OT: The Ultimate "Vox AC30 re-issue" Thread!!

• Members

Nice, this is a thread I read when I was working out whether to buy a Vox back in summer 2008.

I got an AC30cc2, and loved it, gradually upgrading it over time, trying out different speakers etc. Tried it with Celestion Blues, G12H30 and greenbacks, eventually have settled on a Weber Alnico Blue Dog and Silver Bell, which are perfect for me.

I did the bright cap mod a couple of years ago and it makes a huge difference to how well the amp takes pedals. In October I made a bunch of mods to the amp which was great fun - learned how to solder and got stuck right in. I changed the coupling caps to Sozo ones which sweetened up the tone - less muddiness and harshness. Changed the plate resistors on V1 so the amp had a bit more grind from the first valve. Removed a capacitor from V2 to make the top boost channel have more headroom at the second valve and less bass at high volume - again to stop it getting muddy. Then I went to work on the power section, put a new power and output transformer in and a choke, all from Mercury Magnetics, and bypassed the standby switch since it's not needed. Between those changes and the speakers I've got my dream vox tone - chimey, thick, clear at gig volume, I love to play it.

There's a pretty valid argument to say that making all these upgrades and mods has cost me as much as if I got a vintage amp or a boutique one, but I like having an amp that's different under the hood from most others out there, helps keep it all a bit mysterious! ;)

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Ahhhhhhhh yeah, after about 6 months sitting in a corner gathering dust I finally got my AC30 repaired :cool:

sdc15049j.jpg

Complete new revalve too, went with cheap JJ valves this time as this amp is expensive enough to revalve anyway without going for "higher end" valves. I did alot of reading up and it turns out the expensive Harma valves I used last time were made in the same factory to the same specs as the JJs but were just twice the price because they were hand picked :|

sdc15045t.jpg

Classic amp, I forgot how hard they can rock :rawk:

Time to give the old JCM800 a rest :D

• Members

Hey, anybody have a good method for getting a saggy grill cloth back up to/under the gold bar? Is the gold bar removable? I don't mind punk rock solutions, so I was just thinking of firing a bunch of industrial staples across the top, but I think the grill cloth will probably just stretch and tear over time.

You can see the saggy grill cloth in my sig.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Hey There

Please could you help me with the following

I have a question for you. I have a Vox ac30 Top Boost reissue with the blue speakers. Serial 93A164209

What can I sell it for these days? I have looked everywhere and can

Archived