A consolidation of Mooer Micro Pedal reviews.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Will Chen View Post
Man, I almost wish I had ordered from Prymaxe. The wait time from China is excruciating. I've got a Joyo which supposedly shipped on the 8th. My MOOER pedals shipped on the 20th, I hope they don't take as long as the Joyo is taking...
It was 18 days from China to Spain, take it easy!

They were shipped immediately, but chinese postal service, well...

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by big_cat View Post
which joyo, will?
Sweet Baby, I already have the UD as well.

Quote Originally Posted by elfroi View Post
It was 18 days from China to Spain, take it easy!

I've ordered stuff from China before and it's always been pretty quick. Maybe they shipped by air before and are now going by boat. Who knows...but as Tom Petty warned...the waiting is the hardest part!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by elfroi

View Post

I received a customer complaint at work where at some point during transit, CPS removed 3 of my tests from the shipping box and replaced them with a concrete brick! facepalm.gif

• Members
Why? It's pretty inexpensive? There's almost no reason not to if you like delay.
Because I already have 7 other Mooers... (The Ensemble King arrived today...) and I'm facing some big bills upcoming. Still highly tempted though! I'm also planning on putting them on a 5 pedal only board I'm making, so even the 7 is overkill (probably will eventually ditch the Shimverb (I prefer dry) and maybe the Pitchbox though.

And I love the complaints about waiting. Welcome to my pedal-life. Ordering things from overseas is part of life for a lot of us! Suck it up, kids. Life aint so bad.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by stevemcb

View Post

I'm also planning on putting them on a 5 pedal only board I'm making

Only problem I see with this is switches would be very close, and you must have a very tiny feet to not press two at once.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by One Man Banned View Post
OK...my last batch of Mooer pedals has arrived. Other than ordering a few backups of my favorites I probably won't place another order until they come out with something new (hopefully they'll re-release the Pure Octave and Blue Comp soon) so this will be my last review for a while but I encourage other users to post their opinions (good and bad) as well. Here it goes...

Mooer Reecho
Wow! If you've seen the video above you have some idea of what it sounds like...but playing it in person gives you the full story...it's good...really good. All the modes sound great. Long and short delay sounds from DM-2 to Deluxe Memory Man. It's just sounds great and when you consider the cost there is just no reason NOT to have one or two of these on your board...and the size makes it easy to squeeze them in there without too much trouble. No volume drop when it engages...it does what you expect it to do and it does it well. Sounded great paired with the ElecLady flanger. Easily sounded like a setup 3 or 4 times more expensive than what you'll pay for it. Seriously, unless you hate delay there's no reason not to have one. I'd reach for it over similar models on my M-9, any Boss delay and a lot of other delays available to me.

Mooer ElecLady
I like the Deluxe Electric Mistress. It's probably my favorite flanger...I've tried the Hartman flanger which is a clone of the DEM and I have to say I actually like the Mooer ElecLady better. It's a little less warm than the DEM but it's definitely in the same ballpark tone wise. It nails that Andy Summers sound and gets some fairly classic flange tones. The filter matrix switch works like the DEM and is great for cello like leads when used with a saturated lead tone. It can get crazy squalls and screams when the color knob is tweaked. You'll also get weird whistles and whoops when the range is set in various positions so you'll want to play around with it a bit but overall, dialing in a great flange sound is pretty straight forward. There is no noticeable volume drop when engaged and like all Mooer pedals it seems fairly well made. If you like the EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress you'll find a lot to like here. It IS to the Deluxe Electric Mistress what the Ensemble King was to the CE-2. Check it out.

Mooer Rage Machine
OK...It's a metal pedal...it is like the Blade in that it is bright with the controls set at noon. Unlike the Blade, however, you're able to dial it back so that it's at least reasonably usable. It's not my favorite metal pedal, but not the utter door stop that the Blade is. It's actually nice for fast metal leads...cutting, lots of sustain without sounding too thin. It's not bad for rhythm but I tend to like my metal rhythm tones more pummeling with a lot of mid range growl. This pedal won't do that. The most useful tones were with the bass at about 4:00 (it really kicks in the low end goodies around 3:00 where it goes from suddenly thin to BOOM), the treble between 10:00 and 11:00 and the gain around 9:00 and 10:00. If you're looking for a main metal distortion sound this probably isn't it. If you're looking for a lead pedal for recording or live use, it just might do the trick.
8-26-2012 UPDATE ON THE RAGE MACHINE
OK...so while I wasn't thrilled with this pedal initially I recently changed up my amps and guitar setup for my other band The Girlfriend Experience to go back to the same basic setup I used back when we were together 5 years ago. For some reason the fuzz that I've been using with my setup for Tokyo Raid started sounding really farty and undefined. I tried working the tone and gain knobs and just couldn't get it to sound right. Everything else was sounding exactly like I wanted it to but this one sound that I use on 3 songs just wasn't happening. So I started running through my fuzz and distortion collection to find a pedal that would do what I needed...there were a couple that came really close but I just wasn't getting quite the right balance of brightness, low end, sustain and mid range roar. I could have tweaked my amp settings but then everything else wouldn't have sounded right...I just needed one or two pedals to play nice with the rest of the setup and I'd be set.

