I'm taking up reading.

Amigo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Get a book of Kafka short stories. The Judgement is about ten pages, and the best short story I've ever read (and I've read a lot).

Here's some stuff off the top of my brain -

Personal loves:

Catch 22(Heller), A Tale of Two Cities(Dickens), Spring Snow(Mishima), The Old Man and The Sea(Hemmingway).

Classics:

Crime & Punishment(Dostoevsky), Oedipus Rex(Sophocles), The Outsider(Camus).

Non-Fiction:

'Godel, Escher and Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid' (Hofstadter), Anything by Michel Foucault.

Glutton for punishment/Genius:

The Waves(Woolf), Ulysses(Joyce), Pale Fire(Nobokov).

Unsung hero:

The Third Policeman(O'Brien) - It's fun, joyous, surreal, creative and intelligent.

• Members

why is everyone on here a smarmy {censored}? I am politely asking for some decent book suggestions.

I'm sure if I made a post about me just getting a ps3 everyone would be jizzing suggestions at me.

its funny but i have slowly learning that a) i am not good at book recommendations via the INTERNET b) i share common book interests w/ only a few people c) i am not good at being a smarmy {censored}.

• Members

I'd recommend all of Chuck Palahniuk's early stuff; with Choke probably being my favorite of his. I would read some of his books in a day. Kurt Vonnegut is all sorts of fantastic as well. His books are fun and sarcastic, but give you a lot to think about by the end.

I'm going through a phase of reading memoirs right now - recently read Kevin Smith's most recent book, and I'm currently reading I am Ozzy (which is {censored}ing hilarious and fantastic).

• Members

that dark tower series was pretty decent and it will keep you occupied for a while.

the foundation series was pretty good if you are into scifi stuff.

if you want to read some depressing real world stuff read the algiers motel incident.

i personally like to read murakami before going to bed, he moves things along at a slow pace but keeps them interesting.

• Members

Get a book of Kafka short stories. The Judgement is about ten pages, and the best short story I've ever read (and I've read a lot).

Here's some stuff off the top of my brain -

Personal loves:

Catch 22(Heller), A Tale of Two Cities(Dickens), Spring Snow(Mishima), The Old Man and The Sea(Hemmingway).

Classics:

Crime & Punishment(Dostoevsky), Oedipus Rex(Sophocles), The Outsider(Camus).

Non-Fiction:

'Godel, Escher and Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid' (Hofstadter), Anything by Michel Foucault.

Glutton for punishment/Genius:

The Waves(Woolf), Ulysses(Joyce), Pale Fire(Nobokov).

Unsung hero:

The Third Policeman(O'Brien)
- It's fun, joyous, surreal, creative and intelligent.

:thu:

Vastly under-appreciated novel. I have this mostly baseless theory that O'Brien was inspired by the line in The Snows of Kilimanjaro when Hemingway, talking about the possible forms death might take, wrote something alone the lines of "[Death] could be two bicycle policeman."

• Members

My father has just read 50 shades of swiftly approaching menopause
:facepalm:

I read a page and a half of someone's copy.

In all honesty, I haven't laughed so hard in at least five years. Aside from sentences that started without capital letters, buckets of awfully patronising cliches, it was just plain hilarious. Lines something like 'My subconscious was standing with its arms folded and shaking its head disapprovingly' (I am Jack's unstifled laughter). I'm told her subconscious expresses itself quite regularly.

Aside from the advanced literary techniques, there's more. I'll never forget the line - 'I magic a smile on my face'.

Archived