OMG !!! Coyotes ate my Cat!

GasMask

• Members

GRRRRRRR

I live on a few acres at the edge of town. Yesterday Coyotes attacked our cat not far behind our house. Nothing left but tufts of hair on the ground. The same thing has happened to our neighbors also. I've heard the coyotes at night. They get worked up into an absolute frenzy of yelping. Sounds EXACTLY like 50 kids screaming and laughing and playing. Everytime I try to film or record them they shut up and run off. The day before the attack, we had a birthday party in the back yard. Lots of Pizza, etc. Wonder if the smell attracted them? I didn't see the attack, so it's possible it was a hawk (was a small cat). Also, there has been a credible mountain lion sighting just down the road from us. Really think it was coyotes though, especially given what has happened to our neighbors. I have a "live and let live" attitude about animals like that. They are trying my patience though! :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

sorry to hear that. we have lost 3 dogs and 3 cats to coyotes over the years. In their defense, they are doing what nature intended...doesn't make finding pieces of a beloved pet strewn across the yard, or stripped to the skeleton any easier.:(

• Members

That totally sucks. Where we're at, I hear the coyotes at night on the hill behind our house, but I haven't seen them yet. I have a "shoot on sight" attitude about animals like that if they come close to the house! I don't think a hungry coyote cares much if it's a cat or a dog, or a little kid...

• Members

Thanks for all your thoughts! Really amazed at how many have had the same experience. Even though I heard about it, it was one of those things I never thought would happen to me. I have half a mind to get some meat and bait the coyotes in. Now I understand all the ranchers and farmers that kill them and hang them from their fences. Would have liked to bring the cat in at night. Unfortunately, we also have a wolf hybrid that lives in the house so the cat had to stay outside. My wife loves the property too much to ever move. Plus, there is a nice studio on the property that includes a 2,400 square foot soundproof room. I would hate to leave that behind. I know you can't blame a snake for being a snake- but I am a little pissed at the coyotes now!

• Members

Originally posted by GasMask

Thanks for all your thoughts! Really amazed at how many have had the same experience. Even though I heard about it, it was one of those things I never thought would happen to me. I have half a mind to get some meat and bait the coyotes in. Now I understand all the ranchers and farmers that kill them and hang them from their fences. Would have liked to bring the cat in at night. Unfortunately, we also have a wolf hybrid that lives in the house so the cat had to stay outside. My wife loves the property too much to ever move. Plus, there is a nice studio on the property that includes a 2,400 square foot soundproof room. I would hate to leave that behind. I know you can't blame a snake for being a snake- but I am a little pissed at the coyotes now!

do they make anything that will keep them away?

• Members

They are seriously dangerous animals...They CAN pose a threat to humans. IF you can hear them the way you are describing them, you need to take action.

The one guy posted a .22. Well I don't know about you, but I'd use something more on the lines of a high powered riffle

I.e 22/250, or shotty, 12 guage, 20 guage (slug), or 30 ot 6, .338, and such. If you don't have guns, then call someone that does..

BUT. I'd do this as a last resort...These are creatures are on this earth and they have every right to be here..Chances are your city and developers came into their home, as much as they are coming to your home! I'm not blaming you, but you should understand, they are just trying to live and survive. Maybe consider a fence?

• Members

Originally posted by rockon1202

That's why my cat is a housecat only. We've got a blue heeler and a husky, but they're usually not out by themselves, and they seem like they could take care of themselves if they needed to, if not....they can both run like hell.

Are they tied up?

----

Anyhow, We've got 4 cats now (actually, two full-grown, two kittens) - and I take the (formerly) male outside every once in a while. However:

1) I never let him walk out on his own. I must pick him up, and take him outside, then I can put him down. This keeps him from running out the door whenever it's opened.

2) I never leave him outside alone. I might not be paying close attention (grilling some steaks, etc) but I always keep track of where he is, and what he's up to. For the most part, he helps me mow the lawn - lol

--

One of the neighbors has an outdoor cat, or at least one they let in/out of their garage all the time. I found out shortly after getting our house, when we washed our vehicles and had cat paw marks all over them. I guess if that cat's alright, there's nothing too dangerous around...still, our cats are indoor cats, and the male gets to go outside every once in a while as a treat. (the other full-grown cat is agorophobic and spazzes out, the kittens are too young to have fear)

• Members

Originally posted by sertivide-grazy

{censored} PETA.

coyote%20hunt.jpg

That picture makes me want to kill both of those mother{censored}ers...IT makes me absolutely sick. I'm not a big animal lover, but that is just unecessary. THERE IS NO REASON for that. {censored} that {censored}.

• Members

GRRRRRRR. Sounds EXACTLY like 50 kids screaming and laughing and playing. :

yeah I remember when I first moved to AZ and was on a good amount of property, I would hear them all the time, and it scared the {censored} out of me because I really thought it was an ass load of kids! my puppy was goin nuts. we ended up leaving the front flood lights on at night and they wouldnt come back. sorry about your kitty

• Members

Originally posted by EpiPaul03

That picture makes me want to kill both of those mother{censored}ers...IT makes me absolutely sick. I'm not a big animal lover, but that is just unecessary. THERE IS NO REASON for that. {censored} that {censored}.

It could have been a pic of 4 hunters with 24 red coyotes.

• Members

Originally posted by SuperStrat

A pitbull would have no problem with a coyote... any dog over ~35lbs would be avoided by a coyote.

I dunno...I think it depends on just how hungry the coyotes are, and how many of them there are.

• Members

Originally posted by EpiPaul03

i am a total animal lover (cant even kill anything larger then a black widow, and thats a bit much) but you really dont know whats goin on in that pic. for all you know they are over populated there could be advancing to the city, eating pets, kids, sandwiches, who knows. all i know is that if anything happened to my puppy, there would be a mass coyote-cide goin on.

• Members

I have a "live and let live" attitude about animals like that. They are trying my patience though!
:mad:

Lose that attitude and start acting like the top-of-the-food-chain-predator that you are. Stop filming and start shooting.

Most states do not classify coyotes as game animals - usually they are considered a varmint or nuisance animal, and don't worry about harming the species; there are plenty to go around.

If it is a big cat then you had better contact your State Fish and Game. Cougars are moving into the suburbs and people are being killed in places like Colorado and California.

Forget about a dog, sure one good sized dog is a match for a southern coyote but those things move in packs and hunt as a team. Together they can turn any single housepet into a meal if they really want to.

• Members

GRRRRRRR

I live on a few acres at the edge of town. Yesterday Coyotes attacked our cat not far behind our house. Nothing left but tufts of hair on the ground. The same thing has happened to our neighbors also. I've heard the coyotes at night. They get worked up into an absolute frenzy of yelping. Sounds EXACTLY like 50 kids screaming and laughing and playing. Everytime I try to film or record them they shut up and run off. The day before the attack, we had a birthday party in the back yard. Lots of Pizza, etc. Wonder if the smell attracted them? I didn't see the attack, so it's possible it was a hawk (was a small cat). Also, there has been a credible mountain lion sighting just down the road from us. Really think it was coyotes though, especially given what has happened to our neighbors. I have a "live and let live" attitude about animals like that. They are trying my patience though!

That really sucks man. I had two month old kittens who were living out in our barn. They were cute as hell. One day my nieghbors dogs came up and tore them to bits. My mother went to thier house and bitched them out and they didnt even give a {censored}. Kinda blew her off. A couple days later, one of thier dogs dies from ingesting anti freeze. ;) An eye for an eye is what i say. A few months later the other one dies as well. I dont know why.

Archived