I believe and support a lot of the teachings of Jesus

-=MYK=-

• Members

Originally posted by tlester

As for the statement above about not taking ownership of your actions. The Bible is all about taking ownership of our actions. That's precisely why Jeus had to come and die for our sins. WE ARE ROYAL SCREW UPS! We have free will to screw up and we do... often. We are the only one to blame for that.

God, however, is perfect. He cannot accept sin into his presence. That's why Jesus was crucified. He died for our sins. He now "vouches" for us in front of the Father (God).

-Tom

Soooo.... God creates screw-ups who he can't stand and gets some guy to "off" himself in order that we may seem more palatable to him.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Roccaforte Amps

No, don't get me wrong, I have no problem with this thread.

I had to go to Catholic school when I was young, this is when

the Nuns used to beat children with steel rulers,

their hands and just about anything they could get their

hands on. So, basically, I had the Catholic religion beat into me.

It was very bad. Years later, ST.Hillary's church in Montibello CA

got busted for breaking a childs fingers. Everyone split the school the next day. It was on the news, and paper. I was about fifteen and was very happy to see that church finally get stopped.

It was real bad.

I don't think anyone young or old should have to be forced,spammed,

or have anyone knock on their door pushing religion.

You should be able to make your own choices without any coaching what so ever.

Do I believe in God? I believe in scientific facts.

I'm sorry you had such an upbringing. It was routine to paddle kids as a form of discipline in my public school as well. However, I still believe in education. You have to draw a distinction between the concept and the application of the concept by imperfect beings. And, I still don't understand what your response has to do with your original statement.

PS Science isn't perfect, either. It's not uncommon for scientific "facts" to be proved wrong by subsequent science because the original techniques, theories or methodologies were flawed.

• Members

Confucius, roughly 400 years before the supposed birth of Jesus:

"Do not to others what you do not want done to yourself"

I think the teachings of Jesus as they are presented in the New Testament represent the absolute highest principles of human nature, but these moral principles existed in "heathen" cultures long before Jesus' time.

• Members
Originally posted by JKD

That's nice, but why do you feel the need to tell HCAF?

I would have told the Harmony-Central Religious Forum, but there isn't one yet...

I mainly was trying to see others stance on religion. That aint a sin is it?:confused::p

Tequila_titan:I believe and support the idea that people shouldn't tell their beliefs. Mainly because I don't give a {censored}.

Wow, that's one of the wonders of living in America, you've got the freedom to believe whatever you want, and you can voice your oppinion. Feels good to flex your rights, don't it?

• Members

Originally posted by chuckgp

You misunderstand faith and God in general if you think the only way to believe is to take the New Testament literally.

Only your interpretation is the correct one?

Sorry, that's BULL{censored}! Also quite UN-original.

Literal belief came after the fact, if there were any facts to it all.

I was not there, and also was not there for any of the other Messiah-type mythologies' beginnings. I don't take those literally either.

I'm against that belief-structure, not the people suffering from it.

They deserve mercy. They have my pity. They are adult children.

Chuck

Dude, take a chill pill. Where did I say that I think the only way to believe is to take the NT literally? Where did I say only my interpretation is the correct one? To the contrary, the vehemence of your opinions appears to me as you believe your views are the only true and correct way and all other persons are to be "pitied".

I think many of Jesus' teachings can be taken literally. Can you prove to me empirically that he did not say the things that were attributed to him?

Feel sorry for yourself. Those of us who choose to believe/worship differently from you don't need your pity or your condescending attitude.

• Members

Bump...

Originally posted by Lambros

I think he meant to say that Paul pretty much superimposed his version of Christ's teachings and philosophy to the point where Jesus and Paul are inseparable.

Paul is responsible for Christianity as we know it.

• Members

Originally posted by pennypusher

Confucius, roughly 400 years before the supposed birth of Jesus:

"Do not to others what you do not want done to yourself"

I think the teachings of Jesus as they are presented in the New Testament represent the absolute highest principles of human nature, but these moral principles existed in "heathen" cultures long before Jesus' time.

All the great Teachers and Guides that have been sent to the human race throughout history have brought the same Teaching, the same Wisdom, clothed in whatever particular form and package was appropriate and receivable in the particular time and place in which the particular Teacher appeared. It's that consistency, not some supposed "originality" or "uniqueness," that ought to be the measure of any particular teacher's validity . . .

