FLANGER HOAX LOUNGE (the ultimate)

puretube

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

People do complain of a volume drop inherent w/ the Flanger Hoax. There indeed are settings where a volume drop is present in parts of the sweep due to extreme filtering. There are also however, settings that boost your volume considerably. My approach thus far (as opposed to putting the Hoax in a loop along with a boost) is to simply use the abundant settings that don't produce a volume drop (there are many). In most cases where I find a usable sound, but a volume drop is present, I can eliminate the drop engaging swept feedback and turning it up.

My approach is twofold. If there's a vol drop, I kick in the solo boost on my Boogie. (Which is basically a volume hike after the power amp). if its too much or it throbs with speaker-threatening intensity (as it does) I pull back on my volume pedal some. It also interacts with whatever you throw in front or behind it, so it's nice to have those two options.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

It's been a while since someone has bumped this thread, but...

I've been trying a systematic approach to the FH. Oddly enough, the starting place this time out was the instruction sheet from EHX; a lot of people have claimed that the sheet was worthless to them, but the block diagram was really key to my starting to build an understanding of this piece of gear.

Also helpful were the descriptions of the differences between chorus, flanging and phasing available on the internet. I've been reading through the Kurzweil K2600 manual and its description of the three effects, as well as numerous websites. I'm getting a handle on using the two lines as individual effects, as well as how they interact.

My thanks to those who posted working patches on this thread. Unfortunately, there were quite a few patches which didn't go anywhere; I suspect that the person writing them up wasn't using consistent nomenclature (clock positions for dial settings, etc.). However, the patches which did work have been helpful to seeing how different settings work.

One of the most important things I've learned from using this box is that I have to turn the volume all the way down while dialing something in, and then turn it up *slooooowly*. Who knew? *laugh*

Anyone still using this box?

• Members

What I'm finding interesting is that the patches I'm coming up with aren't really noisy. I know that noise/hiss was one of the main criticisms leveled at this box, but I'm having a bit of success with finding sweet spots where noise is not a issue.

Although I don't think I'd use it live (I prefer something easy to dial in or with presets, and I don't do knob twisting/soundscape stuff), it is interesting to use in recording.

The biggest problem with it, at least for me, is that I have a pile of patch sheets with all kinds of notes on them. When the flip of a switch means that the different knobs affect different things in the resulting patch, do you put them all on one sheet so that you can remember the changes as all one structure? Or do you break the sounds out into individual sheets, just to be able to dial in a particular sound quickly? *laugh*

• Members

What I'm finding interesting is that the patches I'm coming up with aren't really noisy. I know that noise/hiss was one of the main criticisms leveled at this box, but I'm having a bit of success with finding sweet spots where noise is not a issue.

Although I don't think I'd use it live (I prefer something easy to dial in or with presets, and I don't do knob twisting/soundscape stuff), it is interesting to use in recording.

The biggest problem with it, at least for me, is that I have a pile of patch sheets with all kinds of notes on them. When the flip of a switch means that the different knobs affect different things in the resulting patch, do you put them all on one sheet so that you can remember the changes as all one structure? Or do you break the sounds out into individual sheets, just to be able to dial in a particular sound quickly? *laugh*

There is definitely less noise when the Delay Mode knob is set to DC.

I think the only way to deal with presets on the Flanger Hoax for live use is to: 1) have a guitar tech dial them in for you between songs, 2) have a separate unit for each sound (I have 2 at the moment), or 3) memorize the patches and learn the logic of the controls, which takes a lot of practice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

hey how's everyone?:wave:

didn't been here for a while but still messing with the Hoax!

I was interested by people talking about live use for the Hoax. that's what I'm working on...:blah:

I use it for self-oscillation noise layer now so with the feedback crank and a tweeking of the settings I leave it off and as soon as I turn it on here's my noise background layer and I play over it...it goes trough the Stereo Cathedral Reverb at the end of the chain to feed 2 guitar amp(left/right)...and I keep playing on my bass rig in the middle...good for intro or outro...just need a 3rd mic to record a clip since I leave my gear to the 24/7 rehearsal place I 've found lately...! I'm also getting a LS-2 next week to put my POG2>Hoax>DMM on the loop between the dirt and the Cathedral...so I will engage my custom crazy noise system with one stomp! can't wait to try that!:thu:

cheers!

• Members

My thanks to those who posted working patches on this thread. Unfortunately, there were quite a few patches which didn't go anywhere; I suspect that the person writing them up wasn't using consistent nomenclature (clock positions for dial settings, etc.). However, the patches which did work have been helpful to seeing how different settings work.

I was having the same problem, so I tried to compile them all with a more consistent format. Never got it finished, but what I did compile is in the attached word doc. Check it out.

• Members

For the markings I use white grease pencil to mark my regular settings so if I go crazy with the nobbys I can always put back my settings...but with time I get to learn them so I don't need memory help anymore hehe. and their easier to erase than sharpie I guess? I use that on pretty much all my gear amps too...

still love my hoax! should ear that in echo mode in stereo...!:eek:

I also did a compilation of all the settings too their's so much!

is my google doc of it:

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Afqgd0aKiBwXZGY3Z3pzdnBfNDVjcnFnanNnag&hl=en&authkey=CPXqyoAM

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So I have been searching and fiddling the Hoax trying to get a pitchbend vibrato with no luck, I'm looking for something that sounds like the Worm vibrato with a slow rate. Has anyone discovered a sound like this in there? I think it might be only because Puretube designed both pedals and the Hoax seems to be an all encompassing kind of modulator.

Archived