OT: Anti-Depressants changed my life

MegaMustaine

• Members
You remind me of my great uncle who after subscribing to all the nutty militia/health conspiracy stuff, decided that it would be a good idea to only eat carrots for a couple of months.

You remind me of one of the people who said antibiotics won't help get rid of infections.

I am blown away at how people will rubber-stamp every mind-altering drug that doctors prescribe, but are scared {censored}less of a simple vitamin that most humans are severely deficient of. LMAO!

P.S. - My information comes from MayoClinic.com and ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. If you are smarter than the researchers and doctors there, I suggest you open up a competing institution and put those quacks out of business.

:facepalm:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why make a joke of something that has obviously helped millions of people stave off disease, cancer, and depression?

The research confirms it... you just have to be open to it. Obviously some are not.

Nobody is advising to take a harmful overdose of anything. Doctors regularly prescribe much more massive doses of D3 than I am advocating after finding that a patient is vitamin D deficient (which up to 90% of the population is).

:idk:

• Members

Why make a joke of something that has obviously helped millions of people stave off disease, cancer, and depression?

The research confirms it... you just have to be open to it. Obviously some are not.

Nobody is advising to take a harmful overdose of anything. Doctors regularly prescribe much more massive doses of D3 than I am advocating after finding that a patient is vitamin D deficient (which up to 90% of the population is).

:idk:

Why make a joke about it? Are you asking those joking about Irish weather, something incredibly funny? And you're asking 'why'? Well, be prepared for 6.4 million people to explain why. The whole country of Ireland love to have a laugh about how much it rains here and how little sun we get. Live here for a few years and you'll realise why.

I am not closed-minded to the idea of taking vitamin's to help with depression. I take vitamins and supplements all the time to help with mine. We were simply having a laugh. You might not find this discussion in any way funny, but there is humour in anything in life. You just have to choose to pay attention to it. In fact, most people with depression find strange, taboo things funny, while others would sit there and pout.

Why make a joke about it? Are you asking those joking about Irish weather, something incredibly funny? And you're asking 'why'? Well, be prepared for 6.4 million people to explain
why
. The whole country of Ireland love to have a laugh about how much it rains here and how little sun we get. Live here for a few years and you'll realise why.

I'm sure he's heard of the leipreach

• Members

Someone, much earlier, posted about Diabeties and Statins, in defense of anti-depressants.

The funny thing is; some anti-depressants can CAUSE Diabeties, as a side effect.

While statins lower cholesterol, and one symptom of low cholesterol is depression.

• Members

Someone, much earlier, posted about Diabeties and Statins, in defense of anti-depressants.

The funny thing is; some anti-depressants can CAUSE Diabeties, as a side effect.

While statins lower cholesterol, and one symptom of low cholesterol is depression.

Actually, its the atypical antipsychotics that tend to push people toward diabetes. They are sometimes used as adjunct therapy for depression, but are not anti-depressants. As far as I know, none of your garden variety SSRIs are guilty of this. Zyprexa is the worst offender, but this drug family also includes Seroquel, Abilify, Geodon, and a few others. I've been on Zyprexa 2 years and get a fasting glucose test every 3 months. Its spiked my triglycerides (easily handled by Prevachol), but my blood sugar is fine. The hyperglycemia/diabetes risk is there (I think primarily because of its relation to the weight gain associated with these drugs), but I think it was blown way out of proportion by the lawsuit industry.

• Members

Actually, its the atypical antipsychotics that tend to push people toward diabetes. They are sometimes used as adjunct therapy for depression, but are not anti-depressants. As far as I know, none of your garden variety SSRIs are guilty of this. Zyprexa is the worst offender, but this drug family also includes Seroquel, Abilify, Geodon, and a few others. I've been on Zyprexa 2 years and get a fasting glucose test every 3 months. Its spiked my triglycerides (easily handled by Prevachol), but my blood sugar is fine. The hyperglycemia/diabetes risk is there (I think primarily because of its relation to the weight gain associated with these drugs), but I think it was blown way out of proportion by the lawsuit industry.

Quoted for emphasis. :thu:

• Members

I've been on a low dose of Zyprexa for anxiety and feelings of schizophrenia for a long time now, but I did not know it could cause weight gain. I had always wondered why I suddenly gained so much weight and never lost it unless I fasted. I started slowly coming off them a year or so ago, but I completely reverted back to my old self. Either they were working quite well, or it was something else that caused the relapse, maybe something in my life. I'll talk to my GP about this. The extra weight I carry around adds to my low feelings, so maybe it would be a good idea to find a more accommodating balance.

• Members

I've been on a low dose of Zyprexa for anxiety and feelings of schizophrenia for a long time now, but I did not know it could cause weight gain. I had always wondered why I suddenly gained so much weight and never lost it unless I fasted. I started slowly coming off them a year or so ago, but I completely reverted back to my old self. Either they were working quite well, or it was something else that caused the relapse, maybe something in my life. I'll talk to my GP about this. The extra weight I carry around adds to my low feelings, so maybe it would be a good idea to find a more accommodating balance.

