O/T Your favorite Miles Davis album

The Villano Dude

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Come on people, help a brother out. What are the stone cold classic jazz albums that everybody needs to hear? My christmas list could use some padding...

Sorry!

Kind of Blue is probably number one, that Cannonball album that's been mentioned (Somethin Else) is another one.

Considering we're all guitar players I would also suggest the Bill Frisell, Ron Carter, Paul Motian album (that's the title of the album btw.), and Smokin' At The Half Note or Full House by Wes Montgomery and the Wynton Kelly Trio.

Other favourite albums of mine are The Bridge by Sonny Rollins which features Jim Hall on guitar, 80/81 by Pat Metheny, John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman, Undercurrent by Bill Evans and Jim Hall (a total classic), Portrait of Jazz and Sunday at The Village Vanguard by the Bill Evans Trio, En Route by the John Scofield Trio, Thrust by Herbie Hancock.....

That enough? I've missed out on a few I think.

• Members

Come on people, help a brother out. What are the stone cold classic jazz albums that everybody needs to hear? My christmas list could use some padding...

I'll reply in more detail later but Bob, are you on Spotify? I've got some playlists that you can check out as a starting point.

• Members

Trane's Love Supreme and the much mentioned Kind of Blue are equal to the hype. Mingus' Ah Um, Bill Evans' Live at the Village Vanguard, Art Blakey and the Jazz Messangers' Moanin', Ornette Coleman's Shape of Jazz to Come...all are good places to start. Move on from there.

• Members
...all are good places to start. Move on from there.

Much appreciated sir. I'm not a complete jazz novice, but it's still a music that I know too little about.

Found this neat compilation on Amazon:

513BVR77qTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

...that includes all or most of the tracks from Kind of Blue, Mingus Ah Um, The Shape Of Jazz To Come, Everybody Digs Bill Evans, Time Out and Blue Train (which is actually from '57, but who's counting? Clearly not the compilers.) Cost me

• Members

Found this neat compilation on Amazon:

513BVR77qTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

...that includes all or most of the tracks from Kind of Blue, Mingus Ah Um, The Shape Of Jazz To Come, Everybody Digs Bill Evans, Time Out and Blue Train (which is actually from '57, but who's counting? Clearly not the compilers.) Cost me

• Members

I do use Spotify occasionally. That would be good.

Last year I compiled a playlist of important jazz standards from chapter 21 of Mark Levine's 'The Jazz Theory Book' (the book that just about every wannabe jazzer will have). I've limited it to those marked 'must know': just the 240 tunes! (Edit: 2 seem to have disappeared)

http://open.spotify.com/user/daveinlondon/playlist/0qMZR7wdpGQBuk5eYkEiko

spotify:user:daveinlondon:playlist:0qMZR7wdpGQBuk5eYkEiko

Where possible, I used the recorded performances suggested in the book. Odds are you will find something in there that you like and can explore from there. If there is specific artist or "in the style" pointers you want, let me know. I don't subscribe to the view that there are certain albums you have to hear (though that 1959 compilation is a solid choice), unless you want to play jazz. You will like what you like.

• Members

That looks like a great collection. I think you'll dig Bill Evans if you enjoy KoB. (he's my favorite part of it). Brubeck as well.

The Ornette Coleman album is going to take a few listens to get my head around I think, but of the rest I think Mingus Ah Um was probably my favourite on a first hearing (I didn't listen to Kind of Blue, I've had that album for 10 years or more...). I thought there was a sort of sense of fun about it that jazz doesn't always have.

I see what you mean about Bill Evans and Kind of Blue though- I'd heard how although Miles claims the credit for the tunes on KoB, Evans had quite an influence on the material too. Peace Piece sounds an awful lot like Blue In Green.

Archived