OT: The Ultimate "Vox AC30 re-issue" Thread!!

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

im thinking of replacing the warfdale speakers in my AC30CC, wich speakers are recommended, wich power rating should i use, can i mix speakers etc...

I'm thinking of a weber blue mixed with a greenback, but i don't know what effect this will have. Are there any other people inhere that mixes speakers?

any comments on the eminence redcoats?

• Members

im thinking of replacing the warfdale speakers in my AC30CC, wich speakers are recommended, wich power rating should i use, can i mix speakers etc...

I'm thinking of a weber blue mixed with a greenback, but i don't know what effect this will have. Are there any other people inhere that mixes speakers?

any comments on the eminence redcoats?

You can mix speakers by all means, many folks have one Celestion Blue and one Greenback in their Vox. This gives you two options when it comes to putting a mic at the cab.

You need two 8ohm speakers for the 16ohms your amp puts out, although I seem to recall the CC amps have switchable output, so you may have other options available to you.

Webers are great value compared to the current Celestion Alnico, drop Ted an email and ask for his recommendations, he's never less than helpful, a great guy to deal with.

• Members

The Blues in my Vox are only 15w each, I have no idea about other speakers, sorry, never felt the need to try any others. Check out the Vox forum over at Plexi Palace, a quick search will deliver countless threads on speaker opinions with AC30s, registering and asking in your own thread is also an idea ... http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=1c1b7f9f5c5a6bad7bef22e2394b82e3

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Hi to everybody, i'm new to this group....
i've a question and i believe that you can help me.
I've bought an used ac30, the rear label says: ac30/6 TB number M-2001-09-052-A
I supposed that 2001 is year of manufature so it should be a vox/korg.
This amp is equipped of two blue alnico speakers, but my knoweledge says me that only the ac30 TBX has blue alnico speak, not the TB model....
So what kind of ac30 is mine????????
Anyway to my hears it sounds really great!!!!!!!
Can anyone say me somethings more about my amp????
Thank's..........

• Members

mabu77, congrats on the amp. I'd say it's most likely that your amp originally came supplied with Greenbacks and someone was kind enough to swap them for Blues somewhere along the line.

Hope you enjoy it, this thread contains a wealth of (mis)information on the amp and you could always drop in at the Plexi Palace to find out anything else you need... http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=1c1b7f9f5c5a6bad7bef22e2394b82e3

Best of luck.

• Members

Hi to everybody, i'm new to this group....

i've a question and i believe that you can help me.

I've bought an used ac30, the rear label says: ac30/6 TB number M-2001-09-052-A

I supposed that 2001 is year of manufature so it should be a vox/korg.

This amp is equipped of two blue alnico speakers, but my knoweledge says me that only the ac30 TBX has blue alnico speak, not the TB model....

So what kind of ac30 is mine????????

Anyway to my hears it sounds really great!!!!!!!

Can anyone say me somethings more about my amp????

Thank's..........

Whoever owned that Vox, upgraded them with Alnicos. My old AC30 was exactly like that AC30/6 TB with greenbacks.

• Members

Wow!thanks to everyone for your precious info!
so do y think I bought a good amp, don't I?....;-)
is it right to say that my AC30 TB was upg to TBX vox (blu alnico instead of greenback)?....

• Members
Wow!thanks to everyone for your precious info!

so do y think I bought a good amp, don't I?....;-)

is it right to say that my AC30 TB was upg to TBX vox (blu alnico instead of greenback)?....

Good amp? Try excellent! I miss mine since I sold it 2 years ago. :cry:

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I shall jump in here and shout 'bollocks' as my AC15TBR has just died. I don't think it's the valves. Only the 5Y3 tube glows when turned on, everything else is deadski. Oh dear. I had it running alongside my Cornell Romany Plus and the pair sounded so happy together this morning, a hazy sun in the sky...

• Members
I shall jump in here and shout 'bollocks' as my AC15TBR has just died. I don't think it's the valves. Only the 5Y3 tube glows when turned on, everything else is deadski. Oh dear. I had it running alongside my Cornell Romany Plus and the pair sounded so happy together this morning, a hazy sun in the sky...

Psst, it's an "AC30" thread..not your wimpy AC15 :p

;)

• Members

I know. I thought I'd come in here and mock all the AC30 owners. They're the ones walking along with the hunched back after carrying their super-heavy monster all these years :)

Now to find a good amp man. I'm really tempted to keep the speaker and cab and find a nice person to do a brand new wiring thing for it. Yes it'd cost money. Lots of money. But {censored} it, I want my Vox sound back.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I was trying to find some info on Vox Celestions and came across this forum. They are grey alnicos, the code on the gaskets is T1088, the date code on one is 24FK, the other is fainter and the number looks like 13 but the letters are definitely FK. From my searching I've worked out that this is the date code for June 1965. The code on the speaker cones is 9/M1777.

Anybody have any idea what they might be worth?

• Members

I was trying to find some info on Vox Celestions and came across this forum. They are grey alnicos, the code on the gaskets is T1088, the date code on one is 24FK, the other is fainter and the number looks like 13 but the letters are definitely FK. From my searching I've worked out that this is the date code for June 1965. The code on the speaker cones is 9/M1777.

Anybody have any idea what they might be worth?

Hey. Those are some of the best vintage speakers you could hope to find, bar none. You'll see them on Ebay from time to time, sold individually as well as in pairs. I have seen a pair sell for $500. A pair in really good cosmetic condition might bring more.

You might want to check out this forum for more information:

http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewforum.php?f=12

Good luck!!!

• Members

Thanks for the link Lawton, I'll check it out.

Oh, and just in case you're interested, the speakers were in a 2 x 12 cabinet I bought at a garage sale here in Melbourne, Australia. The cab had the name Premier across the front & came with the amplifier (approx. 30 watts I was told by someone who knows) also a Premier. Both amp & cab Australian made in the '70s.

After it had sat in my garage for a year I thought I'd get rid of it on ebay but, fortunately, decided to open up the cabinet before doing so. It was fully enclosed with 16 screws holding the rear panel in place. Imagine my surprise when I saw the blue & gold VOX labels on the back of the speakers! Obviously they weren't the original speakers for that cab and obviously the guy who sold it to me didn't know they were in there because I got the amp & cab for A$15!!

• Members

Pedro, that's absolutely awesome. It's so cool that stuff like that still happens, in spite of what Ebay has done as far as raising awareness of the value of vintage stuff (or actually raising the value of vintage gear, which I think it has done generally).

If those speakers are in good shape & fully functional you should keep them and play through them. You won't ever have better speakers. The T1088 gray alnicos are essentially the same speakers as the early 60s blues, from what I understand. The silver alnicos that came along later in '65 (or in '66) have a higher rating (25w or so) and have the same cone as the G12M (Greenback). Those are the speakers that are usually associated with the early Marshall (Bluesbreaker) tones. Your greys are like the blues, the voice of the British Invasion (i.e., Beatles) tones.

Enjoy!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey guys got an AC30CC2 here...have had it for about two years.

I noticed recently I had to turn the master volume knob more to get a louder volume than before. Before, I could get a pretty good volume in my room at around the 2 oclock position. Now I have to turn it to 4 or 5 oclock to get the same level of volume. Is this normal behavior as the amp ages?

Archived