Bloody Marys (the drink) - Yes Or No?

• Members

Sometimes my girlfriend gets them with bourbon instead of vodka. Sounded like vomit to me at first too, but it's actually pretty good. Earthy.

I need to do one of these Ceasars. So, the absolute staples are: clamato, worchestershsheyeeiersrs's, Tabasco, lime, celery, and a {celery} salted rim?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes. Zing Zang is the only acceptable premade mixer.

I love Zing Zang. Got some in the fridge right now. Though there are some other AWESOME premade mixers. Tabasco makes a few that are awesome. I've had other good ones too.

There's a local one made here called Hoosier Mama, which is unbelievable. It's ridiculously thick so you need a LOT of booze, but once it's a nice consistency, look out.

• Members

Down here by good ole Mexico, we have Bloody Marias (sub out the vodka with tequila) and when made right they can be pretty tasty.

Denver and San Diego peeps - do yourself a favor and check out the Bloody Mary's at Snooz restaurant.

when I make em at home I use:

Ice

Vodka

Clamato (didn't even know this was available, let alone popular in Canada!)

Horseradish

Worcestershire

Pickle Juice

S&P

Celery if we have some

• Members

can't speak about bloody marys, but you need more than just tomato (clamato) juice, vodka and tabasco for a caesar or it'll suck. the seasoning on the rim is a huge part of the flavor, it needs a dash of lime juice, worcestershire sauce and celery for garnish (I sometimes like to use a pepperoni stick instead). you're probably doing it wrong.

Probably. :lol:

Have tried it a few more times. Still not digging it. So far it's been tomato juice, vodka, worcestershire, lemon, and various different tabasco-type hot sauces. I think what I don't like about it is the tomato, wishing I had horseradish too. Time to try again I suppose. Whoever mentioned it with gin may be on the right track, I always forget how much I hate vodka.

• Members

I need to do one of these Ceasars. So, the absolute staples are: clamato, worchestershsheyeeiersrs's, Tabasco, lime, celery, and a {celery} salted rim?

Yep. Use the lime to rim the glass, salt the rim, toss some ice in the glass, throw a few shakes (2-4) of Tabasco and (4) Worcestershire, add the vodka then clamato then celery. I like to crack some black pepper on top and I'll change up the Tabasco for other hot sauce, add some lemon juice at the start, different garnish, etc. But the basic recipe is delicious as is.

• Members

Cheers, mate. Yeah it is. People love tomato and basil, I suppose.

I've more compliments for that drink than any other cocktail I've created, which, from an ego standpoint is a bit frustrating because I rarely drink Bloody Marys. I've had so many rubbish ones, I tend not to bother.
However, people do like them, so I put it all aside and made the best recipe I could do and they have lapped it up.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by 12string View Post
Man, this is starting to sound like something I should try. Anyone recommend a good vodka? I was always under the impression that vodka was one of those things that brand didn't really matter too much because it was distilled so many times.

I think all I have on hand is Tito's and some blue label Smirnoff.
Quote Originally Posted by plaidbeer View Post
^Agreed about the vodka.

I never use spendy vodka for a bloody Mary.

Indeed, as long as you're drowning it in tomato or orange juice, just about any beverage-grade mixture of ethanol and water at about 40% alcohol is adequate.

For inexpensive but decent quality vodka to mix with juices, I'd recommend Fleischmann's.

• Members

been making 'em @ home w/ smirnoff

2/3 lowball w/ tomato juice
shooter of smirnoff
grind pepper on top
hit w/ probably like 20 drops of worcestershire
stir w/ celery stick

sometimes I'll throw some rub spices, olives or, lime juice but simple/quick is cooler to me...

Archived