Best distortion to use with Blues Junior

Stewman_86

• Members

Ok, so i'll make a long story short here. I recently got back into playing and have started up a jam group, hopefully to be a band in the near future. I play a G&L S-500 (similar to a texas special strat) and a korean LP copy modded with a Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz setup. I usually play just straight into the amp using the blues jr's natural overdrive, but I use a diamond J-Drive occasionally to beef up the tone. Now, with the g&l, this is all i'll ever need. But we are learning a few volbeat songs and possibly some other heavy stuff and I need something to get more gain out of that LP copy. After some research, I'm thinking a Turbo RAT, but I have no way to test it first. None of the stores in my area have them in stock. What do you guys think? I don't want to spend too much money. 200 canadian would be my ceiling.

• Members

i've got a tweed blues jr and never found it muddy with distortion idn_smilie.gif

i had a distortron and didn't particularly like it, but it was more the pedal imo. i'd say a turbo rat or just plain rat would be good. you can find them used for under $100. naga viper is good too. if you're going to be doing some real heavy stuff i may suggest a blackout effectors Musket, is there a reason it has to be distortion over fuzz?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by macadood View Post
i've got a tweed blues jr and never found it muddy with distortion idn_smilie.gif

i had a distortron and didn't particularly like it, but it was more the pedal imo. i'd say a turbo rat or just plain rat would be good. you can find them used for under $100. naga viper is good too. if you're going to be doing some real heavy stuff i may suggest a blackout effectors Musket, is there a reason it has to be distortion over fuzz?

I never found mine to be muddy at all. I usually dimed my master adjusted volume best way run it imho.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tattoedsailor

View Post

I never found mine to be muddy at all. I usually dimed my master adjusted volume best way run it imho.

thats how i run mine too. plus 3 tone controls to tweak to taste. takes pedals real well even clean like that.

• Members

Maybe some type of multi purpose booster, like a Mad Professor Ruby Red or a Catalinbread Naga Viper.

My main overdrive is a Skreddy Screwdriver Deluxe, which is great with every amp I've ever played it with. The way you can balance the Sharpness with the Brilliance and the Gain with the Pre-Gain gives you a pretty amazing amount of flexibility and there are pretty much no unusable sounds with this pedal.

• Members

For sub $200 and a decent amount of gain, I'd say:

Way-Huge-Fat-Sandwich.jpg

Killer pedal that will pick up where your Diamond leaves off. Run your Blues Jr. similar to how others have described (high master, low preamp volume) to clean it up and have yourself a nice little three channel monster with your two dirtboxes. thumb.gif

• Members

I have a Pro Jr and a Blues Jr III

I run three pedals with them....

Ibanez TS808 in to a Fulltone OCD in to a MXR M78

The TS808 will make the most of the Blues Jrs preamp gain, but....

I like to run the blues Jr clean and stack my Overdrive pedals to get the amount of gain needed.

The Blues Jr loves the TS808 and OCD, the M78 can get fizzy if you run it with the gain cranked, the Pro Jr likes the M78 better.

Truth is, just get the TS808 and OCD and you can easily cover all your bases from jazz to blues to rock, to 80s hair metal. Then one stomp, and you are back to those nice cleans the Blues Jr puts out.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by macadood View Post

This ^^^^ Bunch of {censored}ing Eric Johnson's up in here. My crunch box sounds incredibly through my tweed blues jr. I get a very diverse range of tones out of my blues jr. with a dano cool cat drive, tube screamer, and crunch box.

• Members

Confession time : I hated my FD II,it was really lifeless and boring I thought

The one mode I liked was the one where the boost didn't work, what a let down that was...

I realise Echo and I can no longer be friends now
:cry:

I hated mine too. Thought there was something wrong with me, how could so many pro's (and joe's) love this pedal but I couldn't get along with it. I flipped it.

• Members

Confession time : I hated my FD II,it was really lifeless and boring I thought

The one mode I liked was the one where the boost didn't work, what a let down that was...

I realise Echo and I can no longer be friends now
:cry:

Nah dude, we bros. I just feel for my taste the fulldrive kicks ass with a blues Jr. But I think it sounds great with almost any amp.

What did you play it with?

Archived