Does a coily cable exist which doesn't dramatically change tone?

Loobs

• Members

lol @ "if you want to cut highs, just use a pedal!"

if that's the sound he's looking for, wouldnt it make much more sense to just integrate the cable unto his setup rather than buy a whole new pedal and waste board space?

I'd rather have the control that an EQ would give. The cable might cut too much from his highs or too little etc etc. With an EQ pedal he could switch it in and out depending on which guitar he's using/what sound he wants.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What's the point in them? If you want cut treble and boost mids just use an eq pedal and if you don't just use a normal cable. They look daft too.

they don't tangle. i do a lot of recording at the computer and it's nice not tangling/running over the cable all the time

• Members

I thought this thread was about helping him find a cable, not give your assumptions and aesthetic dislikes of coil cables. Loobs, Lava coily is rad. I really dig mine. I didn't notice a difference in tone, but I was also using a 20 foot cable prior to that as my guitar to board cable.

• Members

lets not get into a hiss about how much treble i want to cut gentlemen.

FWIW i run treble on my amps extremly low use flatwound strings on bass pure nickles on guitar and run very high output pups. treble is FTL in my books. i like rumble. :love:

and i use the tone knobs on my pedlols for all my treble needs.

• Members

A coily cable doesn't really do anything a normal cable don't. They just add cable length, but if you're already running long cables (or pick a pretty short coily one) it won't be that much of a difference.

Coil cable is far harder to get tangled in. I have literally tripped on straight cables and lucky for me saved myself by bracing myself on a wall and not {censored}ing myself and my guitar up. The coil cable has benefits beyond looking retro.

• Members

Coil cable is far harder to get tangled in. I have literally tripped on straight cables and lucky for me saved myself by bracing myself on a wall and not {censored}ing myself and my guitar up. The coil cable has benefits beyond looking retro.

I've definitely almost done that a number of times. Wish I'd had a coily in my touring days.

• Members

No cable is "boosting" anything, unless said cable has a built-in amp of some sort.

This is the Myth Of The Tube Screamer Mid Hump. It doesn't exist.

Just like the little green pedal, coily cables CUT highs (and probably bass as well), which, to the human ear, sounds EXACTLY like boosting the mids.

Passive circuits cannot boost, they can only cut.

Hope this helps.

• Members

Um...it is a passive cable. It cannot ADD mids. Maybe it seems like when the highs are being cut, making the mids more obvious. And you aren't noticing the lows because you aren't playing bass.

Coily cables are like having an extra, fixed, tone knob.

• Members

Interesting.

I read several people hitting the "cables don't boost anything" button, yet I can't find ANYONE who claimed they did.

Masses are asses today.

Passive circuit alone, and ANYTIME you have a capacitive/inductive.resistive load placed on a signal, then you will have loss...be it high/mid/low. This is a massive "No Duh!".

But I still believe that there is far less difference between straight and coily cables than anyone here is letting on. Again, that "coil" is essentially not visible to the rest of the transmission line due to the ground-shield. I'd love to get my hands on some data from a reputable cable manufacturer. (ie not Lava, George L, etc.... but the actual maker of the cable/wire/jacket). They'd have the proper data for analysis. Anything you'd get from Lava, etc would be seriously suspect and full of marketing hype, imo.

• Members

just an fyi everyone:

coily cables cannot add mids, they cut highs, which to the human ear, sounds like boosting the mids.

hope this helps.

also the so called "enhanced safety" of coily cables is a figment of your imaginations propagated by the coily cable lobby. one time at band practice i tripped and fell onto a coily cable causing it to become lodged in my urethra, that would have never happened had it been a regular cable.

consider yourselves duly warned.

• Members

Yes, I meant tone wise. It obviously has practical benefits.

Archived