• Members

Paul took Christ's practical philosophy. one that would be on equal footing with Confucius's, Socrates, Plato's, etc., and turned it into the dogma (religion) we know today.
Christ in no way, shape or form conceived salvationism: that's 100% Pauline Christianity. Christians who wish to jump all over me for say that, don't waste your time, instead use that energy to really learn about the roots of Saul and how he used the Roman Empire to hatch his concept of salvationism. Paul is the reason why Christianity exists.

• Members
Originally posted by Lambros

Paul took Christ's practical philosophy. one that would be on equal footing with Confucius's, Socrates, Plato's, etc., and turned it into the dogma (religion) we know today.

Christ in no way, shape or form conceived salvationism: that's 100% Pauline Christianity. Christians who wish to jump all over me for say that, don't waste your time, instead use that energy to really learn about the roots of Saul and how he used the Roman Empire to hatch his concept of salvationism. Paul is the reason why Christianity exists.

Saul or Paul? I'm confused :confused:

• Members

They are one and the same person. Don't wish to be pendantic if you already know but in case you don't, Saul changed his name to Paul...Road to Damascus...right?

Originally posted by Riverdragon

Saul or Paul? I'm confused
:confused:

• Members

Jesus was the master of his time, he revealed Knowledge or Gnosis to his students.

He did survive the crucfixion, met Saul afterwards for a few days, taught him, then proceeded to his final destination in Kashmir.

Saul, like so many new students, permutated his own sensibilities into a PR campaign for his fervor, and justifiable zeal...he did however, create a religion, along with Peter and these two sects, were dismissed by those who did follow Christ's exact teaching, that the Kingdom of heaven is within.

Thes folks were ostracized by Paul and decided to move to the orient, creating the very first schism in the fledgling groups of Christ's followers.

Christ lived many years in Kashmir before he passed ( gravesite here: http://www.tombofjesus.com/home.htm ) and who the hell knows if Paul ever had more then a basic clue as to what he should hev been paying attention to...

• Members

Originally posted by Mesaholic

Dude, take a chill pill. Where did I say that I think the only way to believe is to take the NT literally? Where did I say only my interpretation is the correct one? To the contrary, the vehemence of your opinions appears to me as you believe your views are the only true and correct way and all other persons are to be "pitied".

I think many of Jesus' teachings can be taken literally. Can you prove to me empirically that he did not say the things that were attributed to him?

Feel sorry for yourself. Those of us who choose to believe/worship differently from you don't need your pity or your condescending attitude.

Should I take a Darvon or Flexeril chill pill?

Only literalists need pity, oh great generalizer.

Not 'all other persons' Nor is it 'Those of us who choose to believe/worship differently from you"

You're being ridiculous.

Again, things are not what they appear.

I 'think for myself, and watch the (literalist) walls become sand beneath my feet'.

It's up to you to prove it. I'm not claiming that my savior is the only true one, the only one to do all those miracles literally.

With all these 'over 100 non-Christian references' we keep on hearing about, this

'commonly accepted among scholars' belief that he existed.

It should be easy for you.

No one's posted a damn thing to PROVE it yet. Not one excerpt from anywhere, I'd think you could find at least a few??

Oh, I forgot, the bible is true because it says in the bible that its true, right?

There is no one true, correct way for everyone, but there are a few wrong ones.

Chuck

• Members

Originally posted by chuckgp

Should I take a Darvon or Flexeril chill pill?

Only literalists need pity, oh great generalizer.

Not 'all other persons' Nor is it 'Those of us who choose to believe/worship differently from you"

You're being ridiculous.

Again, things are not what they appear.

I 'think for myself, and watch the (literalist) walls become sand beneath my feet'.

It's up to you to prove it. I'm not claiming that my savior is the only true one, the only one to do all those miracles literally.

With all these 'over 100 non-Christian references' we keep on hearing about, this

'commonly accepted among scholars' belief that he existed.

It should be easy for you.

No one's posted a damn thing to PROVE it yet. Not one excerpt from anywhere, I'd think you could find at least a few??

Oh, I forgot, the bible is true because it says in the bible that its true, right?

There is no one true, correct way for everyone, but there are a few wrong ones.

Chuck

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

Archived