A fuzz that cuts through live mix with two guitars

Elessar [Sly]

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kpd78 View Post
It's not a very good clone then. tongue.gif

Does it have a master volume control?
If you turn the gain up (with the volume set to taste), then it reaches a point towards the top of the gain range where it transforms from a boost/driver into a great fuzz.
Ah, okay, yeah, I see what you are saying. I hadn't turned it up all the way just yet. I've been using it as a boost, not a fuzz.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Blakemore Effects

View Post

I never got along that well with my Fulltone Soul Bender. Everyone kept telling me how well it cut through the mix, but for some reason it just never gelled with me. Because of that, I'd be more likely to recommend (like others have said) a Rat, or a fuzz with a clean blend could help you retain some of your mids. You're still going to have a tough time cutting through with another guitar player though. Either way though, I think I may sell my Soulbender soon if something doesn't click for me

have you adjusted the internal trimmer?

• Members

I just got the Walrus Audio Jupiter Fuzz and I like it a lot. It's heavy but cuts through well without being muddy, which is why I never like most fuzz pedals. You might want to check it out but I don't know as much about fuzz pedals as most others on here.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Electricdresses

View Post

Not to be a douche but Rat's can definitely get into fuzz territory on higher gain settings. Who cares what they're classified as. Go with what you hear.

For me fuzz isn't really about the amount of gain but about texture. Fuzz pedals are wooly and buzzy, and the rat doesn't really get that. I don't really think Big Muffs are really fuzz pedals either for this reason, but tomatoes tomatoes...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle

View Post

For me fuzz isn't really about the amount of gain but about texture. Fuzz pedals are wooly and buzzy, and the rat doesn't really get that. I don't really think Big Muffs are really fuzz pedals either for this reason, but tomatoes tomatoes...

You've got a good point. Agreed.

• Members

Interesting seeing all the Rat recommendations here. I have one and I have mixed feelings about it - it never sounds quite how I want it to by myself or even at practice, but at shows it always slices right through and sounds great, so it stays on the board.

It's not a fuzz pedal though.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle

View Post

There's all kinds of fuzz sub-types out there. You really don't care which kind, so long as it cuts?

I'm pretty much open to anything, and I'm the experimental guitarist in the band so I like to mix things up a little, but only to the point where it suits the music; otherwise I wouldn't bother.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived