I could use an assistant or two... (co-moderator candidates)

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

Well, one could also argue that those who troll the praise and worship thread should be banned. Also, the argument could be made that people who attempt to equate Christians with Neo-Nazis (and here, I thought the Nazis were aetheists) should be banned. It's all a slippery slope. The Praise and Worship thread isn't hurting anyone. Veil's Satanic Death Metal thread wasn't hurting anybody. Why don't we leave well enough alone?

The NSDAP Party Program stated:

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just for clarification, I made the P&W board thread.

The reason I made it is because Contemporary Christian music is a valid musical genre.
I could care less who/what you worship...that's not the point of the thread. It's also not a place for religious discussion.
It's simply a place where guys who play in church can post their gear and talk about what works for them in their church or where ever they play gigs.

It's the same thing as having a low-fi, alt-country or stoner-rock board thread. People who play in those types of bands have similar goals in the gear that they use.

Just because a thread is about pedals used on a board that someone uses in church, doesn't mean the thread should be locked or put into a seperate religious forum.

If that's your argument...then HCFX or all of HC should not exist, as threads about Boss pedals should be restricted to the Boss forum, threads about Fender guitars should be restricted to the Fender forum, etc etc etc.

Not being religious is one thing....but when you start wanting to get rid of threads because the topic clashes with your own beliefs....that's something completly different....just like locking the recent thread about vilifing whatever.

The problem with that thread is that some took it as a parody thread. People are bitching about parody threads....and it got locked. It's unfortunate because it was a parody of a P&W thread....so now everyone thinks that some dude who plays Christian music went and told the teacher and now everyone is pissed off.

Guess what people....grow up. Be a man....and when {censored} gets deleted/locked, deal with it. If you don't like it.....go somewhere else. You guys need to learn that not everyone is going to share your same beliefs/thoughts/ideas and that sometimes it's OK to agree to disagree.

Look man the same way you got to make your thread with your beliefs, we wanna have ours. They got locked for no reason so in a sense thats like stepping on another groups civil rights. Thats the point

• Members

Im just saying you share our views, theres plenty threads that should of been closed. Unfortunately alot of threads suffer because people think "hey that threads been around forever, let me see if this works!"

I personally dont think a CO-Mod would help at all. This discussion of a CO mod has only made things worst, ya know I remember the Circus having one ringleader not 2 ever.

I disagree. Moderation is a thankless job, almost all the time. This is an open registration forum, which means there isn't any up-front filter on content. It is also, however, intended to be an environment conducive to on-topic discussion. The beauty of the effects forum is that we have a healthy level of off-topic discussion as well, which I think is important for the sake of community-building. Since I've been here, it's been a good place to just chill. Lately, I've taken to posting less all around HC because of what I perceive as a rising environment of hostility and segregation (clique-ism, I guess) that makes it more difficult for a few different types of people to post:

1. Newcomers

2. Long-time lurkers who only occasionally post

3. Long-time members who have become primarily lurkers.

If the community is to continue in a positive direction, we have to be open (not hostile) to growth, which means that we have to be patient with new members and the endless, circular questions that result. I.e., not getting frustrated or always trying to take the piss out of threads talking about pedals. That doesn't mean offering the community and its standards up for consumption - a gentle reminder to use the search button is never a bad thing, though I think it lends itself to a dogpile-like atmosphere where one or two people get a bit rude with the newbie and then everyone jumps on board. It's kind of understandable, if unfortunate and base, because everyone wants a venue to express frustrations. But newcomers require a special kind of patience that I think we would all do well to adopt. A good community is a welcoming community, though I emphasize again that we don't have to abandon our traditions and standards in order to keep an influx of new, positive contributors from feeling unwelcome.

