I don't know what to think about this.

warioblast

• Members

See, here's the thing: he's not. He's not a "smart marketer". He's done no marketing whatsoever. What he has done is occupy a niche. And what
other people
have done is use his brand name (which, was not necessarily derived out of anything but prolificacy) to market
their own
product.

See, here's the thing. I don't agree. I don't know how much marketing you've done, or if you make a living out of it. Not my favorite thing, but it is a part of my job. Broadly defined, GMD is marketing his shtick, and his own product (Luther Drive) through YT.

Developing the moniker Gearmandude is a form of marketing. He may be occupying a niche, but he has marketed his stick via tons of YT hits, which translates to a basic form of notoriety now, plus being paid through advertiser's wanting to link to his site. And now he has Dr. Z using his moniker in a well known guitar magazine. I think this could be consider successful marketing; he has parlayed his love of the guitar and effects through an important medium. And now many in the guitar world know of GMD, and if his name is behind something, and people buy that product, that is successful marketing. GMD is the marketing campaign!

You may not like or agree with it, but the proof is right there in this advertisement.

• Members

That's awesome. Can't say that I find his demos all that useful in relation to what I play, but they are generally entertaining and when I first got into pedals I spent a ton of time watching GMD and old PGS videos to get some idea about what I liked and disliked.

Archived