• Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Loobs

View Post

Pre or post cottaging?

Oh Loobsy! I had to look that up and I didn't like it. Only in England. cop.gif

Quote Originally Posted by tape

View Post

yeah I saw those on flickr, really awesome and bleak!

those twin lens reflex cameras are sexy as hell! but when I eventually do get my hands on a medium format camera, it'll probably be a single lens. mostl ikely a cheap hassy or an arax http://araxfoto.com/cameras/

Thanks! Yeah, I've really dug the idea of TLRs (and medium format film, it's so gorgeous) for a little while and I really wanted to try one out myself to see if I liked it. Luckily I have access to the Mamiya and I loved it so far, I'm thinking about picking up a TLR for myself. Medium format SLRs are cool too, but I love how silent the TLR is. Even my 35mm SLR sounds like a door slamming when the mirror flips up, apparently that's even louder on medium format SLRs with the bigger mirrors. I also have access to a Bronica so I might try that out too. Bronicas are supposed to be good and relatively cheap medium format SLRs with lots of good lenses available. You should also look into the Kiev-88 for a Hasselblad clone with a Pentacon Six mount, they're supposed to be great if they work properly.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Pain-MD

View Post

Thanks! Yeah, I've really dug the idea of TLRs (and medium format film, it's so gorgeous) for a little while and I really wanted to try one out myself to see if I liked it. Luckily I have access to the Mamiya and I loved it so far, I'm thinking about picking up a TLR for myself. Medium format SLRs are cool too, but I love how silent the TLR is. Even my 35mm SLR sounds like a door slamming when the mirror flips up, apparently that's even louder on medium format SLRs with the bigger mirrors. I also have access to a Bronica so I might try that out too. Bronicas are supposed to be good and relatively cheap medium format SLRs with lots of good lenses available. You should also look into the Kiev-88 for a Hasselblad clone with a Pentacon Six mount, they're supposed to be great if they work properly.

the arax-88 is actually a fixed up modded kiev-88!

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Tape..

Your a minolta shooter right?

What film are you using? I love, absolutely love the colour and contrast your getting. Are those touched up any?

90% of the time, one of these two:
kodak ektar 100
kodak portra 160VC

ektar is modern film, so "realistic" colors and a lot of detail. portra has realy nice pastel hues and isn't as detailed. I love it! they're "touched up" in the sense that I play around with the scanner settings a bit. scanner equivalent of white balance, contrast, exposure, that sort of stuff. I do my own scanning because the development place does a poor job.

the top pic is my own scan. the bottom what the dev house gave me as JPG

filmscan.jpg

all the black stuff in the bottom pic is totally void of detail. the pic doesn't look bad, but maybe I don't want it like that! maybe I want to bring the details out. with the dev house's "one setting fits all" compromise to scanning, I dont always get what I want. I can't apply levels to that JPG. whatever detail might've been in the black areas is gone forever.

so now I scan them myself. scan myself and all of a sudden I have a ton more options. it's more work, though. so yeah, in a sense they're touched up. nothing drastic, though. nothing in photoshop except maybe the heal brush.

got my 1.2 btw!

5622496909_e166d2e984_z.jpg

• Members

90% of the time, one of these two:

kodak ektar 100

kodak portra 160VC

ektar is modern film, so "realistic" colors and a lot of detail. portra has realy nice pastel hues and isn't as detailed. I love it! they're "touched up" in the sense that I play around with the scanner settings a bit. scanner equivalent of white balance, contrast, exposure, that sort of stuff. I do my own scanning because the development place does a poor job.

the top pic is my own scan. the bottom what the dev house gave me as JPG

filmscan.jpg

all the black stuff in the bottom pic is totally void of detail. the pic doesn't look bad, but maybe I don't want it like that! maybe I want to bring the details out. with the dev house's "one setting fits all" compromise to scanning, I dont always get what I want. I can't apply levels to that JPG. whatever detail might've been in the black areas is gone forever.

so now I scan them myself. scan myself and all of a sudden I have a ton more options. it's more work, though. so yeah, in a sense they're touched up. nothing drastic, though. nothing in photoshop except maybe the heal brush.

got my 1.2 btw!

5622496909_e166d2e984_z.jpg

oh hell yes!!! 1.2. i was awaiting your NEW 1.2 day!

what scanner do you use? i'm about to buy one. I think the Epson V something series. It's around $150 i think.

I can get film processed at about 2.50 a pop. And i figure the scanner will end up paying for itself.

edit. Also taking note of film. I'll be ordering some film soon once i go through this "grocery store" fuji that's expired. I recently got a 35mm Holga. I'd love an old school nikon but.. Cash is going to other places.

Archived