Guitar Worlds Top 10 Metal Amps List ....

Savo

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Hegmatronicon

Ok. Ive played a few JCM800's. Why are they considered a metal amp????

They have very very little gain really. The 900's are a higher gain amp....

Im not saying 800's arent great...they sound very very very nice...but in order to be "metal" they have to be boosted/modded. right?

Wouldn't this kinda knock them off the list?

I've never heard anybody use a jcm800 for anything remotely heavy without a boost/OD pedal. I guess that kinda just bugs me when they leave out the 5150.

Maybe it shoulda been 1. BOOSTED JCM800. That would be a-ok
:D

*thumbsup* I agree.

• Members

Originally posted by Rocky101

My Ampeg Vh-140c is the best I have heard for metal. Super tight metal voicing, no pedals required and extremely LOUD!!

here, here brother. for those people that made their own "metal" list if you didn't add this amp you should kill yourselves. this is a death metal amp that definitly eats a 8100, triple rectifier, 5150, and most other amps for breakfast. only amps better would be most engls and possibly bogners. but for the price its unbeatable.

• Members
Originally posted by brutalmoe420

here, here brother. for those people that made their own "metal" list if you didn't add this amp you should kill yourselves. this is a death metal amp that definitly eats a 8100, triple rectifier, 5150, and most other amps for breakfast. only amps better would be most engls and possibly bogners. but for the price its unbeatable.

:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by napalmshower05

Scott Ian did at one time, don't know if he still does. I don't know why, his tone on their newest CD with all the re-recorded oldies is kinda {censored}ty, IMO.

I think Scott Ian is playing a Randall Cyclone now? Is that right? It was one of the newer Randall amps. I know that his tone is awesome on the new Anthrax live DVD. I should look on there and see if it is in the background.

• Members

Originally posted by Pigsinzen

Only if you are talking about the 800. There are other newer marshalls I would rather have IMHO.

800s, especially the early ones, are built like tanks, sound godlike on their own (hint, crank the master), and take to pedals like cancer to the prostate (to quote Phantom Limb from The Venture Brothers).

• Members

I don't take GW mag serious anyways. It's all about mainstream {censored} in that mag. It's not even a mag that is helpful in anyway. but to steer young guitarists in the wrong direction. {censored} GW and may all the employes die a horrible death.

• Members

Originally posted by Flanger

800s, especially the early ones, are built like tanks, sound godlike on their own (hint, crank the master), and take to pedals like cancer to the prostate (to quote Phantom Limb from The Venture Brothers).

Yes I know this. There are still newer Marshalls I'd rather have than it.

Even a master volume crank on the 800 doesn't saturate it as much as I would like.

Originally posted by cobrahead1030

i know at one point zakk wylde recorded a lot of stuff with a straight stock jcm800 into a greenback loaded 4x12, and if his tone back in the day wasn't metal then i don't know what is

When was that? From what he has said, his boost pedal is mostly always on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by brutalmoe420

I had a chance to get one of those cheap at a local musicgoround but thought it sounded a lot less than impressive. I've had a 5150 and would far more prefer that over it, as I also would even my cheap Behringer V-Ampire 120 head or the Ultra Plus head I run that into, and I'd also put the Carvin X-100B head w/ a tubescreamer boost well over the Ampeg, as well. I KNOW that I'm alone regarding my thoughts on the sound of that Ampeg, but I was so unimpressed by it that it's hard to ignore how much rep that amp has as compared to what my ears heard while trying one out. :(

• Members

Originally posted by do art

My TSL is more metal sounding than my 2203.

Oh and let the flamming begin.

I don't know I'd disagree with you, but the JCM's have had so much history and are the sound of most of '80s metal -- just a very good and very widely used amp over decades now.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by 5150GSX

I'm not usually this outspoken but you're a dumbass. You're obviously biased towards Mesa. The XTC may be a nice amp, but I have never heard a metal tone from one. The closest tone is probably Steve Vai's "Bad Horsie" and I wouldn't consider that anywhere near a metal tone. Granted you might not like the 5150 but you can't deny the fact that a large number of metal bands use them.

the xtc can do metal, trust me. picture the offspring of a marshall and a mesa boogie and you have the xtc. does metal just fine in my opinion

Archived