Guitar Worlds Top 10 Metal Amps List ....

Savo

• Members

Originally posted by radonballoon

marshall jcm's. wow. the best marshall heads are modded. that should knock them off the list right there.

who is arguing the triple rec vs the dual rec? are you really that dumb? somebody at mesa is laughing at you right now.

bogner is nice. maybe not #3 but where's the extasy?

randall what? are they serious. the only randall worth an honorable mentionis the century head.

vht pitbull is up there but if you include boutique stuff it's probably not on the top 10.

vs8100. i had 2 of them. i like them. but top 10 amps? not in this lifetime.

wtf is a line 6 product doing on any top 10 list other than 'top 10 pieces of {censored}'.

marshall mf350?

mesa road king... i agree with whoever made the mark series comments. plus the road king is so similar to the recto's. what about the f50?

the xxx should be higher up. this amp is better than almost every other amp on this list hands down. and it spanks the 5150 for those who felt that should replace this. the 5150 is the biggest bandwagon amp since the jcm800! with the engl's, diezel's, soldano's, etc added the 5150 still doesn't make the list, imo.

I'm not usually this outspoken but you're a dumbass. You're obviously biased towards Mesa. The XTC may be a nice amp, but I have never heard a metal tone from one. The closest tone is probably Steve Vai's "Bad Horsie" and I wouldn't consider that anywhere near a metal tone. Granted you might not like the 5150 but you can't deny the fact that a large number of metal bands use them.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

radonballoon- are you serious with that comment about the 5150 being a bandwagon amp and not deserving the top 10 list honors?

Are you serious?

Your comment and opinion of the 5150 series is just enough personal information about you, for me to instantly discount anything you have to say.

The 5150 series is an industry standard for one reason. They are killer amps. You will find very few players on this board that will not give the 5150`s the respect they deserve. They are some of the best "metal" amps ever created. The 5150/II has one of the most recognizable, use-able and brutal voices in the high gain amp market. They may not be anywhere near perfect, but are better than many more expensive heads.

As far as being a "bandwagon" amp...No {censored} dumbass. When an amp is that good at what it does for such a reasonable price, people are going to want to own and play through one. Me included.

• Members

Errrrr.... haven't we already done this list before and deduced that it was complete {censored}?!!?! Especially being a guitar rag like Guitar World and all, they sell thier endorsements towards gear to the highest bidder/paying manufacturers to promote their products, c'mon guys I thought most of us knew this already... :(

Originally posted by Save The Pine Weasel

No Peavey Supreme 160? The injustice of that oversight is staggering.
:D

Haha indeed, a grave injustice has been done, why that amp brings over 1k now! :D;)

• Members
Originally posted by Savo

Here's GW's Top 10 Metal Amps list:

4. Randall Warhead

Anybody know for sure if Dime ever ACTUALLY used one in the studio? Replace this with a Randall RG

8. Marshall MF-350

6. Marshall VS8100

OK, aren't these sort of the same basic amp? AND WTF has recorded with a MF-350? Remove one and insert 5150

2. Mesa Triple Recto

9. Mesa Road King

The two/three channel/4 channell rectos are all different I guess
:rolleyes: Replace one with Mesa Mark II/III/IV... they defined the metal scene.

• Members

Originally posted by shredhead666

LMAO!!!! Seriously! That list is a COMPLETE joke!

That MAGAZINE is a complete joke.

Pretty much any random people here could start a magazine called something like "Actually About Guitar Magazine" and it would 100,000 times better than that POS even if it was 5 pages long.

My favorite "list" those magazines do are all the "top 100 guitar players" or whatever, and there's always guys like Jack White and Kurt Cobain almost at the tip top.

• Members

The Mode Four? They have got to be kidding.

+1 for the 5150.
How could they not recognise such an important amp in the sound of Scandinavian metal??? :confused:

Road King?? WTF? When was that a metal amp?

No Powerball, Diezel, Framus?! :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

That MAGAZINE is a complete joke.

Pretty much any random people here could start a magazine called something like "Actually About Guitar Magazine" and it would 100,000 times better than that POS even if it was 5 pages long.

My favorite "list" those magazines do are all the "top 100 guitar players" or whatever, and there's always guys like Jack White and Kurt Cobain almost at the tip top.

The one with the top 10 metal amps is the same one that has the 100 greatest metal guitarists of all time. It has Tomy Iommi as #1. I was just looking at that issue the other day(Holy Wars...tab). GW mags are like 190 pages and about 150 or so are advertisements.

• Members

Cochise, every guitar magazine has a top 100 players or something very similar at least once a year.

That just makes it even funnier that there was ANOTHER ONE in the very same issue as the amp list hehe.

If they were serious and actually knew anything, they wouldn't be ranking stuff and people in the first place.

• Members

HA! That list is {censored}ing rediculous.. Guitar World don't know metal.. They just do pieces on it because it sells mags to teenage boys learning to play guitar.

