Guitar Worlds Top 10 Metal Amps List ....

Savo

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by TanisGR

You know something's afoot when Diezel doens't make the list.

I don't think there are enough of those floating around to make a top ten list. From the clips I have heard they are badass but at over $4000.00 they are out of the reach of most people. As far as the HD147 making the list I think it was just there way of trying to have a diverse list and include the digital stuff. Those are great amps btw.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I don't know that I could have come up with ten:

Marshall JCM 800/900/2000

Mesa Dual Rectifier

Peavey 5150

Bogner Uberschall

Those amps right there probably constitute 80% + of gigging metal musicians' wares.

There are many others that are great, but not as prevalent.

What kind of loser uses a modeling amp if they play only metal? That is just dumb. The only reason to have a modeling amp of any kind is versatility for a variety of amp sounds.

• Members

Originally posted by cobrahead1030

no soldano SLO? yet they had room for a mode 4

no 5150? but a damn XXX

no mesa mark series? but a roadking

no engl? but a randall warhead

HD147, VS8100...they're not bad amps but could EASILY be replaced on this list

that sums it up

• Members
Originally posted by Polygone

Here's my "Top 10 metal amps ever", to pay hommage to guitar world:

13869517_720.jpgMC_GG10.gifPGA6.jpgmms2.jpgBA10UC-2T.jpgb150-web.jpgcratebx15.jpgOpenAmpSm.JPGchamp15.jpgpeavy_band112.jpg

What? No Pignose? Criminal!

The Silvertone amp-in-case from the 60s gets my vote as best metal of all time...

hahahahaha.... that list is a total joke.

• Members

As for me i only have a top 2 metal amps.

1 jcm 800 (boosted with some gain pedal or moded)
2 5150 / 6505

This is for me, the standart of in your face metal amp.

As for a lot other amps they are goods but this is my fav top 2 ;)

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Actuaclly the the jcm800 2203 was the first ever true metal amp, tho it needs to have it preamp modded for hi-gain to compareble the modern metal world, but i chose the DSL to be the top becuase it has the 2203 tone in one of it modes and Lead 1 in it ultra gain channel with the tone shift scoop pressed gives off a great metal tone.

• Members
Originally posted by Megadeth7684

One of the guitarists in Shadows Fall used one live before he switched to Kranks. That doesn't mean it deserves to be on the list at all though. I mean really guys, the Mode Four is sooooo much better than an Engl Powerball or a Dizel VH-4.
:p:D

the dude from hatebreed used one as well, in conjunction with a tsl.

• Members
Originally posted by Hegmatronicon

Ok. Ive played a few JCM800's. Why are they considered a metal amp????

They have very very little gain really. The 900's are a higher gain amp....

Im not saying 800's arent great...they sound very very very nice...but in order to be "metal" they have to be boosted/modded. right?

Wouldn't this kinda knock them off the list?

I've never heard anybody use a jcm800 for anything remotely heavy without a boost/OD pedal. I guess that kinda just bugs me when they leave out the 5150.

Maybe it shoulda been 1. BOOSTED JCM800. That would be a-ok
:D

a 2203 and a $30 bad monkey pedal is the best metal tone I've come across yet.

• Members

Originally posted by wanky

Actuaclly the the jcm800 2203 was the first ever true metal amp, tho it needs to have it preamp modded for hi-gain to compareble the modern metal world, but i chose the DSL to be the top becuase it has the 2203 tone in one of it modes and Lead 1 in it ultra gain channel with the tone shift scoop pressed gives off a great metal tone.

have you ever heard a boosted jcm 800?

• Members

My take

1. JCM800 2203/ It has been proven countless times over what it can do for metal tones boost or no boost so yes I agree with this.

2. Mesa Triple Recto/ I agree partially. It is a very poplular amp and has it's own voicing, but too many bands are using them with the same tone.

3. Bogner

• Members

Originally posted by BloodyScalpel

What the hell?

Besides other absurd things already pointed, why a jcm800? that thing is great but cannot get enough gain without a booster.

I actually like the hd147. It has quality emulations and a sweet tone. It deserves to be on that list imo.

Slayer seems to get enough gain without a boost. Just need Hi-output pickups crank the bitch and almost dime the pre.

• Members

I think it's a wise thing to have bumped this thread -- reminds us all of how {censored}ing ridiculously corporate and greedily whorish GW is. Funny how all of those amps were also the most advertised amps of that time in GW and Guitar One. The exception, of course is the JCM, but if they left that off the list as well as omitting the 5150, then GW headquarters would have been deluged with molotov cocktails. Even still they were advertising the Zakk Wylde sig amps, so there's the JCM ad money, really. What a bunch of {censored}in' pricks.

1. Marshall JCM 800
2. Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier
3. Peavey 5150 (how is it even conceivable that this wasn't included?)
4. Mesa/Boogie Mark IV (same scenario as 5150?)
5. Soldano SLO-100
6. Marshall JCM 900
7. Bogner Uberschall
8. VHT Pitbull Ultra Lead 100
9. Marshall DSL100
10. Randall RH200

The only reason I wouldn't say Engl is that the list is a blend between common use and best sound. I know people will raise their eyebrows about the Randall, but hey, it's still better than the Warhead.

Let's just be thankful that the GW list didn't come out this year -- I think we all know that Krank Revolution would be at the top of their list.

Archived