Want that 'VOX AC-30 clean/ breaking up' u2 sound, on a budget. Pedal? Amp Sim?

enroper

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by plawren53202

View Post

It's the CC2. I know the whole crazy routine about the standby switch and never use that. I took it to the shop; after I swapped out the pre and power amp tubes and it still blew fuses, I just didn't have time to mess with it. frown.gif My tinkering skills go only so far and then, for me, it's time to let the pros take over.

Did you change the rectifier? Probably the most likely tube to start causing mystery fuse blowing. Ah well. It's in safe hands at least!

• Members

the vox pathfinder, as nice as it is and cheap, won't get you that tone unfortunately. i'd rather try like mentioned just a treble booster or something. even with a responsive fuzz maybe like a Lunar Module dlx you could get close ish with the different tone shaping and gain controls.

also have you tried the vox ac30 simulators in like Garageband or GuitarRig 4?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by enroper View Post
I think the intro to this song is pretty much the defacto standard of the tone i'm craving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo6lKQYVUBU
Really nice tone indeed. Don't know what amp was used recording that, or what guitar for that matter...
But I wouldn't be surprised if he used the Les Paul Deluxe he plays live most of the time. A bold statement maybe, but in this case I'd say the mini humbuckers account for a BIG part of that tone. I happen to own one too, I bet can get pretty damn close to that tone with any good clean amp. And a pricey producer and dito recording studio ofcoursesmile.gif

I know you're already torn between different pedals and amps, but in case you plan on ever getting a new guitar too, you might wanna check out the new Les paul tribute model that's based on the '70s deluxe. Not saying it'll end your tone quest, but still, maybe a cheap AC30-in-a-box won't eitheridn_smilie.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by t_e_l_e View Post
i believe a vox ac4 blue would deliver ac30 tones at low volume, but it does not have the 1/4w, 1w, 4w switch and it only comes with a 10" speaker
and with over 300$ way out of budget
I have only demo'ed the AC4 blue, and it was nothing like an AC30 to my ears. I also own the AC4TV and AC15 (sold my AC30) a few years ago.

The little Vox's don't have enough headroom that the AC30 has.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sparkfriction View Post
Carl Martin AC-Tone *hands down*

and/or
-Menatone Top Boost in a Can...
-Lovepedal Englishman... i am not a lovepedal fan, but the englishman seems great for the job...

Now I'm really kind of torn between getting a Tech 21 pedal, or spending a few bucks more to find a used little AC4TV and micing that up to at least get the feel of a real "vox-ish" tube amp...choices choices...
No idea how the AC4TV sounds, but I have a Pod XT, Zoom G3 and the Teh 21 leeds and I still prefer to mic up my Champ or Blackstar HT-5 if volume isn't an issue.

• Members

^amplitube is one of the best ampsims as software... but the key to set up the stuff right. Inputgain, master etc. Mic positions etc. i use it only for clean and some br00tz and get the best results with 2 Mics and the right blend between both. But depends all on the virtual setup you build etc. pp. give it more time and anohter try smile.gif

Edit: the Tone Lab LE was just a idea 'cause you can get one used with your budget. one of my friends plays a tone lab LE - sure you can do soo much, it has programs/patches, lots of sims and effects. the cool thing is the speakersim and direct out IMO - great for playing at any level in any situation and for recording. oh and it is by vox and should get the sound smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by chrisjnyc View Post
I have only demo'ed the AC4 blue, and it was nothing like an AC30 to my ears. I also own the AC4TV and AC15 (sold my AC30) a few years ago.

The little Vox's don't have enough headroom that the AC30 has.
how did you like it? main focus would be as recording amp... as it does not have 1/4w options practice amp might not work cause the 4w still too loud. is the 10" speaker ok?

• Members

Well, I'm taking a leap of faith and I ordered the liverpool pedal from MF. Called them up and quoted an 18% discount I saw on another site, and they decided to honor it even though they couldn't confirm it, which is awesome of them. Figure it's no risk if I don't like it I'm sending it back and putting the money in savings for a real (small) amp. Didn't want to buy used for that very reason...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by enroper

View Post

Well, I'm taking a leap of faith and I ordered the liverpool pedal from MF. Called them up and quoted an 18% discount I saw on another site, and they decided to honor it even though they couldn't confirm it, which is awesome of them. Figure it's no risk if I don't like it I'm sending it back and putting the money in savings for a real (small) amp. Didn't want to buy used for that very reason...

