anyone here own a memory foam mattress like a tempur pedic?opinions wanted?

bmf5150

• Members

I have one of the Tempurpedic mattresses, and it's friggin' great. I have a lot of back problems (ankylosing spondylitis related), and the Tempur helps out a lot. Also, I don't think the Tempur mattress is any worse than other mattresses in the heat department. I sleep hot no matter what mattress I'm on, so I just keep a floor fan blowing across the bed.

Oh, and the foam mattress is a nice platform for, ummm, well you know... Different vibe than a regular spring mattress for sure. Don't tell my wife I disclosed that on a discussion forum. :D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sleep on a tempur pedic (theres a moneyback guarantee) and I bet you'll keep it. Also, there are no heat issues that I know of. After all, you don't sleep directly on the matress anyways. If your skin was pressed directly against the foam, it might get kinda hot/sweaty, but theres the bed sheets in between.

-Joe

• Members

Originally posted by OverDriven

Sleep on a tempur pedic (theres a moneyback guarantee) and I bet you'll keep it. Also, there are no heat issues that I know of. After all, you don't sleep directly on the matress anyways. If your skin was pressed directly against the foam, it might get kinda hot/sweaty, but theres the bed sheets in between.

-Joe

That's another good thing with the Comfortaire's from Nationwide, you get 90 days to decide if you want to keep it.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

me and my wife are thinking about getting a serta version of the tempur pedic memory foam mattress.are they good if you have back problems?she evry warm when she sleep,does it hold your heat and make you warmer?thanks for any advice you can give..

stan

We have used a Serta and I still get back pain when I wake up. The only real mattress to get is the Tempur-pedic(sp?), and not a "similar" type.

The Serta gets a memory after awhile and has a slight hollow where we sleep on it. It does hold the heat in, but the mattress just is not "all that".

• Members
We have used a Serta and I still get back pain when I wake up. The only real mattress to get is the Tempur-pedic(sp?), and not a "similar" type.

The Serta gets a memory after awhile and has a slight hollow where we sleep on it. It does hold the heat in, but the mattress just is not "all that".

Thread's from 2005 man.:o

• Members

When I was 18 I worked at a mattress store for about two years. The foam Temperpedic sytle mattresses were amoung my favorites. The benefits were that they were definitly the most comfortable and the pillow top version of the Tempurpedic was one of the softest beds I have ever laid on. I took many naps durring the day when there were no customers in there. The down side to it was the heat and getting out of it. To a normal person that dosn't sleep hot I don't think it would be a problem but since the thing works off of body heat it definitly is going to retain your heat. This though was not a big enough deterent to keep me from going back to it. The only other draw back is getting out of it sometimes. Since you sink into it, sometimes it could be a challenge to just roll out of it especially if you sleep on your back.

• Members

my girlfriend/fiancee/partner wants a tempurpedic (or however its spelled) to the point of craziness. I always thought they were overhyped, but after reading these posts they may not be

How much is a king or queen size temperpedic? Anyone know a general price range?

• Members

Getting a King with a memory foam top (3 or 5 inches, I don't recall) this weekend.

I can let you know then. :idk:

What made us go with a topped vs full memory foam was that the topped we ended up picking out was really soft and comfortable, yet you could actually feel it supporting you, versus in the full foam it kinda felt like you just sunk in.

• Members

Sleep Number here...4 years plus

The ability to adjust the firmness is awesome (I'm a 45 - 55). When the back is really :freak: I adjust it till the pain leaves.

It is expensive, but imo well worth it.

BTW everyone in my family has had back surgury (at least once) except me.

• Members

Wanna know how much I like my Tempurpedic? I bought two more sets for the other bedrooms.

It's always fun to hear an overnight guest tell me how well they slept.

Best mattress I've slept on - period.

I didn't read all the replies yet but has anyone mentioned the fact that if you or your wife are restless sleepers that the motion doesn't transfer across the mattress AT ALL? That's a great feature for couples and doesn't get mentioned enough.

• Members

My wife and I both had bad backs, works out it was due to our old mattress (which we bought new). We bought a Tempur top of the range model about a year ago. Both of our backs have come good. They initially feel odd to sleep on, but now it just feels normal. I used to fight all night getting comfortable with traditional pillows, the tempur pillow is way more comfotable. The sales man said that the mattress breaths so it is essentially cooler. Overall at Au$4000 it was money well spent.:thu:

• Members

We have a Tempurpedic....let's just say we are still getting used to it. My mom has one as well, and maybe because ours is newer (?), but ours seems much firmer. I'm wondering if this is the colder air...we've only had it since the Fall and it does seem to get harder the colder it gets in the house. Climbing onto it is like laying on a board for a few seconds, then you slowly sink down a ways. (I probably have the damn thing upside down or something :facepalm:)

Let's talk about sex. While we are an old(er) couple than some we still like to get with it occasionally....and honestly we head to the spare bedroom unless a kid is in it :D There's no bounce at all, tough to get momentum--I rely on that extra assistance as my abs are a bit out of shape (yes I'm working out again, perhaps when I reach my fighting condition I'll appreciate the tempurpedic more).

• Members
We have a Tempurpedic....let's just say we are still getting used to it. My mom has one as well, and maybe because ours is newer (?), but ours seems much firmer. I'm wondering if this is the colder air...we've only had it since the Fall and it does seem to get harder the colder it gets in the house. Climbing onto it is like laying on a board for a few seconds, then you slowly sink down a ways. (I probably have the damn thing upside down or something
:facepalm:
)

Let's talk about sex. While we are an old(er) couple than some we still like to get with it occasionally....and honestly we head to the spare bedroom unless a kid is in it
:D
There's no bounce at all, tough to get momentum--I rely on that extra assistance as my abs are a bit out of shape (yes I'm working out again, perhaps when I reach my fighting condition I'll appreciate the tempurpedic more).

Not sure why, but this whole post made me :lol: Cheers, Lucius

• Members

I've owned a tempur pedic mattress for about 4 years now.

My only recommendation is to get the real deal, not other brands "versions" of them if you can afford it.

Also, do your homework on the different types offered by Tempur Pedic (if you do opt to buy the real thing), as the foam can be of varying thickness and density.

As far as people thinking they are hot, I've found this not necessarily to be the case. Most of the time, these are in showrooms "bare" (i.e. no sheets on them, just the cotton like soft cover). Laying one of these mattresses without sheets does give a smothering feeling. Putting a mattress pad and a set sheets on them IMO really changes that aspect. You get all the nice parts about them without the stuffy feeling.

The only negative I can say about ours is that we bought the "ClassicBed", which has a soft layer on top. The OriginalBed is the original (duh) but is also a little firmer. Moving up to the Celebrity or Deluxe beds have thicker mattresses with thicker soft layers and sometimes thicker "hard" layers. I think for my size the Classic has a bit too much give.

BTW, the original Tempur-Pedics have a 25-30 year warranty against compression. If it compresses something like 1/4" before 25 years, you get a full replacement or money back, IIRC.

We spent around 3K for the mattress and boxsprings. Very worthy investment. BUt it almost makes it painful to sleep anywhere else. Also, the tempur pedic brand pillows are great as well, we have some of those, too.

Archived