I'm taking up reading.

Amigo

• Members

Its actually quite nice to read before bed and can be inspirational for songwriting. Now that I'm out of school and am no longer required to read things, I'm into it. So far I got a book on Nikola Tesla and Bob Dylan.

Any good book suggestions?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

good for you becuz Reading Is Fundamental.

why is everyone on here a smarmy {censored}? I am politely asking for some decent book suggestions.

I'm sure if I made a post about me just getting a ps3 everyone would be jizzing suggestions at me.

• Members

I'm big into satire and other similar insightful yet oddball stories, so I suggest the entire catalogs of Vonnegut, Tom Robbins, David Sedaris, and Chuck Palahniuk. Aside from that stuff I generally only read beat poetry, which can also be quite inspirational, Bukowski/Ginsberg/Kerouac and plenty of lesser known poets of the same style are all enjoyable. Plus eastern philosophy is cool, especially historical pieces that let you inside the mind of a monk/samurai from centuries ago.

• Members

I bumped the "what are you threading thread" a few days ago, so it should be an easy search to find and there's a lot of great suggestions in there. I just finished Persepolis and I loved it. Very easy read as it is a comic book, but it was very engaging and informative.

I thought Chernow's Washington and Alexander Hamilton we're great if you like early American history.

Percy's The Moviegoer was great existentialism and the Works of Epictetus and Plato are absolutely essential reading and are easy and nontechnical.

There's a lot of great books for you to discover. You won't regret your decision to become a reader. Just like working out, after awhile you will become addicted and feel bad well you don't read for awhile.

• Members

Threads/conversations like this are so weird to me. I grew up reading all the time and probably always will. It seems like such a natural thing to me. When I hear someone say "I'm taking up reading" it's like hearing "I'm taking up sleeping."

Archived