New Klon or Hoof

deanmass

• Members

OK- So the new Klon pedal is out. But, I have since played a EQD Hoof. I love the way it sounds, and have a couple other pedals I can do without. I have been settled into my Garagetone Drivetrain 2, which I love, but, the Hoof has a sustain to it that is really fat, especially with the railhammers in my RG2 Rev.

Thoughts?

FYI- not a big lead player, or even a good guitar player. Mostly Rhythm, some lead, but when Ido, I want a certain fatness. Blues Rock covers more BOC or ACDC than VH, etc.

I'm going to design a pedal and call it the Klon's Hoof.

I shall build only one. None of you shall have it. Bahahahahaha! wink.gif

Seriously, I have not played a Hoof yet, although I hope to soon. I briefly heard a demo of the new Klon at last winter's NAMM show, but it was so chaotic around the booth that it was impossible to make a reasonable assessment of it. I've heard an original gold horseyman, and it sounded very good to me, but the guy playing it was no slouch either, and that makes a difference folks. idea.gif

The EQD pedals I have tried / reviewed so far have really impressed me. They build really solid, professional products, and based on what I've heard, they deserve all the accolades they've been getting.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
I'm going to design a pedal and call it the Klon's Hoof.
haha Phil, had the same in my mind after reading the thrad titel.

EQD builds great pedals! the Hoof is one of the best muffs i ever playd (based on the green russian...)

Klon? dunno, maybe thats me, but its in the end just a drive/boost pedal... sure it is a great pedal with some magic mojo... but who knows how the new klon fits idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Yeah, completely different pedals.

One's a clean fat boost/OD, and one's a muff derived distortion fuzz.

What do you need?

I've owned the HOOF, and own a Klone. Both are good pedals for what they are.

I got rid of the HOOF for a Supercolider. While I miss the HOOF's character, the Supercolider ain't no slacker.

• Members

Yeah, I'll just echo everyone and say you're kinda comparing apples and oranges...

Never played a Klon of any kind, but {censored}, everyone loves them. I should think it would be the more appropriate pedal for ACDC type stuff, though really, your Drive Train should already be getting you really close to that.

The Hoof is, as everyone is saying, a muff clone. I have one and love it. Fantastic pedal, but if we're talkin classic rock (and I'm in a band that will occasionally cover AC/DC), it stays off. I mean, yeah, you could play classic rock with one, but it's not gonna sound like the records.

I mean, I LOVE my Hoof, but for what you're talking about, I'm thinkin a more straight forward overdrive is what you're looking for.

Actually... you know what? You should totally say {censored} the Hoof and Klon and get a Talons. That one has the versatility and can do the low-mid gain thing VERY well, but you can also crank the drive and bass which yields really heavy muffish tones... do that. Do it.

Archived