Game of Thrones

Ryan.

• Members

I just finished the 5th book. Kinda disappointed if I'm honest. So much build up and hardly any pay off at the end, I thought he'd at least get the trials out of the way. Or make a little more of the battle in the north. An excellent series, but it's looking more and more likely that he peaked with A Storm of Swords.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I kind of agree with the disappointment. I read in an interview that GRRM had started writing what would eventually become book 6, and planned to tell the events of books 4 & 5 in flashbacks. When he realized that wasn't possible he then wrote what became books 4 & 5. They are essentially backstory with not a lot of plot movement.

I'm hoping this is true and book 6 is paced like the first 3.

• Members

I recall reading somewhere that books 4 and 5 were two halves of the same book, with book 4 focusing on certain characters and book 5 focusing on others, all within the same time frame.

That's what the lengthy author's note in Feast for Crows claims. I wonder if it is still included in current printings. It made Martin sound really whiny, and it also turned out to be a load of bull, so I would not be surprised if it was dropped from the book.

• Members

the trajectory is similar to stephen king's dark tower series. gets too big and starts to fall apart.

Apparently Martin has been responding to criticisms in his blog by saying "plot isn't everything." I just don't see how he's possibly going to finish.

• Members

you reading it in deutsch, benny?

i've often wondered how they handle the names of people and places in the various translations.

I lived in Munich for a bunch of years and was always borrowing books from my girlfriend at the time. There doesn't seem to be any standard way to handle it. Brave New World, for example, is actually set in Germany in the translation I read.

The other thing that blew my mind is that Germans love to read novels about alcoholics and deviants in the US. Charles Bukowski was very trendy. In that same kind of vein, Last Exit to Brooklyn was a best-seller (despite being decades old). I've read Bukowski stories in German that I've never even seen in English.

• Members

Apparently Martin has been responding to criticisms in his blog by saying "plot isn't everything." I just don't see how he's possibly going to finish.

Sounds alot like Lost...

"No, you just don't get it. It wasn't about the mysteries! It was about the characters!"

ooookay.

• Members

you reading it in deutsch, benny?

i've often wondered how they handle the names of people and places in the various translations.

erm sorry, i start with the "TV-series" - but i would read a book/story like this in german... or better i would check first the reviews. some books are horrible translate and lost part of the story or they miss the joke etc. i tried Lord of the Rings in english and that was just a pain for me :( Douglas Adams storys are way more fun in english... so it is different from book to book

• Members

I lived in Munich for a bunch of years and was always borrowing books from my girlfriend at the time. There doesn't seem to be any standard way to handle it. Brave New World, for example, is actually set in Germany in the translation I read.

The other thing that blew my mind is that Germans love to read novels about alcoholics and deviants in the US. Charles Bukowski was very trendy. In that same kind of vein, Last Exit to Brooklyn was a best-seller (despite being decades old). I've read Bukowski stories in German that I've never even seen in English.

thats it. the question is which kind of story and genre.. who is the author, who translated etc. And one thing is the "slang" - same with u.s. movies in german... they said "{censored}" all the time, but what is the german word for with the same meaning and would it work for the charachter and the emotion etc.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

OK, so i just learned something that made me :facepalm:

Ser Ilyn Payne, the executioner who'd had his tongue cut out, is played by none other than Wilko Johnson, one of the greatest (and most under-rated) guitarists alive. He somehow plays lead and rhythm at the same time and just makes it look so effortless, and with no pick too.

468142-ilyn_payne_large.png

I knew I recognised that glare! I strongly recommend watching Julien Temple's documentary about his old band (the proto-punk, R&B legends Doctor Feelgood) Oil City Confidential - even if you're not into the music it's a truly great documentary and Wilko absolutely steals the show.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Yep. Watched my way through the DVDs, and then again with the commentaries. Now bring on season 2
:thu:

Season 2 Ep. 1 is aired today according to wiki. That's for the states I think. We're usually a few days behind the states release date for HBO programmes. Do you know the when & where of it?

• Members

I am about to start watching this show. Everyone I know is rock hard for it so why not?

I used to swear these kinds of shows off because Its the same situation every time... Start watching a show with a planned multiple season arc... Get hooked... First and second season get pumped out by network... Hook gets deeper... Show wins awards... Actors want more money... Writers become divas... Seasons take huge gaps and breaks... You, the fan left in the wind... Finale never lives up to massive expectations.

Archived