Why are DD-3's so expensive used?

gambit

• Members

I had no experience with Delays.....one year ago I bought a DD-7.

Several "different kinds" of delays on this pedal. It's a keeper.

I love the DD-7. Absolutely hate the DD-20 in every way but the DD-7 has really surprised me with how good it sounds and it's staying on my board.

• Members

I love the DD-7. Absolutely hate the DD-20 in every way but the DD-7 has really surprised me with how good it sounds and it's staying on my board.

I liked the DD7 too, don't have it now, but was considering a DD-20 maybe. I didn't know you can you can alter the modulation via the screen on the modulation setting. That seems cool, I can't do that with my Nova. What tonal differences did you notice between the dd7 and the dd20?

• Members

How similar do the PS3's delay settings sound to the DD3?

I think the PS-3's delay sounds a little cleaner and it does a weird clicky step thing when you change the delay time, whereas the DD-3 has some sweet oscillation and will ramp the pitch when you change the d. time.

• Members

I think the PS-3's delay sounds a little cleaner and it does a weird clicky step thing when you change the delay time, whereas the DD-3 has some sweet oscillation and will ramp the pitch when you change the d. time.

I've never compared my PS-3 with a DD-3, but my PS-2 sounds pretty similar to my old DD-3 to my ears.

• Members

I had no experience with Delays.....one year ago I bought a DD-7.

Several "different kinds" of delays on this pedal. It's a keeper.

I like mine a lot and got it for pretty good deal--$80. I briefly considered the DD-3, but the DD-7 was a no-brainer for me at that price.

• Members

To answer the OP question: Hype. The DD3 is a great pedal non the less, but so is a klon or a bad monkey.

Bang for the buck -whise you can't go wrong with any of the newer DD series impo, though for some reason I didn't like the DD-6. I think it was probably the "warp" mode, and the lack of a reverse mode like on the DD-5...

As far as more/less digital sounding goes...To each their own, but if I'm after the sound of an analog delay, I buy an analog delay, not a $100 digital delay that supposedly sounds a tiny little bit warmer than other digital delay pedals :idk:

• Members

To answer the OP question: Hype. The DD3 is a great pedal non the less, but so is a klon or a bad monkey.

Bang for the buck -whise you can't go wrong with any of the newer DD series impo, though for some reason I didn't like the DD-6. I think it was probably the "warp" mode, and
the lack of a reverse mode like on the DD-5...

As far as more/less digital sounding goes...To each their own, but if I'm after the sound of an analog delay, I buy an analog delay, not a $100 digital delay that supposedly sounds a tiny little bit warmer than other digital delay pedals
:idk:

DD-6 has a reverse mode. It is 100% wet, which isn't like the DD-5's reverse function.

• Members

what is it you don't like about the DD20? i'm wondering if its messing with my signal too much (conversion or whatever) but the delays and functions sound good enough for the price. i initially thoughit would kick the El Capostan out at one point.. but might try a favorite switch before i decide on that.

• Members

DD-6 has a reverse mode. It is 100% wet, which isn't like the DD-5's reverse function.

Yeah that's what I meant. On the DD-5, you get short reversed repeats, just like in any normal delay setting, just backwards. Much more useable impo than on the DD-6, which if I remember correctly just repeats a phrase once, reversed. Could be totally wrong here thoug, it's been a while since I last used a DD-6...

• Members

Bang for the buck -whise you can't go wrong with any of the newer DD series impo, though for some reason I didn't like the DD-6. I think it was probably the "warp" mode, and the lack of a reverse mode like on the DD-5...

As far as more/less digital sounding goes...To each their own, but if I'm after the sound of an analog delay, I buy an analog delay, not a $100 digital delay that supposedly sounds a tiny little bit warmer than other digital delay pedals
:idk:

Its not so much "warmth" as it is it just feels kind of clearer and "pingier" in a way that cuts through a mix, which is what I think what most people want in a digital delay.

The TC electronics delays though are the cleanest of any digital delays I've tried.

• Members

I liked the DD7 too, don't have it now, but was considering a DD-20 maybe. I didn't know you can you can alter the modulation via the screen on the modulation setting. That seems cool, I can't do that with my Nova. What tonal differences did you notice between the dd7 and the dd20?

There's just something about more modern Boss digital gear that I don't like. Maybe it is the conversion. I didn't like the RE-20 at all. It sounded bright, dry, and lacking any real character. The older gear like my much-loved GT-3, I like a lot. Looking at all the gear I like or kept, I think the lower bitrate digital gear has a lot more character than the more recent stuff which is better on spec but can sound way too clear and clean.

The DD-7 is an notable exception. I bought expecting not to like it, nice cheap Ebay steal, and it's totally surprised me with how good it sounds and how versatile it is. The reverse delay is good, the analog setting at 100% is very good, and I won't be selling it.

Archived