Looking for advice on an simple analog delay

• Members

Well I've seen Skrechos go for $225 - $250 lately so it's not too far out of your reach. Too bad you just missed the $200 MidFi Deluxe Pitch Pirate group-buy!

Indeed but he said no skrechos, etc because they were out of reach... I'm just saying not by much.

• Members

The de7 is digital, but you wouldn't know from listening to it. So organic and warm.

This. I think the DE7 holds its own with the best of the more expensive delays. Honestly I think it's MILES ABOVE the CC. I absolutely hated my V2 CC. I thought it was dark(not in a good way) and the repeats were plinky.

• Members

Yeah; I like the skrecho alot, but if I open myself up to $250, I open myself up to a bunch more product that does alot more than I need it to.

My nova System can cop a decent analog and tape sound, but not at the same time it can do a quarter/dotted eighth dual delay at different feedback and decays adjustable by tap tempo. And if I have to find a delay, it's easier to find and pay for 'Analog Delay X' than that other complicated bull{censored}. I know for a fact my local store has CC's and the Lovepedal in (didn't know it was digital, but makes total sense with the size ad control layout) and I'll probably give those a go as I like having the modulation available should I need it. I think erskin is selling a 616 maybe? I'm sure I could find one here or on TGP should I decide on that too. CC is just a bargain; see them here at or under $90 all the time.

I'm also surprised there haven't been any 'Just get a Timeline/Timefactor/Superdelay' yet, because I whole heartedly expected it.

• Members

I wouldn't get so hung up on the analog/digital thing. Digital delays sound just as good these days and are more reliable. Listen to the M5/9/13 delays. They are amazing.

Also if you liked the sound of the Echo Baby check out the Lovepedal Gen 5. It sounds amazing.

• Members

This. I think the DE7 holds its own with the best of the more expensive delays. Honestly I think it's MILES ABOVE the CC. I absolutely hated my V2 CC. I thought it was dark(not in a good way) and the repeats were plinky.

Plinky. Even though you probably just made that word up, I know exactly what you mean just by the sound of it.

And yeah, +1 on the DE7 of course. Ibanez did really good with that one.

• Members

Just as an update, I may toss the TC Flashback into the mix, as I might love to have the looper too, and I didn't 'hate' the tape or analog settings on it when I tried them out. MAYBE could be convinced to get the PSG version 'Alter Ego' for the echorec sim.

As it stands, I'm going to have a sit down at my local shop with the Flashback and the Lovepedal Gen 5/Echo Baby to have a go with them. I've heard problems with hiss/noise on the Lovepedal models, which of course has been written off as 'on purpose, to emulate the sound of a true tape delay'. Of course those are all digital delays, I'm basically just doing whatever I feel like at this point...

That said, I think the front runners are the Gen 5, Alter Ego, and the ONLY delay standing that met all my original wants; the Malekko 616. Anyone have comments/choices/picks out of the three? Wish I had a 616 to play nearby me.

*edit* sorry CC; you're really dark, and I'm a snob.

• Members

i've got an alter ego. its pretty good man. the toneprint option is key. but yea, the Tape and DMM modes sound pretty nice. the echorec mode is good for certain applications too, but quite strongly modulated.

also look into a Jacques Prisoner delay, i just scored one today on TGP - its got outboard modulation controls. Skrecho Jr ;)

• Members

i've got an alter ego. its pretty good man. the toneprint option is key. but yea, the Tape and DMM modes sound pretty nice. the echorec mode is good for certain applications too, but quite strongly modulated.

also look into a
Jacques Prisoner delay, i just scored one today on TGP - its got outboard modulation controls. Skrecho Jr
;)

Renula'd.

• Members

Update:

Went to my local shop, and realized that I had totally forgotten about all the EQD offerings (and you guys forgot to bring them up, SHAME) They're digital yeah, but have a really great, warm, full analog voice. Luckily my shop carries the entire line, so I spent some time with the Dispatch Master and Disaster Transport. Both of them absolutely killed the Lovepedal designs to my ear.

As it stands now, I think I'm really zeroing in on the Dispatch Master; love the verb+delay for EZ-mode ambience. No modulation, but if I'm going to be stomp on another switch to turn it on anyways, I may as well use the mod on my Nova system, as I like the mod and parameters better than what's on the Disaster Transport.

So yeah; I came into this thinking 'Analog, tape-like with Mod', and came out 'DSP, Reverb on the side', but the DM just did it for me in ways the Flashback, CC, Echo Baby, and Gen 5 didn't. Just goes to show you never really know what you want until you sit down in front of a half dozen pedals and get to it.

Going to bring my JP6 in to spend a bit more quality time with the DM on saturday, but I think it's the one. Epic demo, btw:

http://youtube/DeGNXUv1gvM

Archived