Stoner Metal Pedalboard

Sunsetcarcrash

• Members

Why did you sell the Matamp ???
:confused:

Couldn't justify having $4000/120kg/7' of amp sitting around if I wasn't gigging, and I preferred the Sound City. The Matamp was a strange amp, very much a one trick pony, not much headroom but not much gain either, so everything just had that distinctive fuzzy tinge to it. Though less than half the posted wattage the SC stayed cleaner louder, and sounded better when slammed hard enough to really grind.

Of course, the band is back together now and in the intervening period I dug up this:

klipp4ql1.jpg

I still prefer the SC though, so the other guitarist is using it in favour of his Orange.

Oh, and we're still fuzz-free and very happy that way.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is the Polysaturator your only dirt box ?

How do you find it for Stoner/Doom tones ?

. . . i am thinking of getting one !

Please tell me more about this little green box.

I've got a few others but this sounds the best for stoner/doom type music. On the Pigtronix site they describe it as a distortion but it really sounds like a fuzz more than anything. You can get a really nice boost out of it as well. With it set up the way it is in that pic I can nail Matt Pike's guitar tone perfectly.

• Members

. Though less than half the posted wattage the SC stayed cleaner louder, and sounded better when slammed hard enough to really grind.

Of course, the band is back together now and in the intervening period I dug up this:

klipp4ql1.jpg

I still prefer the SC though, so the other guitarist is using it in favour of his Orange.

Oh, and we're still fuzz-free and very happy that way.

Hey one of my female friends in the UK has a Klipp.

(just how do you pronounce it correctly ?)

She wanted a MATAMP, then someone told her that there is a Klipp for sale. She never even heard about a Klipp before.

Went to try it out, because this guy insisted she do so, she bought it on the spot for something like

• Members

Pronounced just like Clip.

FDZ man what's your band's name? I might come chiggity check you guys out if the vibe is cool.

Solar Titan. We played around a fair bit with guys like Peeping Tom, Dread and Clagg a year or two back before taking a break, should hopefully have a few more gigs lined up within the next few months. Got a coupla tracks around from a quick demo we knocked out way back, though it's all AD30 and DSL50.

• Members

...and this is awesome too! What year is all that stuff from?

Like when they were made or when I bought them?

all of the avatar cabs were bought between Dec '06 and early '08.... the Laney is from the 80s, but I bought it in '06... I bought the Bandmaster in like 2002... the JCM900 was like 2003... the Bogen was 2008.... the "doom cloud" SG was 2001... and the other one was 2007...

• Members

Dude, that is a sweet setup. How many watts is the Sovtek and what does it sound like?

its a 50 watt tube midget. gets very jcm800 ish tone, i honestly just use it as a backup input 1 is closer to my marshall and input 2 is closer to my bassman.

• Members

Sound city?! Eurgh. They were the Behringer of their day.

Are you sure? Alot of amps were looked down upon then.....Traynor and Garnet were and often had inferior speakers (I am not a fan of Marsland), but the build quality on the amps themselves were bloody amazing. Traynor and Garnet are often going for very large sums now and are getting harder to find.

• Members
FDZ, I'm digging those tunes... Sweet tone.

Thanks dude. I wish we had some more stuff recorded, those are probably two of the first three songs we wrote and I think we got much better at writing as time went on.

• 3 years later...
  • Members
olc_orangepeel.jpg
?

love,

eor

So can this pedal basically replace a OD pedal? i'm trying to find some sound clips but there isn't that much around. I lie the sounds i hear, but i want to know if I could replace my OD pedal with this...as well as get all the other tonal goodness it provides!

• Members

also....i notice that everyone is recommending big stacks...50w+ heads and 4x12's etc...what if you cant do that at home and you still want a good stoner tone, and all you can fit sound wise and space wise is a combo...what then?

I have to downgrade to a small combo amp, and looking at Tiny Terror, Laney Cub12, Blackstar HT5, Fender Blues Junior? what are the thoughts on these?

• Members

also....i notice that everyone is recommending big stacks...50w+ heads and 4x12's etc...what if you cant do that at home and you still want a good stoner tone, and all you can fit sound wise and space wise is a combo...what then?

I have to downgrade to a small combo amp, and looking at Tiny Terror, Laney Cub12, Blackstar HT5, Fender Blues Junior? what are the thoughts on these?

A Tiny Terror with BAT Pharoah & Black Forest can deff bring the DOOM !

I would also recommend the T-Rex Mudhoney MKII & DbA Fuzz War for even more DOOM tones at your feet.

Lori S from Acid King gets her crushing tone from a JCM800 & 70's era Little Big Muff.

I can get close to her tone (or atleast my version there of) with my Class 5 & EHX Double Muff.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Ii remember going through a bunch of stoner metal pedalboard pages and finding a psychedelic rock board thread or maybe it was the other way around. either way. some sweet boards were posted. best was a green russian muff and olddd DMM. best stoner metal doesn't use tons of effects just great riffs. Except baroness. they played little things in atl amd that wss maybe the best sound i have ever heard. one of his str next to baraels blade live after the first. deep hit of a chillum.

i think it was some sort of strymon ping ponging through three amps at different tones and gains. knda sitar like. pretty sure he was using skreddy lunar module that tour also.

• Members

+1 on the cheap boss pedal suggestion. There's plenty of other/different/booteeqier options, but impo If you can't do it with a HM-2 and/or FZ-2, you might as well give up. Something like a DS-2/FZ-3 combination for instance would work like a charm too.

Archived