Yeah, dude, I've gained 70-80 lbs in 2 years. Its a killer medicine and helps with almost any psych diagnosis, but its side effect profile is the worst. Lately, its been giving me akesthesia, which is why I'm now also on the Propranolol as I wean off of Zyprexa.

• Members

Quoted for emphasis.
:thu:

Thats why I hate the Abilify commercials. They make it look like its just another Prozac-type drug that is relatively benign, but in reality, with the antipsychotics, you're stepping into a whole new level of psychotropic medicine. Its why I drive an hour to see the best psychiatrist I can---and pay out of pocket. General practicioners often don't have the depth of knowledge necessary to effectively treat psychiatric disorders. I once had a GP write me a script with about 10 meds on it and say "get 'em all and see which ones work for you. you'll figure it out." I found a new GP immediately. They are very wary about writing scripts for psychiatric drugs, especially antipsychotics and benzodiazapines, as any doctor should be. I'm insanely medicated right now and realize that, but I'm working with an expert to get down to as few effective meds as possible. My wife called my psych doc one Saturday morning and told him I wouldn't stop pacing the house. He immediately suspected antipsychotic-induced akasthesia and prescribed beta-blockers and reduced my Zyprexa dose. Guess what? It worked. GPs just don't have the experience with these drugs and their functioning to be as effective in prescribing and dosing. Its a whole other approach to medicine, where one must work backwards from the symptoms present and make a best educated guess at the most likely problem and prescribe accordingly. There are no tests to confirm diagnosis, there are no absolutes. You might be major depressive with bipolar tendencies and need to take lithium or lamictal to balance your moods. Or you could be bipolar with mixed episodes and never manifest in mania until am unknowing doctor puts you on Prozac, which can cause mania. People often characterize psychiatric medicine as mere trial and error or some sort of voodoo guessing game. I've spent time on three psych wards and seen numerous outpatient shrinks. The best psychiatrists are able to work backwards from symptoms to a diagnosis. The more specific your diagnosis, the better the results. I went for years with just a "depression" diagnosis. This summer, I was diagnosed as bipolar with mixed episodes instead of mania. Now that we've seen that we thought were mixed episodes were actually akesthesia caused by drugs I was taking (first episode 2 years ago when I was on GHB) that diagnosis might change to bipolar II or just treatment-resistant depression. Notice how I said "we." Good psychiatrists listen to you and take your suggestions, especially if you keep yourself educated about your own condition. They might disagree with some suggestions, but the best appreciate input from the patient and even the patient's family members. Mine always asks me how my wife might describe my moods.

I should mention I also see a therapist weekly to talk things out and figure out what lifestyle changes I can make to manage my symptoms. Today he told me until I get my sleep hygiene in order, we really don't need to be talking about anything else. Tough words to hear, especially for someone who likes to fall asleep on the couch with the TV on, but I know he's right. It also helps that he has kept himself educated in psychiatric medicine and can help me identify side effects and such.

In short, if you have or think you have a psychiatric disorder, seek the appropriate help. A GP with a depression questionnaire and a tendency to blanket prescribe Lexapro because it just went generic just isn't sufficient. This isn't saying that all GPs are incompetent in the area. If you're going that route and works for you, great. One of the people who practices with my shrink is a DO. I know people who see him and have gotten fantastic results. At the very least, if there are no reputable psychiatrists in your area, as in mine, see if you can find a knowledgeable therapist/psychologist who is willing to work with your GP to make treatment more effective. It just isn't enough to come in every six months and get your refill of Zoloft...much less Abilify or Zyprexa, for which you should have regular bloodwork done.

Be your own advocate and get educated in the medicines you're taking. Know what they are, how they are believed to work, their side effect profile, and what they might interact with. If a pysch doc diagnoses you bipolar II, read up on it and know what makes it different from bipolar I. See what lifestyle changes could improve your symptoms--look into holistic and natural treatments. Many psych docs will support you in this effort. In my last bloodwork, I was severely Vitamin D deficient--my shrink told me to take a supplement. In my experience, Omega 3 also contributes to overall well-being. In the hospital we did yoga and practiced relaxation techniques. I can easily see how something like yoga could help improve my symptoms.

All that said, I'm not the best patient. I drink too much, stay up too late, don't exercise enough, consume too much soda, and maintain too high a stress level. I'm trying to work on those things one at a time to ensure that I get the best results from my treatment. After all, thats all anyone can do.

• Members

This is a really interesting topic- something I've never really discussed with anyone, so I'm encouraged to hear people speaking out.

