Studio Monitors

Ryan.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i have Yorkville ysm1p from 12 years ago that I bought for 700$. I like them a LOT because I know them. I mixed my last album on them, but i'm also currently looking to upgrade (been thinking about upgrading for close to 5 years now)

At the moment I'm considering Adam Ax7 or Dynaudio BM6mk2... but i'm really uncertain because i'm familiar with the yorkvilles, so a 1500$ pair of monitors don't exactly radiate huge improvement. I haven't reached a decisive conclusion yet. I think i'm waiting for the right piece of gear at the right price to make the jump.

phil?

• Members

I spent {censored}loads on KRK VXT 8s thought they were nice. Sold the KRKs and got an old set of Yamaha NS10s. Classics. I mixed my first full length album through laptop speakers, a standard home hifi, the stereo in my car and headphones for a better idea of how people listening to it wherever they were would hear it.

• Members

Neumann KH120's, don't remember exactly what I paid but it was more than 1k off a Black Friday deal last year. I like them. Balanced, nice depth and image. Not fatiguing to listen to.

Before that I had Focal CMS40's that I also enjoyed mixing on but since they are so small, the low end was difficult to mix.

Before that I had Event BAS20/20 v1's that were great for the money and for their time. They had a little bit muddy low mids to them.

I've been wanting to try a mono Mixcube. I've seen people say a mono Mixcube is great for getting a good initial balance.

• Members

Yamaha hs50m, paid $280; you can get them for $260 shipped new I think now, at least from one particular place

Good monitors, would like the 8" the ones I have are 5"

Might have to sell them due to financial constraints :/

Good monitors though. Ive heard alot of people rag on KRK.

• Members

I've got a pair of behringer b1030as. I think you can get them for around 200 bucks a pair.

The biggest problem with them is the name on the front. I haven't noticed any frequency issues or anything like that. Perfect for a a small room and with a budget.

• Members

Equator D5's. Bought online from their website (only available from there). Shipped to Australia. Beautifully packaged. Tanfastic sound! Co-axial design so tweeter is incorporated into the woofer. 100W digital power. Stereo imaging amazing. Saw Craig Anderton's review in Electronic Musician and decided to give them a shot. Looking forward to not having to buy any more monitors for a long while. Did I say inexpensive? They're $299 US. Crazy deal. 60 day money back too I think.

I don't work for or represent Equator.

• Members

What is your budget?
If this is really for a recording studio, you have decent acoustic treatment, you monitor in the 75-85 dB range at about 1-2 meters, and you are looking for sonic accuracy rather than loudness, you can go for any of a number of decent small nearfield monitors with a single subwoofer.
I like my Dynaudio Acoustics BM6 passives ($800/pr 5 yr ago) with an Adcom GFA-555 amp ($400 used) and sealed homemade sub (Peerless XLS 830500 $150 plus wood) with a Crown K1 amp (don't remember exact price 10 yr ago, maybe $1k), using a Xilica XP4080 DSP ($850) as a crossover/DSP. About $3300 total, you could use smaller cheaper amps, just make sure they are fanless.
The Neumann KH120 with a good sub and crossover looks like the best bang for the buck out there right now, $1500/pr, probably under $3K with a good subwoofer and crossover. The Neumanns will probably sound better than the BM6s, reviews are excellent, but I haven't heard them yet.
Acoustic treatment of your studio and careful setup and alignment with the sub will make a big difference. If this is not really for a recording studio, sonic accuracy is not as important as higher SPLs, and you are really just getting them for pleasure listening, you could get much louder speakers that sound good a lot cheaper, but you asked about studio monitors.

• Members

I have Tannoy Reveal 66D monitors. I like them and they sound great. I did have an issue with them crackling but I isolated the prob (bad switch) and fixed them.

I think I paid about $700 for the pair because they were buy one get one free @ Sweetwater a few years ago.

2012-07-04134238.jpg

Archived