As to the lurkers, well, nothing is going to change the fast pace of discussion. However, perhaps part of what drives them to lurk is a feeling that not only is discussion moving quickly, but real discussion can sometimes be subordinated to off-topic discussion and self-referential and obnoxious navel-gazing. I'm talking about the kind of parody thread chains that make me cringe when I see them. It's not something for which I feel people ought to be punished, but as part of setting a standard for discussion and the atmosphere of the community I think we would be well served by thinking about a few things before posting parody threads. First, is it funny? Second, is it appropriate? And third, is it copy-cat nonsense? If it isn't funny, don't post it; if it isn't appropriate, don't post it; if it's just jumping on a bandwagon, don't post it. Perhaps most importantly, though, we need to remember that with the volume of posts that the forum receives anyway, we should be especially careful about knowingly degrading the signal-to-noise ratio of the forums.

I don't mean to sound condescending, but we attract a membership in accordance with the standards and practices of our community. If a prospective new member comes to visit and sees a combination of needlessly hateful or insulting threads and a big sea of complaints/parodies/etc., it represents us as a particular kind of place which I think doesn't actually show how great the forum can be. I've been happy to be a member here, and I still am, but I wish that we could have just a bit of introspection before posting some of the less useful things. I'm as guilty as any of you - I've posted one parody thread in the past, and it probably wasn't funny or appropriate, and it probably just made the forums worse for my having posted it. But we move forward, not backwards, so let's think about how we can make it a better place.

I think that's an admirable goal, whether or not further moderation is put in place. A community is constituted of its members. We make this house that we live in. It's up to us to make it a nice place to be. As far as moderation goes, I tend to favor light-touch public moderation with open communication through PMs to let people know if what they're doing isn't what we want going on.

• Members
Look man the same way you got to make your thread with your beliefs, we wanna have ours. They got locked for no reason so in a sense thats like stepping on another groups civil rights. Thats the point

Please re-read what I wrote. I completly agree. I'm not arguing that. I was just saying it's unfortunate because it was a valid thread. I also think that there was a little bit of parody behind it. Which is cool in my book (I love parody threads) but some people around here don't. Because of that....and because it seems like the powers that be want to stop the parody threads it got locked.

Now what sucks about the whole situation is some are taking it as a "Hey....the dudes in the Christian music thread told Phil about it" and I highly doubt that's the case. Some are tired of parody threads....and it was reported based on that.

It's really sad. HCFX forumites are turning on eachother like the HCFX & TGP rivalry. :facepalm:

Can't we just all get along?

• Members

If the community is to continue in a positive direction, we have to be open (not hostile) to growth, which means that we have to be patient with new members and the endless, circular questions that result. I.e., not getting frustrated or always trying to take the piss out of threads talking about pedals. That doesn't mean offering the community and its standards up for consumption - a gentle reminder to use the search button is never a bad thing, though I think it lends itself to a dogpile-like atmosphere where one or two people get a bit rude with the newbie and then everyone jumps on board. It's kind of understandable, if unfortunate and base, because everyone wants a venue to express frustrations. But newcomers require a special kind of patience that I think we would all do well to adopt. A good community is a welcoming community, though I emphasize again that we don't have to abandon our traditions and standards in order to keep an influx of new, positive contributors from feeling unwelcome.

Well most of these so called Candidates are guilty of this

Phil does a good job, if you got a prob theres a PM button. Ironically the only person I ever saw ask some one to do such was Garrett

• Members

man, re-read what he's saying. he's basically agreeing with you.

Let's not make this about religion. Everyone is just going to get bent out of shape. But I think most of us, regardless of beliefs, can agree that locking Veil's thread is not cool. It's not about religion, it's about a new mod suddenly deciding which threads are and which threads aren't worthwhile.

• Members

I would love to ad my rig to an atheist + agnostics + free thinkers rig thread if one were to "manifest itself"

I just think we should focus on what we have in common rather than what divides us. Otherwise it will and up like the amp forum where only a certain type of person feels welcome....

The praise and worship thread divides people on here, I know that's not it's intention of it but it does. The great thing about the 'post your pedal board' thread is that it includes everyone, small boards, expensive boards, 'floor' boards and whatever, the point i'm making is we don't need a different thread for every type, especially when it's religious based...lets face it, it's a thread where christian people can pat each other on the back and say 'I'm one of you'...it's only 'praise and worship' when you are praising and worshiping the same thing as us.

ah, bollocks whatever, I'm not here to argue about religion...........I'm here to relax and see what's new on the pedal front.