I also forgot to mention that I had somewhat of an eating disorder and some serious obsessive tendencies. This all went away when I got treated for my depression. (Probably a manifestation of my depression)

It's CRAZY to look back and see how i handled certain situations, and know that it wasn't the 'real me' dealing with those issues, and I was under the cloud of depression. I probably had about 2-3 years where I was wasn't myself at all. But, the past is the past, and that journey was necessary to get me where I am now. Cheers everyone! Seems like my success with prozac is somewhat rare...I literally have no side effects and haven't noticed a decrease of its effect in the 6 months of taking it. But maybe it's just in my head...

• Members

I think men in particular find it hard to talk about these things - lots of stuff in our conditioning from a very young age not to talk about what we're going through. I think it's a big part of why suicide's the min cause of death for men from 25-35, and there are a lot more male suicides than female (5x more in the USA, 3x in the UK). Feels good to talk, huh?

Great to see everyone chipping in through this thread :thu:

• Members

This is a really interesting topic- something I've never really discussed with anyone, so I'm encouraged to hear people speaking out.

I also forgot to mention that I had somewhat of an eating disorder and some serious obsessive tendencies. This all went away when I got treated for my depression. (Probably a manifestation of my depression)

It's CRAZY to look back and see how i handled certain situations, and know that it wasn't the 'real me' dealing with those issues, and I was under the cloud of depression. I probably had about 2-3 years where I was wasn't myself at all. But, the past is the past, and that journey was necessary to get me where I am now. Cheers everyone! Seems like my success with prozac is somewhat rare...I literally have no side effects and haven't noticed a decrease of its effect in the 6 months of taking it. But maybe it's just in my head...

Yeah, I know what you mean. Looking back at when a number of bad things happened to me, I became an entirely different person. I reckon it was the subconscious taking over; some sort of inner self, built up over years and years of conditioning. I was wacky, saying and doing strange things. That is naturally who I am. When I'm at my most comfortable, I say and do strange things; often taboo things. I remember trying to slice rain drops with my pen knife as they fell. I also remember scaring my neighbours because I was walking around their properties, soaking wet and carrying a knife. No one called the police, but they knew my mum and called her instead.

• Members

Right now I'm taking very low levels of Zoloft and it's working for me, I was taking I believe 100mg and it was working for the most part but it was making me into a zombie. And when I'm a zombie I lose so much of my personality, no as funny, not as fun, so then people don't really want to hang out with you which makes you depressed. Finally one day I was like screw this I can't live my life like a zombie anymore and cut the dose in half and the roughest part was definitely trying to control my anger, my temper was terrible, and it's still far worse than when I was taking 100mg but at least I feel like myself.

I swear your body gets used to anti-depressants and then they just stop working, so I'm waiting for the moment when I start feeling suicidal again. I've found historically that if I stopped taking anti-depressants for a while and then got back on it was like a system reboot.

• Members

Citing NCBI is like citing every peer-reviewed paper ever. It would be like saying "I read it in a book, you know, the one at the library."

I'm writing a manuscript right now and it would be about two pages shorter if I could just cite NCBI.

• Members

I'm booked in to see a new psychiatrist, because my GP, after asking whether I could change my meds or bump them up to something stronger/different, said he would refer me to the psychiatrist, as they are the ones qualified to prescribe anything beyond the traditional dosage and type of meds, which is what I am currently on. Anything more than that and they start losing surety. I'm glad I have a doctor who isn't afraid to admit where his talents and expertise lie. He's not the best doctor I've ever had, but he's honest.

Ironically enough, though, Lexapro is what I was first prescribed and began taking fiver years ago. When my nerves starting becoming an issue, when I began having panic attacks, I was prescribed a low dose of Zyprexa. He also said it can help with schizophrenic tendencies, which is what I sometimes have. I live two lives sometimes. My mind kinda forgets one thing and just does another, often without realising.

Yeah, Zyprexa is intended for treating schizophrenia and rapid mood stabilization for bipolar disorder. However, its also FDA approved to aid SSRIs for "treatment resistant depression." In fact, they make a pill called "Symbiax" that combines a low-dose of Zyprexa 2.5-10mg with Prozac. Zyprexa saved my life two years by literally pulling me out of the lowest state I've ever been in overnight. I've been on every dose from 2.5mg to 15mg, depending on the current severity of my symptoms. Currently on 7.5. Lately, however, I've developed akesthesia again (innate sense of restlessness and anxiety), so I'm gonna have to get off of Zyprexa. I've tried three antipsychotics in the last 6 months (the other two being Geodon and Saprhis) and Zyprexa is the least offensive in terms of the akesthesia, but since going back on it, I've already gained 10-15 more pounds. Hoping to be off of it ASAP, but I'm gonna have to go slow because I have a hard time sleeping without it. Typically, you can start and stop antipsychotics with no real withdrawal effects unlike antidepressants, but we're wary of rebound insomnia.

Anyway, I wish I didn't know so much about all of this, but I wish you the best of luck. I know enough people who have found the perfect combination for their symptoms to continue to put faith that it lies out there for me as well.

Archived