Stoner Metal Pedalboard

Sunsetcarcrash

• Members

My little brother has been playing guitar for a couple years and is starting to work on his pedalboard... He is into the Black Sabbath/The Sword stoner metal sound... Being the Alt-Country/Blues obsessed type that I am, I quickly realized that I know nothing about pedals which fall outside my realm... What kind of stuff would sound good? What type of effects would he need?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wah, boost, big ol' mid-gain British tube amp. Maybe one choice mod or delay pedal, used sparingly, too many bands in the scene run a couple of Gibsons through Muffs into JCMs and they all turn out sounding the same. More mud than sludge and that's never a good thing. Stack a whole lot of boost into something like a Sound City, an old Orange or even a Bassman and it'll spit fire in a way a JCM800 or a fuzz could never hope to. Muffs work better for slower, groovier stuff, but you always run the risk of sounding like a Kyuss rip-off. As far as other fuzzes go, ratty Japanese stuff (or a Fuzz Factory) is great for psych/space stoner stuff a la early Monster Magnet, and Fuzz Facey sounds are good for a more classic feel, but I'd give them a miss for the metal side of stoner.

• Members

The Matamp is gone now, sadly I never got it on record, but ah well! Despite everything above though, my favourite stoner tone, albeit for slower rockier stuff, comes from a local guy who runs an old humbucker goldtop LP Custom through (of all things) a pair of DOD FX57s into a Silverface Bassman 100. Dude's put an awful lot of time into his art and words can't describe how immense it sounds.

I'm trying to find something on record that does it justice but nothing matches standing in front of that rig.

[YOUTUBE]iFVRDkwou_U[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]wxF_Dq_Ylj8[/YOUTUBE]

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Thats kinda what i thought... Right now he has a 30 watt all tube Laney Head on a Marshall 2 12... I found the head at a pawnshop for 200 bucks so i snatched that shit up!

Humbucker guitar -->T-Rex Mudhoney -->new Bass Big Muff -->NYC RI Big Muff -->Laney GH50 head into 2x15 + 4x12 :thu:

:evil:

• Members

Russian Big Muff (maybe even a vintage one?)

Morley Tel-Ray Wah (this one rips ribcages open)

a good tuner for tuning down.

a clean sounding head with a monstruous gain channel, like a Laney.

or, otherwise, a Matamp or a Sunn head :love:

a 4x12 cab, at least, two would be much better.

a good Les Paul guitar with SD's or something, not those clean guitars like ESP's with clean EMG pickups, that won't do at all...

tell him the trick is in the amp, no matter what he does, he's never gonna pull out such a huge monstruous massive tone out of a combo, no combo on this earth.

Archived