May - New Gear Thread!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hi mates,

Finally got myself (and for my beloved synths) Boss RC-20XL Loop Station!

After 3 days - I don't know how I've lived without it!

I'm gonna use it on stage very soon... :cool:

RC20XL-large.jpg

And few weeks ago (end of April) got my synths some quirky companions:

PiggyFX D.U.I. Overdrive Pedal - which is wonderful!

D.U.I_LED.jpg

+

Z.VEX Fuzz Factory

fuzz-factory-vexter.jpg

Cheers! :thu:

SpyBar

• Members

Didn't find one yet, I'm going to see if I can put that Novation Nocturn to work on it. I recall the previous one choking on too much MIDI input.

So, that gives me:

- FB01

- DX100 (modded, w/o keyboard now - yes, what a shame)

- TX81Z

- DX7 mkI

- DX7 mkII

What surprised me the most about the first TX81Z was how pristine it actually could sound. For some reason, the reviews of FM synths on VintageSynth kind of make all FM machines sound lackluster, cold and brittle, while they're actually pretty hi-fi, ridiculously dynamic - and into territory that's usually reserved for modulars.

And I -still- want to pick up another DX7 and perhaps a DX21.

• Members

Finally, after 6 months of waiting, my 40th birthday present is due to be shipped to me next week!

Halfspeedcolossus.jpg

I ordered it last November, but they haven't been able to get them until now.

something seems off with that pic. *looking at you very slyly* :poke:

• Members

Finally, after 6 months of waiting, my 40th birthday present is due to be shipped to me next week!

Halfspeedcolossus.jpg

I ordered it last November, but they haven't been able to get them until now.

OMG!!!

That is incredible.....

Spybar:

Much love for the Fuzz Factory.

newest_fuzz.jpg

A truly awesome distortion...

• Members

And I -still- want to pick up another DX7 and perhaps a DX21.

What's driving that? No TX816 for you? ;)

I still have some residual GAS for a Yamaha DX7IID/FD. :)

Right now, my FM tools include:

cheers,

Ian

• Members

lol this one takes about 10 hours to warm up... and it's looking now like i may have to cancel the order if the delivery involves one guy who is going to drop like a 200lb pallette in the street outside my house... i had figured they could have at least got it indoors :(

there is some video of one at Oozing Goo but you need a login to watch.

• Members

That looks to be a nice little controller.

The Automap software that comes with it is pretty nifty, too! Live 8 has now something like it, only native (e.g. only the controls you really want are included in the list).

I can appreciate all in that list save the FB01 - never having used one myself, I wonder what its value is.

The FB01's role is similar to that of the TX7 - an expander - only filled with more presets, and for 4-op machines. The naming convention doesn't really make sense, I think.

The DX7 mk1 can transmit presets the moment you switch to them, but the system's own settings are left alone, which means a bit of detune on the slave device and then you've got a way bigger sound. Pan hard left/right - even more goodness!

Clavia Nord Modular (G1 w/DSP expansion)

Still have my Micromodular too, and I've looked into switching to the bigger one - but each time I found one it went away too fast or I didn't have the cash handy. I still have my Onyx 1620 to replace, but the intended replacement (Fireface 800) is going to be costly.

Then again, I should've bought that instead of the Onyx in the first place.

• Members

Just in before the end of the month:

443320.jpg

Grabbed for $220 from Musician's Friend (scratch/dent, though I generally have good luck with those). Should do a good job.

alesis-qs8-2.jpg

$100 from Guitar Center's Memorial Day sale. :) Was the fourth person in the door, first to the keyboard department. The right side was bashed in and a few keys are funky, but I fixed the body and it shouldn't be too hard to fix the keys. Just need to mess with the contacts a bit.

Archived