheap and really nice road cases....and some passable DIY road cases. i can say in full confidence that the nicer ones are always worth it, though i do try to spend more on the gear in the case than the case itself.

sometimes you can find companies that do mass quantities of cases for popular amps that you can get for a great price.

• Members

Cases are definitely worth the money though. My amp would look like {censored} without one.

I can provide evidence of what happens to an ac30h2 without a case.

Its even worse here though, cases are crazy expensive. Like 500-800 for an ac30 case And most american or british manufacturers won't ship here.

• Members

i don't have crazy fancy heads or anything, but i'm sure there's not many cases out there that would come close to the price of one of my heads. but still, $250 for a small wooden box just seems crazy. i've paid the money and all so i guess it's worth it. i do tour a bit, though nothing near like i did before i had any road cases, so i think they're a good idea. all that touring without one was a bad idea and done with a cheaper amp. i'm sure i would gain a new respect for the cost if i tried to build a few, but maybe i'll just do that and see. i probably have most of the tools already. i can build a house with my tools, so i hope i can swing a padded wooden box.

It really isn't just a small wooden box though.

Laminated ply, extrusion, lid maker extrusion, recessed handles and latches, ball corners, corner joins, high density foam, casters (for combos/cabs) etc etc etc.

Keep in mind as well that you probably won't be able to get the exact lengths/sizes you need for your case which means you'll have wastage - driving up the cost.

You'd likely have to buy enough to make multiple cases in order for it to be cost effective just to make one.

Of course, if you've got the skills and all the tools (electric drill, blind rivet gun, table saw, angle grinder etc) then you should definitely give it a crack. I'd be very interested to see how you came out cost and quality wise.

• Members

It really isn't just a small wooden box though.

Laminated ply, extrusion, lid maker extrusion, recessed handles and latches, ball corners, corner joins, high density foam, casters (for combos/cabs) etc etc etc.

Keep in mind as well that you probably won't be able to get the exact lengths/sizes you need for your case which means you'll have wastage - driving up the cost.

You'd likely have to buy enough to make multiple cases in order for it to be cost effective just to make one.

Of course, if you've got the skills and all the tools (electric drill, blind rivet gun, table saw, angle grinder etc) then you should definitely give it a crack. I'd be very interested to see how you came out cost and quality wise.

well, as i said, i'm sure i'll gain a new respect for the cost if i build a few. and i didn't intend to minimize their actual value by calling it a small wooden box, but when you spend your days building houses, remodelling houses, and adding to houses, a road case starts to look an awful lot like a little wood box, even though it's actually a lot more than that. i need another one. perhaps i'll try to make one in the next month or so. if i do i'll keep the board posted. i'd say there's at least a 70% chance that i'll wish i had just bought one, but we'll see. i certainly already have all the tools, except a rivet gun, but i bet i know someone who has one.

• Members

well, as i said, i'm sure i'll gain a new respect for the cost if i build a few. and i didn't intend to minimize their actual value by calling it a small wooden box, but when you spend your days building houses, remodelling houses, and adding to houses, a road case starts to look an awful lot like a little wood box, even though it's actually a lot more than that. i need another one. perhaps i'll try to make one in the next month or so. if i do i'll keep the board posted. i'd say there's at least a 70% chance that i'll wish i had just bought one, but we'll see. i certainly already have all the tools, except a rivet gun, but i bet i know someone who has one.

:thu:

• Members

Just buy 2nd hand, 2nd hand road cases often go for cheap and most of the time are still in great condition. You might need to change the wheels but that's only a minor detail.

New Roadcases are pricey but they are for touring musician and trust me, they are worth it. Last thing you want is some local crew at a gig slip and drop your head on the floor and shatter it.

I have found several on CL. I found one that was used for a mixer cost me 5 bucks.I cut it down and made a case for my pedalboard,and had enough to make a case for my head.They are worth it if you have the locals helping you unload.I always carry my amp but my pedal board has been dropped "in the case" so it paid for itself.

• Members

http://www.starcase.com/hardwareproductsheet.htm

Start adding things up and you'll probably find it's not much cheaper then buying one.

• Members

If you're touring at all road cases are a must. I hate the weight of them, but I like to know that my gear can survive a fall and will be well protected. I bought a few of mine used for a very discounted price, and with the exception of the awful stickers on them, they work perfectly.

Proper cases are an investment and I don't see a problem with shelling out good cash to have them.

• Members

More importantly - Why are rack shelves so expensive?

That I don't know. I think I paid like $60 for my SKB shelf. It's well made, so it was worth it but seems like it should be about half that.

• Members

Heads definitely go in road cases. Keep checking your local Craigslist. I got deals on cases for both of my heads. $50 for one and $70 for the other.

This is the answer. Roadcases arent expensive. Wait for someone to off their cases. Mine have been $25, $25, $45, and free. Just watch and wait

Archived