Returning pedals... How many of you have and do it on a regular basis?

BHz_econo

• Members

So I'm reading the Supa Puss thread on TGP and I'm really surprised at the number of "I'm returning it" comments. I never return a pedal unless there is a problem. These guys apparently use pedal purchases to "try on" pedals.

Reminds me of those girls who wear dresses to parties, hiding the tags and returning them the next day.

So how many of you do this?

bad analogy unless you are using it to compare it to people who will "borrow" a pedal for a recording session or gig. or if you changed it to girls who go home and try on the dress again.

hell, i worked at sam ash and hated returns but just because something sounds good online or through someone elses rig doesn't mean it'll sound good through yours. if you advertise a great return policy then you're just being a baby if you get upset that people actually use it, even if it's for a dumb reason.

personally, i don't really return stuff because i almost always get a great deal and if i don't bond with it after awhile i can resell for the same amount or a small profit on craigslist. i don't think it's the worst idea to have a restocking fee for some things so you can let people know it was returned but give them the incentive of saving a few bucks. not all dealers are that honest but i think some people would appreciate it.

• Members

Maybe it's because I ask and it's broken but every time I have shipped a pedal back I called and they gave me a return label.

That's where there's a difference I think, and it's standard for distance selling....

If a product/item is delivered with a fault, or if it is not as described (or a couple of other reasons), it should be returned at the expense of the vendor, with the customer getting a full refund or replacement item - at no extra cost.

If you are returning the product for any reason that is not the fault of the vendor - e.g. you don't like it, or you've changed your mind and no longer want it - then the customer would usually be expected to pay for the expense of returning it... and if you get a refund, the initial shipping charge probably wouldn't be refunded.

Also, like Pewt mentioned, if the product is returned with signs of use, then a restocking charge is completely acceptable and fair.

• Members

Well my fear is that this is a huge expense for retailers. Especially if they cover shipping both ways.

If you return a pedal, like the Supa Puss, it's on you to pay the shipping costs back to the retailer. If the product was DOA, that might be a different story. But yeah, the retailer is paying the costs of shipping in the first place. I imagine that's a business expense though that they can write off, but still.

I don't return pedals very often. Can't remember the last one actually. The Supa Puss I got is quite good, but there's a group on TGP that are concerned by the volume loss. I don't hear much of one, and have found a way around it, but if others are bothered by it, they should return it. I'm sure then PGS will contact Way Huge, and relay the problem to them, especially if the returns come in large numbers.

Archived