My top 10 Metal Amp List

1 Marshall JCM 800
2 Peavey 5150
3 Mesa mkIIC+
4 Diezel VH4
5 Bogner Uberschall
6 Framus Cobra
7 Engl Powerball
8 Mesa Dual recto
9 Soldano SLO
10 Laney VH100r

• Members
Originally posted by LesPaul59

Bogner does not advertise or pay anybody to make it on any list.

Yes but it is a mix of that and actual amps that were probably voted for..
Theres no way most people think this would be here:

8. Marshall MF-350

Not if they value their sanity.. Thats definitely a marketing ploy..Some mag will probably have the Fender Metalhead in the same spot a year from now!!! :mad:

And yes, where the {censored} are the Mesa Mark series?!!! THats a classic sound all its own!!!

And yes the 5150 not on there? Its the standard sound for Scandavian Metal!!!

• Members
Originally posted by Potex

HA! That list is {censored}ing rediculous.. Guitar World don't know metal.. They just do pieces on it because it sells mags to teenage boys learning to play guitar.

My top 10 Metal Amp List

1 Marshall JCM 800

2 Peavey 5150

3 Mesa mkIIC+

4 Diezel VH4

5 Bogner Uberschall

6 Framus Cobra

7 Engl Powerball

8 Mesa Dual recto

9 Soldano SLO

10 Laney VH100r

My 'metal amp' list would be pretty close to this. :)

• Members

Ok. Ive played a few JCM800's. Why are they considered a metal amp????
They have very very little gain really. The 900's are a higher gain amp....

Im not saying 800's arent great...they sound very very very nice...but in order to be "metal" they have to be boosted/modded. right?
Wouldn't this kinda knock them off the list?

I've never heard anybody use a jcm800 for anything remotely heavy without a boost/OD pedal. I guess that kinda just bugs me when they leave out the 5150.
Maybe it shoulda been 1. BOOSTED JCM800. That would be a-ok :D

• Members

My 3 fave metal amps:

1. Savage 120

For it's cool charachter, great attack, more then enough gain and the versatility. Adding the Engl midi pedal to this amp will probably rule.

2. Marshall Valvestate

A cheap! amp very good for metal. At higher wolumes this is a beast recorded. Used by many known bands. And! the clean channel is great on this amp!. If i recommend an amp to a first time buyer i'd say a Valvestate for metal.

3. Peavey Ultra +

This amp is the coolest amp i have owned cosmestic with the colur shifting logo. Sounds great with new tubes and an Eq in the loop. Great vintage feeling metal sounding.

• Members
Originally posted by Hegmatronicon

Ok. Ive played a few JCM800's. Why are they considered a metal amp????

They have very very little gain really. The 900's are a higher gain amp....

Im not saying 800's arent great...they sound very very very nice...but in order to be "metal" they have to be boosted/modded. right?

Wouldn't this kinda knock them off the list?

I've never heard anybody use a jcm800 for anything remotely heavy without a boost/OD pedal. I guess that kinda just bugs me when they leave out the 5150.

Maybe it shoulda been 1. BOOSTED JCM800. That would be a-ok

The JCM 800 does of course need a boost but the fact that it has been and still is used by countless metal bands over the years makes it a legend.

• Members
Originally posted by Hegmatronicon

Maybe it shoulda been 1. BOOSTED JCM800. That would be a-ok

Many of the "signature" 5150 tones are in fact pedal boosted. Many bands record the rectifier with a boost pedal for solos. Not a good argument.

The ModeFour - I dunno. The valvestate series was also considered a cheap piece of {censored} when I had my 8080 about 10 years ago, and now everyone wants one for recording. Maybe the ModeFour has also secretly found a place in recording studios - no-one wants to admit to using one right now, but it does something special.

The HD147 in that list... hrm. I play one, and I think it's a fantastic amp, but can it really be on the list when it's mostly modelling the other amps on the list? (Actually, I mostly use the Line6 models on mine, that's where I found "my" sound, but still).

• Members

Originally posted by MadKeithV

The ModeFour - I dunno. The valvestate series was also considered a cheap piece of {censored} when I had my 8080 about 10 years ago, and now everyone wants one for recording. Maybe the ModeFour has also secretly found a place in recording studios - no-one wants to admit to using one right now, but it does something special.

The Mode Four actually sounds very good recorded. I was pleasantly surprised!

• Members

Originally posted by Potex

The JCM 800 does of course need a boost but the fact that it has been and still is used by countless metal bands over the years makes it a legend.

i dont know about that! to me heavy isnt always a bout how much fuzz is on the amp, its the pure crushing tone that gets me , that and beer:D

• Members
Originally posted by MRscratch

i dont know about that! to me heavy isnt always a bout how much fuzz is on the amp, its the pure crushing tone that gets me , that and beer:D

Cool, if you dig the 800 without a boost more power to you! However most metal players who play through one discover that the 800 LOVES to be boosted. It just turn's into something special. Oh and JCM 800's go very well with beer just ask Zakk Wylde (who uses a boost) :)

Archived