Looking for advice on an simple analog delay

• Members

So I've lately just been wanting a simple delay to use as an always on abience generator, or just add a little echo to things.

I have a Nova System that i've been using in the loop that covers any type of delay-scape that i need really, but I'm finding that more and more I just want a simple delay to be available on top of the more complicated delay settings I have dialed in on certain patches, and at times I just want to lay down a couple pedla sand not have to worry about the whole board.

I want some personal stories and recommendations for some good simple analog delays. I don't need tons of settings or knobs and my Nova System covers it: i just want smething I can slap on a board and be able to set and forget.

I like the look and sound of the Lovepedal Echo Baby; tape sounds/option modulation is a bonus. Carbon Copy is on my list, along with the Malekko stuff. I'm putting my limit firmly at about $200 though, which puts me out of skrecho/maxon/strymon terrtory.

Any other good options or opinions?

UPDATE 6/27

Update:

Went to my local shop, and realized that I had totally forgotten about all the EQD offerings (and you guys forgot to bring them up, SHAME) They're digital yeah, but have a really great, warm, full analog voice. Luckily my shop carries the entire line, so I spent some time with the Dispatch Master and Disaster Transport. Both of them absolutely killed the Lovepedal designs to my ear.

As it stands now, I think I'm really zeroing in on the Dispatch Master; love the verb+delay for EZ-mode ambience. No modulation, but if I'm going to be stomp on another switch to turn it on anyways, I may as well use the mod on my Nova system, as I like the mod and parameters better than what's on the Disaster Transport.

So yeah; I came into this thinking 'Analog, tape-like with Mod', and came out 'DSP, Reverb on the side', but the DM just did it for me in ways the Flashback, CC, Echo Baby, and Gen 5 didn't. Just goes to show you never really know what you want until you sit down in front of a half dozen pedals and get to it.

Going to bring my JP6 in to spend a bit more quality time with the DM on saturday, but I think it's the one. Epic demo, btw:

[video=youtube;DeGNXUv1gvM]

• Members

De7! Cheap and amazing sounding!

I always thought that the DE 7 is digital.

The CC or the malekko are both great delays. But you have to try them with your own equipment. On my first pedalboard the CC was the best chioce. But with other pedals and a different amp the CC was a bit to dark for my taste. It depends on your gear.

Do you need longer delaytimes or is 300ms enough?

• Members

my favorite analog delay EVER (note: not mine):

Yo I have always wanted to pick up this one but heard that if certain chips are busted, then

they are pretty much unrepairable due to the lack of availability.

Almost bought one a few times though. Lurrrved the demos i've heard.

I also rally like the FX90. Nice, dark repeats.

• Members

ARDX20-New1.jpg

I've had this on my board for the past year + ..... It's nice to be able to switch between slapback and a longer delay. I really need both for gigs and this was a better option than buying a second delay (or changing settings on stage). Sounds soooooo awesome and warm. Pricey, but I don't really see any need to replace it, like, ever. Plus there's the little Amazeo thingy if you want modulation etc.

Edit: I paid $220 used I think.

• Members

The love pedal is digital...jus sayin.

The carbon copy is a classic, go check it, they've got them almost everywhere. Probably the darkest of the dark analog delays out there.

I love malekko delays, the 616 lofi can do ambient pretty well along with probably my favorite slapback in small pedal form(if you can find one since they got discontinued).

• Members

ARDX20-New1.jpg

I've had this on my board for the past year + ..... It's nice to be able to switch between slapback and a longer delay. I really need both for gigs and this was a better option than buying a second delay (or changing settings on stage). Sounds soooooo awesome and warm. Pricey, but I don't really see any need to replace it, like, ever. Plus there's the little Amazeo thingy if you want modulation etc.

Edit: I paid $220 used I think.

Those look really good, I was reading up on them last night. Add the foot controller,and it seems on par with that new moog delay

• Members

I've had a Carbon Copy for about two months now, and I totally love it. It just "settles in" behind your dry signal so well, and it sounds really great with dirt. I use it both on it's own and with my Deluxe Memory Man Tap Tempo running a very bright, rhythmic delay along with the CC. Does very well with both. Can't believe I waited so long to buy one.

• Members

Being a user of many analog/tape delays for years I've been smitten with the JOYO digital delay demos. Even though it's digital it is very analog sounding -incredibly close to my vintage 70's Memory Man. Bucket brigade & self oscillation too!
The JOYO is true bypass & under $50!
Had the Memory Boy & returned it -the repeats sounded muffled. Used a cheap trick to get analog -turning the tone down. My original Memory Man sounded dirty not muffly.

[video=youtube;2371ZoUp-7E]

• Members

Yo I have always wanted to pick up this one but heard that if certain chips are busted, then

they are pretty much unrepairable due to the lack of availability.

Almost bought one a few times though. Lurrrved the demos i've heard.

I also rally like the FX90. Nice, dark repeats.

you're talking about the reticon chips, and yeah some of these have them. BUT, there is a mn2005 version, which are by and large more available than the reticon. theyll still cost a good amount, but theyre out there...

Archived