Should I hit this Esquire?

solewheelin

• Members

I thought a few here would be able to help me out with this.
Available to me is a MIJ Fender Foto Flame Telecaster which was turned into an Esquire. Probably 16 years old.
So, yeah I haven't seen one of these in years and i'm so torn on what to do. but wIth mod and all, This is a hot guitar.
The stock pickup is a Duncan Hot stack which was cool to hear. I got to play it for an hour or so about 5 hrs ago. it played hot with some chunky action that seemed to be quite adjustable . but the thIng Is, it's a bit heavy Damn It. Still a hot piece of spank ass.

I was actually waiting for the right thinline body (or lightweight tele body) to mate with a MIM Tele neck, but arrrgh this one played really nice without much fretwear.

I wish I understood more how Esquire wiring works. The neck position had a softer volume to it and the middle position was basically turned on the stack/2nd row of pole pieces. (the tone knob only worked in the middle position).
JUZCP.jpg
So should I hit it?

• Members

IIRC, the neck position of the selector gives u a zero value on ur tone knob, middle activates the tone knob and bridge gives u either full tone knob or bypasses the tonestack, can't remember.

if you like the wya it looks, i say do it. If it's too expensive, the MIM Esquires are just fine... Ive played a few and they're really nice.

• Members

Typical/traditional wiring is

pushed back: no tone control

center: tone control active

neck: fixed tone control (very bassy/low output)

A lot of people do what's often called the "Eldred mod" after one of the FMIC guys, but it predates him. You use a smaller cap on the neck position to give it a bit of honk - similar to the less dark position on a Gretsch mudswitch. It sounds pretty good with a bit of distortion.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by riff ie

View Post

if i could i would, tele neck pick-up gots-it like that but when you just need to inform the forming inward, this would bee a proper way of sayin' aim fire...

I feel the same way about bridge pickup guitars.

If I feel like no frills rock and roll, with one guitar, a loud amp, and a volume knob, I go for the Les Paul Jr......

• Members

thumb.gif

Quote Originally Posted by The Lou-Dog

View Post

I feel the same way about bridge pickup guitars.

If I feel like no frills rock and roll, with one guitar, a loud amp, and a volume knob, I go for the Les Paul Jr......

many worse versions of freq transfer could aspire for sure...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n

View Post

neck: fixed tone control (very bassy/low output)

A lot of people do what's often called the "Eldred mod" after one of the FMIC guys, but it predates him... It sounds pretty good with a bit of distortion.

It also works well for rhythm strumming if you don't want to switch to an acoustic. I don't use the fixed position often, but sometimes it hits the spot.

• Members

Thanks dudes. The flame is a bit much I agree.

Would much rather have a mahogany body to warm up the honk a bit. You guys described the pickup selector to a tee.

I liked what would be the neck position for strumming and It really Sounded great In all posItIons.

Might be a bit out of my element right now though as I have too much gear, just no Tele.

And I told myself I'd put together a lightweight Tele so I might just continue my search.

So what would you value this guitar as is? Mods were done by maggio music in Brooklyn.

• Members

AAeI2l.jpg

Even that headstock is gorgeous.

I agree that i like maple fingerboards more, but A - the rosewood balances out the brightness of the already super bright pickup, and B - I have a MIM Tele neck to swap in if I ever needed it.

I just wish it wasn't a heavy piece of alder.

Yeah so i'm still thinking on it. The weight is my only real gripe, but the guitar is basically an exact copy of a 1952 Tele except for the bridge. And I like it much better than the AVRIs i have played.

Maybe i'm just better off getting exactly what I want which is a thinline tele body with a white or black finish.. Might get an MJT body or something.

I keep thinking that.

• Members

I had one of these. Don't pay more than 300 USD.

Well ok but I have seen these go for a bit more than that in the past.

Kinda glad he passed on my offer.

I guess i'll pass and just wait until I find the right thing which would be a thinline body (w/out the thinline pickguard) for my MIM Fender Tele neck.

Thanks.

Archived