HCFX VIDEO GAME LOUNGE

Capsule

• Members

Cool - I may have to preorder it then.

What's this about an MGS HD Collection?

MGS 2, 3, and Peace Walker recast in 1080p for PS3 and 360.

Will also include the original MG1 and MG2: Solid Snake, first brought to America in the MGS3: Subsistence package. I'm looking forward to a good excuse to play Snake Eater again. In fact, I think I'm gonna start with Snake Eater and play the whole series in chronological order. The only canonical game that won't be playable on PS3 as of the HD release is Portable Ops, but I'm hoping for a second HD collection with the Twin Snakes version of MGS1 and Portable Ops.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Speaking of this thread, I just picked up another Wii tonight. The Mario Kart package was on sale here in Canada for $40 off the regular price, so I biked down and got one today.
:love:

Hacking it riiiight now, gonna be playing all the new major titles this week that've came out since I last sold my old one. Weeeee!!

Get Xenoblade, thank me later.

• Members

MGS 2, 3, and Peace Walker recast in 1080p for PS3 and 360.

Will also include the original MG1 and MG2: Solid Snake, first brought to America in the MGS3: Subsistence package. I'm looking forward to a good excuse to play Snake Eater again. In fact, I think I'm gonna start with Snake Eater and play the whole series in chronological order. The only canonical game that won't be playable on PS3 as of the HD release is Portable Ops, but I'm hoping for a second HD collection with the Twin Snakes version of MGS1 and Portable Ops.

That sounds pretty awesome. Snake Eater was always my favorite in the series - I will definitely be picking this up (if only just to have it).

I hope they release a second collection with Twin Snakes and Portable Ops as well...although I never finished Portable Ops, so maybe just including a summary of the story would be enough.

• Members

That sounds pretty awesome. Snake Eater was always my favorite in the series - I will definitely be picking this up (if only just to have it).

I hope they release a second collection with Twin Snakes and Portable Ops as well...although I never finished Portable Ops, so maybe just including a summary of the story would be enough.

Its a close call for me between MGS1 and Snake Eater as the best in the series. I still get nostalgic goosebumps everytime I sneak past the first few guards and ride the elevator to the surface and the Hind-D scene in MGS. That early Japanese demo blew my impressionable mind when I was 13 and the game still hasn't let go.

Snake Eater, however, just nails atmosphere. The Cold War tension and jungle setting took the series to whole new level. My only complaint is that things come to an end much too quickly once you arrive at Graznjy Grad. I was expecting a whole other "game" of base infiltration, with the outdoor infiltration just serving as a long prologue.

MGS2 is just lacking. Big Shell sucks as a setting; its such a smaller scale than either MGS1 or 3, much less 4. Still amazing what they did with the PS2 graphically that early on.

• Members

Its a close call for me between MGS1 and Snake Eater as the best in the series. I still get nostalgic goosebumps everytime I sneak past the first few guards and ride the elevator to the surface and the Hind-D scene in MGS. That early Japanese demo blew my impressionable mind when I was 13 and the game still hasn't let go.

Snake Eater, however, just nails atmosphere. The Cold War tension and jungle setting took the series to whole new level. My only complaint is that things come to an end much too quickly once you arrive at Graznjy Grad. I was expecting a whole other "game" of base infiltration, with the outdoor infiltration just serving as a long prologue.

MGS2 is just lacking. Big Shell sucks as a setting; its such a smaller scale than either MGS1 or 3, much less 4. Still amazing what they did with the PS2 graphically that early on.

Ha! We have such a similar story with MGS - I remember playing the demo in 8th grade and being completely blown away. The demo was passed around my class for months until the game was finally released. The Shadow Moses portion of MGS4 is easily my favorite part just because of the atmosphere and getting to be there years later. I found the story of 4 to be lacking though...with everything being character tie ins and/or nanomachines.

MGS2 was indeed the weakest link in the series, but in the grand scheme of the 'story' the Big Shell makes sense as the setting since it was an easily controlled environment to conduct the SSS experiment (I can never remember if Raiden was actually supposed to be placed in the situation to simulate Snake's experience, or if that was a decoy though...so I may be way off with that theory).

As for Snake Eater, I never thought about the jungle being a long prologue, but I really loved the jungle setting, and just the fact that you get to play as the man himself is awesome. And the ending, where you actually have to pull the trigger was one of the best game endings I have ever seen.

