idiot proofing

Y0UNGBL00D

• Members

How far do you go to idiot proof your pedalboard?

I've done quite a bit to prevent lessons learned live from repeating themselves, but it always seems the one thing I don't do bites me every time. Last show I was situated closer than usual to the input side of my board and I stepped on my guitar cable twice. I move around a lot. So next step is to make my guitar cable a right angle connector at both ends. Pics later

When it comes to idiot-proofing, never underestimate the persistence and ingenuity of idiots. wink.gif

IOW, IMHO, it's pretty darned hard to make anything idiot-proof. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try to refine and improve things... but don't be surprised if Murphy raises his head and something goes wrong anyway.

• Members

Mark your settings especially on those overdrives that have way too much volume potential.

keep it away from the edge of the stage as much as possible.

hate to say this, but coily may be the way to go from guitar > board. cant tell u how many times ive yanked the cord out by stepping too far

• Members

What's going on today, first I agree with Goodhonk in a thread, now I'm agreeing with Pewt!?

;-)

But yeah, what he said. Unless your car is ALWAYS only in your own locked garage. But I know people that have had instruments stolen out of their car in their own driveway.

• Members

funny, i used to use a coily cable. the vox one. it failed, which led me to another new ruke: no molded cables. when they fail, you are screwed. to circumvent that rule i would have to get a bullet coily, i think. may happen. my cable is long enough, i actually stepped on it right where it connected at the board, pulling it out just enough to kill signal, which sucks to troubleshoot mid song.

and im not talking about theft or damage from drunken fans. im talking about me being the idiot. so far my efforts include:

--keeping pedals as close as possible on board, not only for real estate, but to keep the patch cables from coming out of thei jacks

--ziptying underboard connections (stemmed from the days when i had a lot of underboard power connections that were attached mid-wire, those barrels slide out too easy

--snaking the 4CM and power cables together. no hum so far, and its a quick and foolproof setup

--the snake is rigged so that none of the cables can be pulled from the board at all.

--labeling snake cables at both ends with easy to read in darkness fluorescent labels

--loctite on straplock nuts. have backed off and had to hold the guitar against hip for a song

--spare patches abound, duh

--test routine upon rig setup==need to work on this

--picks everywhere

--spare guitar in same tuning

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D

View Post

funny, i used to use a coily cable. the vox one. it failed, which led me to another new ruke: no molded cables. when they fail, you are screwed. to circumvent that rule i would have to get a bullet coily, i think. may happen. my cable is long enough, i actually stepped on it right where it connected at the board, pulling it out just enough to kill signal, which sucks to troubleshoot mid song.

and im not talking about theft or damage from drunken fans. im talking about me being the idiot. so far my efforts include:

--keeping pedals as close as possible on board, not only for real estate, but to keep the patch cables from coming out of thei jacks

--ziptying underboard connections (stemmed from the days when i had a lot of underboard power connections that were attached mid-wire, those barrels slide out too easy

--snaking the 4CM and power cables together. no hum so far, and its a quick and foolproof setup

--the snake is rigged so that none of the cables can be pulled from the board at all.

--labeling snake cables at both ends with easy to read in darkness fluorescent labels

--loctite on straplock nuts. have backed off and had to hold the guitar against hip for a song

--spare patches abound, duh

--test routine upon rig setup==need to work on this

--picks everywhere

--spare guitar in same tuning

This is a really good list. I do nearly all this.

I'll add that I keep a really long (25ft) board>amp cable, and board power cable so I can always route it all the way around and out of the way so I never step on it.

Also, a pull probably wouldn't rip a cable out. If you look at the board in my sig, the guitar>board cable plugs into the top on the left side at a right angle (which I generall run under the board and out the right side), and the board>amp cable plugs into the tuner at a right angle so it saves space and makes it so if you yank at either one, it will either break the cable or rip a pedal off, but not pull it out. It would take a really really hard tug to do that though.

Gotta watch out for drunken bass players.

• Members

This thread has given me a lot of good ideas! Thanks guys! icon_lol.gif

As far as idiot proofing my board, I try to avoid purchasing pedals I can't replace... I've also changed out all of my george L cables for hosa, as the hosa are much more reliable and I dont have to baby them to keep them working. I build the board myself to pedaltrain pro specs, and then sprayed it with truck bed liner, so I'd say that part is pretty idiot proof as well. biggrin.gif

• Members

You never know. A couple of months ago I began having troubles, suddenly loosing signal from time to time.

I revised all pedals and jacks. I began to suspect of my 95 wah, my rc booster (!!)... I took my strat and amp to tech to revise input jacks. All ok.

After one month testing different pedals (normally I use from 6 to 10, depending on the band), patch cables, etc, the input jack in my Schecter seemed to be loosen too.

Finally, I discovered two instrument cables were broken, one of them, a NEW Planet Waves that I've just bought a couple of weeks before the whole mess began.

Archived