So after exhausting everything I decided to pull out the Mooer Rage Machine figuring if everything else can sound so drastically different with this setup maybe the Mooer will click with it...and it did. What was kind of a bright metal sound now warmed up enough with this particular setup and with the bass full up I was able to get the kind of wool I'd expect from a fuzz but without getting too murky and the natural brightness of the pedal gave me enough clarity that it sat nicely in the band mix...and of course there was plenty of sustain on hand being a "metal" pedal and all. There was also enough volume on hand to match up well with my clean tone before turning to complete chaos.

The rig I initially auditioned it with was a pair of Mesa Boogie TA-30's into a pair of Mesa 2x12 closed back vertical cabs...one with V30's and one with G12H's and an Edwards Les Paul copy.

The rig I ended up using the Mooer with consisted of a Plexi set for 50 watts using a pair of 6550's into a 2x12 closed back MojoTone closed back "bluesbreaker" cab loaded with Celestion G12H's and a ValveTech VAC-50 (like a Fender Super Reverb but in a head) into the same type of MojoTone cab but with V30's in it. I also used a Fender American Standard Tele with a noiseless neck pickup and a Dimarzio Fast Track 2 in the bridge and a TBX tone control.

I found the Mooer Rage Machine to be VERY usable with the second setup. If you are able, if you're considering buying a Mooer Rage Machine, try it out with different guitar and amp combinations as it responds differently enough that it can either be a very useful creative tool or very underwhelming. smile.gif

• Members

My Ensemble King arrived today. It took 28 days total from when I ordered it. I got this because I didn't have a chorus and BOSS CE-2s were fairly costly. So of course I found a CE-2 at a decent price while the Mooer was still on a slow boat from China. Now I have two chorus pedals so what to do? A shootout!
Here's photos for size comparison. The Mooer is cuter than a bug's ear, it is so tiny.
My scientifical sound experiment consisted of getting a similar rate and depth setting on each pedal, then I recorded myself playing chords, arpeggiated stuff and a scale walkdown. I tried to do the same thing both times. The signal path was guitar>pedal>amp>mic>DAW. No effects, mastering or anything were used other than the pedal itself.
It is a short soundclip with one pedal followed by a brief rest then the other pedal. I'll see if anybody can tell which is which, part I or part II before I say anything.

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/YfcmiVp8Cx/shootout.wav.html

shootout1.jpg

shootout2.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zachary View Post
My Ensemble King arrived today. It took 28 days total from when I ordered it. I got this because I didn't have a chorus and BOSS CE-2s were fairly costly. So of course I found a CE-2 at a decent price while the Mooer was still on a slow boat from China. Now I have two chorus pedals so what to do? A shootout!
Here's photos for size comparison. The Mooer is cuter than a bug's ear, it is so tiny.
My scientifical sound experiment consisted of getting a similar rate and depth setting on each pedal, then I recorded myself playing chords, arpeggiated stuff and a scale walkdown. I tried to do the same thing both times. The signal path was guitar>pedal>amp>mic>DAW. No effects, mastering or anything were used other than the pedal itself.
It is a short soundclip with one pedal followed by a brief rest then the other pedal. I'll see if anybody can tell which is which, part I or part II before I say anything.

Second one was quite a bit more subtle while the first one had more warble to it.

I don't know a CE-2 well enough to pick it out, but there was definitely a difference in the two.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zachary View Post

I can hear a difference on my little desktop speakers. The first one sounds thicker in the lower mids and maybe not as open/ spacious sounding on top, the second is thinner and more open, maybe a little more subtle modulation depth.

I'm totally guessing here because I've never heard either pedal in real life, but in One Man Banned's rat/black secret shootout (I think it was OMB anyway? confused.gif ) the Mooer was a bit thicker in the lower mids with less high end. So maybe that's true of this as well, so I think the Mooer is the first half, the Boss is the second half.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zachary

View Post

The second one was the BOSS. I like the Mooer more than the CE-2 so far but it is heavily in the honeymoon phase so we'll see how I feel about it after I've had a chance to use it for a while.

Oh. I was too late. Oh well. At least I didn't have to wait for the answer. icon_lol.gif

• Members

Any rumours on the other 40 pedals Mooer is putting out?
Or this is probably bit more fun, what are YOU hoping they put out? An EQ would be cool like others have said, but how about a pitchbox V2 with an expression pedal input? Would be hard to do with the enclosure size though

Archived