Holy {censored} what an MGS nerd out :lol:

• Members
Ha! We have such a similar story with MGS - I remember playing the demo in 8th grade and being completely blown away. The demo was passed around my class for months until the game was finally released. The Shadow Moses portion of MGS4 is easily my favorite part just because of the atmosphere and getting to be there years later. I found the story of 4 to be lacking though...with everything being character tie ins and/or nanomachines.

MGS2 was indeed the weakest link in the series, but in the grand scheme of the 'story' the Big Shell makes sense as the setting since it was an easily controlled environment to conduct the SSS experiment (I can never remember if Raiden was actually supposed to be placed in the situation to simulate Snake's experience, or if that was a decoy though...so I may be way off with that theory).

As for Snake Eater, I never thought about the jungle being a long prologue, but I really loved the jungle setting, and just the fact that you get to play as the man himself is awesome. And the ending, where you actually
have
to pull the trigger was one of the best game endings I have ever seen.

Holy {censored} what an MGS nerd out
:lol:

I'm still wrapping my head around the whole S3 project, but your point about Big Shell being the perfect place for such a controlled exercise makes sense. I'll replay it in HD soon enough.

MGS4 is astounding, but it just lacks some of the magic of Snake Eater to me. I feel like is MGS4, its too easy to win firefights and I don't play as carefully as I did in Snake Eater. If I get the M14 sniper rifle, I can basically own any level. Still 100% better than any other third-person shooter, and, yes the Shadow Moses area is awesome. Just wish there were some Genome soldiers walking about. :lol:

• Members

I'm still wrapping my head around the whole S3 project, but your point about Big Shell being the perfect place for such a controlled exercise makes sense. I'll replay it in HD soon enough.

MGS4 is astounding, but it just lacks some of the magic of Snake Eater to me. I feel like is MGS4, its too easy to win firefights and I don't play as carefully as I did in Snake Eater. If I get the M14 sniper rifle, I can basically own any level. Still 100% better than any other third-person shooter, and, yes the Shadow Moses area is awesome. Just wish there were some Genome soldiers walking about.

Yeah - I was pretty disappointed that you can play MGS4 as a straight forward third person shooter. I wish there were some soldiers in the Shadow Moses portion as well - but let's face it, Snake owned the {censored} out of that place in MGS, so they were all dead :lol:

• Members

Yeah - I was pretty disappointed that you can play MGS4 as a straight forward third person shooter. I wish there were some soldiers in the Shadow Moses portion as well - but let's face it, Snake owned the {censored} out of that place in MGS, so they were all dead

It also just wouldn't be the same if the improved AI kept you from sneaking up behind some poor bastard and putting a block of C4 on his back.

• Members

My man. Thank you!

So far Ive got Donkey Kong Returns, Wii Sports Resort, Goldeneye 007 (new one), and F1 2009. All great games, loving it.

Thought the new Goldeneye was pretty fun, but the graphics on the multiplayer was just CRAP. Looking forward to seeing what the PS3 version has in store.

• Members

I know him! We say hi pretty much every day.

We worked on LOST together, before FC3.

That's very rad that you work on video games. Is that your full time job (like you work for a particular developer), or do you get hired for particular projects? Is it fun/enjoyable, or is it pretty much like any other job?

• Members

That's very rad that you work on video games. Is that your full time job (like you work for a particular developer), or do you get hired for particular projects? Is it fun/enjoyable, or is it pretty much like any other job?

It's fulltime at the moment. I've been in the industry for 10 years though, so I'm thinking I need a haitus from it soonish. Maybe I'll do one other project after FC3, and after that, carreer change.

Parts of developement are fun, but speaking from a personal perspective, I've been growing less and less interested in it. It's not to say anything about the company or anything, but just my personal preference of what constitutes a good game is becoming more and more different from what any of the big names think. We'll see.

I think I may try building pedals (like the one in my avatar) for a living, next!

• Members
It's fulltime at the moment. I've been in the industry for 10 years though, so I'm thinking I need a haitus from it soonish. Maybe I'll do one other project after FC3, and after that, carreer change.

Parts of developement are fun, but speaking from a personal perspective, I've been growing less and less interested in it. It's not to say anything about the company or anything, but just my personal preference of what constitutes a good game is becoming more and more different from what any of the big names think. We'll see.

I think I may try building pedals (like the one in my avatar) for a living, next!

Judging by the demand I've seen for the Hollow Earth, I think you'll be alright doing that :thu:

• Members

Care to elaborate on this? What are some of games you consider great?

• Members

Very cool, but I totally understand the need for a change every now and again. Your pedals are all super snazzy and unique, so I imagine you won't have a problem making that into a career.

I'm also interested in your thoughts on what constitutes a great game and where you would like to see the industry heading.

Archived