I could use an assistant or two... (co-moderator candidates)

Phil O'Keefe

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good point SVB, and that's something in Gareth's favor - he's in Northern Ireland IIRC.

But I don't know if the board could handle two Irishmen... ;)

Q. Why did God invent Whiskey and beer?

A. He didn't want the Irish to rule the world. ;)

Q. What's an Irish seven course meal?

A. A six pack of Guinness and a potato. ;)

Disclaimer: I'm joking. :) I can only say that because I'm an Irish-American; as my grandmother puts it - "about as Irish as Paddy's pig."

• Members
i don't have any recs, except i would like to suggest that we have mods located at different parts of the globe. For example, one from the uk and 2 from the states..one in the west coast and the other east coast. This way you will have a mod on at all times, well mostly...

That's a great suggestion. I think that could work out nicely. :thu:

• Members

*This idea could be fun*

Phil, might I suggest a "what would you do?" Battle Royal?

Post 5-6 different scenarios; things that you might encounter on a daily basis and let those contenders respond with how they would handle each situation.

The top two guys with the best responses get the job.

:snax:

• Members
*This idea could be fun*

Post 5-6 different scenarios; things that you might encounter on a daily basis and let those contenders respond with how they would handle each situation.

Those responses would probably need to be submitted privately.

• Members

This thread
reminded me that I could probably use an assistant. And since I value the forum community's input, I want to let you all have a say in the nomination and approval process.

If you'd like to be considered as a co-moderator for HCEF, please feel free to toss your hat into the ring here. No need to bother if you've been previously banned or had any "issues" though - all moderator candidates require the approval of the other mods, and we admins retain veto power.

The ideal candidate(s) would

Be willing to work long hours for no pay.

Be able to accept tons of abuse without losing their cool.

Would be somewhat knowledgeable about the forum's subject matter.

Would be merciless on trolls and spammers.

Would be stern - but fair.
;)

Previous babysitting experience a plus...
;)

:wave:

Seriously Phil, I'm up for this.

I've used internet forums for eight years now, and understand the climate of the cyber world.

I understand the difference between being a member and a moderator/admin, so wouldn't be unprofessional towards anyone, or in my own attitude.

I don't favour or target anybody.

I understand and respect the true nature of what this forum is supposed to be, rather than follow what it's become.

I don't expect any pay from this at all.

I've got a thick skin.

I hope that I'm considered, and appreciate feedback on my application, thank you.

• Members
*This idea could be fun*

Sounds good to me. Better to see what someone would do in the situation before actually giving them moderator powers and having them go nuts. :thu:

• Members
*This idea could be fun*

:snax: indeed.

Actually Jeff, one of the things I was just thinking about before coming back to this thread was some trial "assignments" for potential candidates; starting with a request for them to round up a list (from the two threads) of all candidates and post it, and then a request for all of them to write a couple hundred words on why they want to be a moderator and why they think they'd be a good one.... but your idea might be a good one for the question and answer emails I was thinking about sending out...

Or, we could do it in public. :)

Seriously Phil, I'm up for this.

I've used internet forums for eight years now, and understand the climate of the cyber world.

I understand the difference between being a member and a moderator/admin, so wouldn't be unprofessional towards anyone, or in my own attitude.

I don't favour or target anybody.

I understand and respect the true nature of what this forum is supposed to be, rather than follow what it's become.

I don't expect any pay from this at all.

I've got a thick skin.

I hope that I'm considered, and appreciate feedback on my application, thank you.

As my buddy Dave (he lives in Sydney) says - Globe - wrong side. ;)

Seriously, Perth is definitely geographically removed from all the UK and US folks, so that's definitely in your favor. Nomination noted, and it will be fully considered. :wave:

• Members
Seriously, Perth is definitely geographically removed from all the UK and US folks, so that's definitely in your favor. Nomination noted, and it will be fully considered.
:wave:

Thank you :) .

Also too, because of my time zone, I can tackle the trolls that strike during the middle of the night, because for me it's during the day.

Archived