Would you sell out for $1M

Lucius

• Members

Would you play you play what you preceive as "Sell out" Music if offered the chance?

I would in a heart beat. If someone wants to pay me big $$$ to play my guitar I would say sure what the hell. I could pay off my house, which would take me a {censored} load more time working a regular job. How about you? Cheers Lucius

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

that depends, to me selling out is AILD, a band that used to stand up for their faith and now acts like God doesn't even exist onstage. in that respect, no I would not sell out. Not for any amount of money.

If selling out is signing to a major label and dumbing down my music...yeah, I'd sell out:D

• Members

Aye. I'd do it. Thing is, if you sell out (or buy in, depending on how you look at it), you are essentially able to become financially independant.

Say that $1M is after taxes, net profit. You find some bank that'll give you 2% interest, that's $20,000 a year. Livable. Almost hand to mouth, but livable.

That's just putting in some savings account, that's not counting making smart investments, or generally being clever as {censored} with your money. That's just like, a bare minimum projected income. However, any bank you walked into would GLADLY give you better than 2% interest on that kind of money. I'm talking worst case, here.

Meaning, if you can keep a reign on your budget, you could theoretically live okay for the rest of your life, doing music as you pleased.

All for playing some {censored} tunes that get pre-teen girls all wet. Sure, you might have wrecked some "cred" but if you have ties with a major band/label like that, I don't think even the hardest punk would tell you to {censored} off for having been in, say, Nickelback.

By selling out, you've afforded yourself the oppertunity to have all the artistic integrity you could ever ask for (via financial independance).

Of course, you'd have to live with the irony of selling out to have artistic integrity.

• Members

Originally posted by Lucius

Would you play you play what you preceive as "Sell out" Music if offered the chance?

I would in a heart beat. If someone wants to pay me big $$$ to play my guitar I would say sure what the hell. I could pay off my house, which would take me a {censored} load more time working a regular job. How about you? Cheers Lucius

• Members

Originally posted by BrendanO

Say that $1M is after taxes, net profit. You find some bank that'll give you .02% interest, that's $20,000 a year. Livable. Almost hand to mouth, but livable.

Since you're taxed on it, you would have less than that. Nonetheless, anybody that would be happy making 2% on a mil would probably be dumb enough to blow it all in a few years anyway.

Nonetheless, I agree that 1 mil cleared could set you well on your way to permanent financial independence, if you're smart about it.

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

Since you're taxed on it, you would have less than that. Nonetheless, anybody that would be happy making 2% on a mil would probably be dumb enough to blow it all in a few years anyway.

Nonetheless, I agree that 1 mil cleared could set you well on your way to permanent financial independence, if you're smart about it.

Yeah. Income tax on that 20,000 would put you at, what, $15,000 ish? That'd be hand to mouth, no better than working at McDonalds.

But, like you said, if you're dumb enough to settle for that, well...good luck, there, bub.

• Members
Originally posted by buddastrat

nobody's gonna say no.
:D

It's funny though, that $ doesn't change anything for anyone. If they were miserable before, they still will be. I know a few lottery winners and they're just as screwed up as ever.

Most/many people who win the lottery end up with nothing after a somewhat short period of time anyway. The problem is, if you don't know how to manage money, it doesn't matter how much you have, it's going to disappear because if you have more, you'll spend more.

• Members

for a mill...yeah i think i'd take the cash, hell i might be the only guy playing pop music with 4 framus/splawn full stacks :D

it would be a good way to finance my death metalcore side project in my downtime :D

i would sell out and do lame music for the right price, but it would have a be a pretty substantial life-style changing sum...more than i could make managing a restaraunt (which isn't big pay, but it ain't small either :wave: )

• Members
Originally posted by Bob Savage

Most/many people who win the lottery end up with nothing after a somewhat short period of time anyway. The problem is, if you don't know how to manage money, it doesn't matter how much you have, it's going to disappear because if you have more, you'll spend more.

since we started our state lottery a few years ago, i've seen this happen time and time again...anyone with half a lick of common sense would've gotten themselves out of debt, made some moderate decisions, and then made some sort of investment and waited for a decent return...THEN you can indulge in some big spending :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Lucius

Does not matter if you sell out or not. As soon as a band has major success most idiots will call them a sell out anyway. The general public is fickle. A musicians career is usually short unless you are lucky. That said I would rather be a rich sellout then a poor hasbeen.

Archived