• Members
I just think we should focus on what we have in common rather than what divides us. Otherwise it will and up like the amp forum where only a certain type of person feels welcome....

The praise and worship thread divides people on here, I know that's not it's intention of it but it does. The great thing about the 'post your pedal board' thread is that it includes everyone, small boards, expensive boards, 'floor' boards and whatever, the point i'm making is we don't need a different thread for every type, especially when it's religious based...lets face it, it's a thread where christian people can pat each other on the back and say 'I'm one of you'...it's only 'praise and worship' when you are praising and worshiping the same thing as us.

ah, bollocks whatever, I'm not here to argue about religion...........I'm here to relax and see what's new on the pedal front.

That's not the point dude. Never was the point. :idk: I don't know....but the thread isn't hurting anyone.

And...if you're going to go there...you might as well stop the threads like the SG Army, the Fender Bassman owner thread, the FD2 thread. Those too are threads where people can pat each other on the back and say "I'm one of you" :rolleyes:

If you're here to see what's new on the pedal front....then don't open the P&W thread. It's as simple as that. I don't open threads that have no bearing on my interests.

• Members

man, re-read what he's saying. he's basically agreeing with you.

Let's not make this about religion. Everyone is just going to get bent out of shape. But I think most of us, regardless of beliefs, can agree that locking Veil's thread is not cool. It's not about religion, it's about a new mod suddenly deciding which threads are and which threads aren't worthwhile.

I know hes agreeing with me but I wrote basicially why Veil feels that he got screwed over. This isnt about religion, religion in forums is poison. I still believe that this whole Co Moderator thing has light up some sort of bomb, cause we dont want change. Thats the god damn truth, we're scared of change. I dont want a Co Mod cause its pointless, this got started because of a thread where we praised the fact that Trolls were gone(garrett) and if anything that ban should of been forever, he got banned like 3 times WTF. I always lurked and saw the same BS goin on, thats why I dont think we need another Mod. People are nominating their boys for a job thats already filled.

• Members

This is exactly the case and when the OP is going to defend it with "like it or leave" then at this point future bumps will seem like more nose-rubbing than anything else.

• Members

then stop making this about religion melx, if you don't want to focus on things that divide us...

• Members

In the last couple days while this topic has evolved, I have noticed distinctly that the people who want to be the new moderators are talking about stuff like cleaning up HCFX and making it like it used to be when that has never been the attitude on this forum. Phil does a very good job of MAINTAINING this forum but neither overmoderating it nor forcing his own view of what the forum should be upon the community. I think the way things are here have long been the result of Phil doing just enough to keep the forum running. He does everything right so I am usually not sure he has done much at all. Im not convinced that finding another person that can do that will be as easy as culling out old-timers or "nice guys" that everyone seems to like to take on the job. In the last 24 hours the forum has become over-moderated with all the candidates ambitiously reporting posts. It has also stirred up the community so that people are now creating flaggable posts and causing more problems because of all the moderator talk. Basically, I think its going to be pretty hard to find another moderator like Phil that is going to have the right touch for this forum. I think its going to be especially hard to find someone that wont project their own view of what the forum should be on the community to its detriment.

• Members
In the last couple days while this topic has evolved, I have noticed distinctly that the people who want to be the new moderators are talking about stuff like cleaning up HCFX and making it like it used to be when that has never been the attitude on this forum. Phil does a very good job of MAINTAINING this forum but neither overmoderating it nor forcing his own view of what the forum should be upon the community. I think the way things are here have long been the result of Phil doing just enough to keep the forum running. He does everything right so I am usually not sure he has done much at all. Im not convinced that finding another person that can do that will be as easy as culling out old-timers or "nice guys" that everyone seems to like to take on the job. In the last 24 hours the forum has become over-moderated with all the candidates ambitiously reporting posts. It has also stirred up the community so that people are now creating flaggable posts and causing more problems because of all the moderator talk. Basically, I think its going to be pretty hard to find another moderator like Phil that is going to have the right touch for this forum. I think its going to be especially hard to find someone that wont project their own view of what the forum should be on the community to its detriment.

:eek: Dude! :thu:

Archived