Definitely let us know what you think once you get it. I'm teetering on whether to get one of the AC4 blues or the liverpool or Leeds pedal.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kidbs

View Post

Definitely let us know what you think once you get it. I'm teetering on whether to get one of the AC4 blues or the liverpool or Leeds pedal.

Will do. I'll probably do a little demo and post something back up here...

• Members
I got a nice little LP special with humbuckers I love the sound of. I know on this tune he played through an AC30, and dammit, I want that tone smile.gif
I google'd the tabs for that Bon Iver song (Perth), and found a couple youtube clips of guys covering it...

Turns out any Les Paul with a nice tube amp can get you pretty damn closeidn_smilie.gif

Good luck with Liverpool.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by thom View Post
I google'd the tabs for that Bon Iver song (Perth), and found a couple youtube clips of guys covering it...

Turns out any Les Paul with a nice tube amp can get you pretty damn closeidn_smilie.gif

Good luck with Liverpool.
I haven't heard a single amp that accidentally sounded like an AC30/vox type amp. Any amps people ever recommend that sound like vox's that i've heard usually don't, unless they were specifically voiced to sound like a vox. I have to agree with the person who said that crate amp, doesn't sound like a vox. I guess what I'm trying to say is, not really. I got a 70's fender champ. It's a tube amp. It doesn't get me anywhere near that tone, and most importantly that feel...

..goddamn I'm a long winder mofo..

• Members
I haven't heard a single amp that accidentally sounded like an AC30/vox type amp. Any amps people ever recommend that sound like vox's that i've heard usually don't, unless they were specifically voiced to sound like a vox. I have to agree with the person who said that crate amp, doesn't sound like a vox. I guess what I'm trying to say is, not really. I got a 70's fender champ. It's a tube amp. It doesn't get me anywhere near that tone, and most importantly that feel...

..goddamn I'm a long winder mofo..
Yeah, not every tube amp out there is in the same ball park. I can imagine silver face fenders -awesome as they are- aren't very ac30'ish. Black face fenders minght not either, but they do better at the shimey cleanish thing. Not in the same way as vox, but probably more so than a cheap solid state pedal.

Too bad your budget/situation/whatever doesn't allow an AC30, sounds like that's really what you want and need for yer tone.

I sold my C2X a while ago. Loved the amp to death, really hated to part with it. But it was too big and loud to use at home, even with an attenuator. And for rehearsels and live situations I just prefered my fender half stack. So I had to sell it to pay for a new smaller practice/recording amp.

Which is a DRRI. Still really needs the attenuator at home though, but it keeps me happy, at least untill I can afford to add an AC30 to the collection againsmile.gif

Anyway, if the pedal doesn't work out, maybe you'd want to consider replacing the champ with an AC15, princeton reverb, or whatever else that might work better for the tone you've got in mind...idn_smilie.gif

Just a thought ofcours. Give the Liverpool a shot first, it might just do the trick.

Smart! Whenever you're not sure, it always makes sense to buy from someone with a good return policy. That way, you're not stuck with something you may or may not end up liking.

But I think you'll like the Liverpool. It's a solid pedal, and I was impressed with how well it does going direct - and I have an AC15 with a Weber Blue Dog in it, and have recorded several AC30s over the years, so I'm not exactly unfamiliar with the sound of Vox amps. smile.gifredface.gif

I think you made a wise decision in trying to use a little VST delay with your recording. You may want to continue to add a bit of reverb or delay to what you're recording with the Tech 21 Liverpool - in the recording software, or with another pedal... otherwise, the "dryness" of it may make it seem a bit unnatural - but that's true of any direct input source. They lack any of the natural room reflections that a mic would normally pick up, and those are definitely a part of cuing our ears into the acoustical "space" (IOW, room acoustics) that the amp is occupying. Adding a simulation of that into an otherwise totally dry sound will make it seem more natural.

Archived