Returning pedals... How many of you have and do it on a regular basis?

BHz_econo

• Members

So I'm reading the Supa Puss thread on TGP and I'm really surprised at the number of "I'm returning it" comments. I never return a pedal unless there is a problem. These guys apparently use pedal purchases to "try on" pedals.

Reminds me of those girls who wear dresses to parties, hiding the tags and returning them the next day.

So how many of you do this?

• Members

I returned a pedal for the first time two weeks ago - a nova repeater. I got it to use with one I already have in a stereo setup, and the idea didn't work out. The shop advertises a no quibble return policy and I took them up on it - not sure what the problem with that would be?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by macadood

View Post

i certainly never do this. but thats why i buy 95% of my gear used. its like 60-70% of the price of a new one and i know i can sell it for at least as much as i bought it for even if i didnt like it

about in the same page here.

the thought of doing that never even crossed my mind.

• Members

Its quite a big problem for my store and even more so the uber boutique pedal sellers around here. if its not absoluately PRISTINE and sellable as new. there will definiatly be a restocking charge.

With an industry that is very "flavour of the week" there are a lot of returns for {censored} like dis.

but whatevs. its all in the name of satisfaction guaran{censored}inteed.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNorris1982

View Post

I've never done it. I'm not against the idea though.

This. I wouldn't make a habit of it though. I'm not buying pedals all the time and usually do some research to see what I'm getting before I get it. If I got something and it was obviously not gonna work out for me I wouldn't hesitate to return it if the return policy allowed for that. I probably wouldn't do it for a used pedal from a private seller on here or ebay or something like that.

• Members

I bought my V-Wah with the intention of returning it. The salesman at GC brought it out and I expected to hate it. Boss COSM? Come on. But I humored him and plugged it in... was moderately impressed. Did exactly what my old Crybaby did before it went all scratchy on me, but the new Crybaby pedals could not. But still- it was Boss and it was expensive. He told me I should try it on my rig at home and if I didn't like it I could bring it back, no questions asked. I sighed, but went ahead and plunked down the cash. Brought it home and really started to cuss myself- darn if I didn't absolutely love it. 7 years later, and it's still my number 1.

• Members

Ive done it with a bass and an amp both at large chain stores. Hey if the thing didn't sound good and they had a return policy like this thats a chunk of change to be eating. On pedals I haven't done it.

• Members

Yes I get the impression some guys are using it as a free pedal-try play service, though I suppose if they keep one out of three pedals they try it works out financially for the vendor. It just kind of sucks that hardly anyone gets a brand new factory fresh product because of this.

I rushed out and bought a BOSS FRV-1 right after it became available thinking it would be a good replacement for the broken reverb in my amp. It turns out I didn't like it, but I felt bad returning it, and then bought a Carbon Copy which I kept.

I think it's less of a problem with pedals than with amps which do get beat to hell the more you ship them and they can change as you play them. A pedal is easy to put back in the original packaging and make look somewhat new.

If vendors would knock off a token sum, like even $5, and sell these things as restock or open box or whatever, I think they'd still sell just as many and would create fewer bad feelings.

Archived