Would you sell out for $1M

Lucius

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

Most/many people who win the lottery end up with nothing after a somewhat short period of time anyway. The problem is, if you don't know how to manage money, it doesn't matter how much you have, it's going to disappear because if you have more, you'll spend more.

Yep. No managment skills. They win $20,000,000, and go but a 5 million dollar house, a dick with wheels for all their friends, and fill a pool with Jell-O, and wonder why they're bankrupt a year later.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by XamendedX

that depends, to me selling out is AILD, a band that used to stand up for their faith and now acts like God doesn't even exist onstage. in that respect, no I would not sell out. Not for any amount of money.

If selling out is signing to a major label and dumbing down my music...yeah, I'd sell out:D

In the immortal words of St. Hendrix: There's a difference between selling a record and selling out.
;)

• Members

Originally posted by BrendanO

Yep. No managment skills. They win $20,000,000, and go but a 5 million dollar house, a dick with wheels for all their friends, and fill a pool with Jell-O, and wonder why they're bankrupt a year later.

HAHAHAHA... that's it! What they seem to dumb to understand is that lifestyle needs to be fed with income, whether earned or passive. These people can't figure out how to get enough flow to pay the property taxes on the new house, let alone all the peripheral spending to keep that up. I mean, just the fact that most of the people who win shouldn't be spending their money on lottery tickets in the first place tells you something...

• Members

I'd play guitar backing up Rafi's kid tunes if it meant that I could make a living playing guitar. And put a million dollars in the picture? At the end of the day, that's a lot of money for someone to want me to play guitar for them. And that's ok by me.

We're going to the zoo, zoo, zoo. How about you, you, you. You can come too, too, too. We're going to the zoo, zoo, zoo.

• Members

No doubt. The guys who claim their " musical integrity" would get in the way are a crackup, whether they're just plain dumb-serious or just aren't really thinking it through.

'Selling out' is a myth.

What really happens is this:

I stumbled onto some band/artist, and not too many people have heard of them. I can turn some of my buds onto this, and if they like it.... cool. If not, they just don't know what good music is...

2 years and another album later, now the whole world knows who they are, and if I tell somebody that I like them, I'm not special, or 'in the know' ... I'm just one of 10 million other dickheads who are into it.

So they suck. And they sold out.

Ain't I special?

• Members

HAHAHAHA... that's it! What they seem to dumb to understand is that lifestyle needs to be fed with income, whether earned or passive. These people can't figure out how to get enough flow to pay the property taxes on the new house, let alone all the peripheral spending to keep that up. I mean, just the fact that most of the people who win shouldn't be spending their money on lottery tickets in the first place tells you something...

I dunno about dumb, I think it's a sense of scale. Say you get a blue collar guy, with three kids. He's probably really good at blancing the check book to a dime so he can feed his kids at $25,000 a year as a cop, teacher, garbage man or something.

Now, give that person $20M....it might as well be infinity money to someone like that. You're making $15K a year at Burger King, $20M is probably too much to *really* get your head around. So you end up blowing all the money on stupid {censored}. Because it's $20M, how could I ever spend that kind of money?

By buying a $5M house, that's how.

Buy a nice house in a nice neighborhood, and a new Honda, don't go buying a house in Beverly Hills and a Bently. DUMBASS.

If I ever get $1M free and clear, you best believe I'm going to seek out a professional financial advisor.

• Members

Originally posted by squealie

2 years and another album later, now the whole world knows who they are, and if I tell somebody that I like them, I'm not special, or 'in the know' ... I'm just one of 10 million other dickheads who are into it.

So they suck. And they sold out.

Ain't I special?

I've said this for years:

The best band in the world is the one that only YOU listen to. As soon as you show them to your friend, they're worthless sellouts pandering to the masses. Because two people can go to a band's head like that. And their wallet.

• Members

I'm really surprised about the responses in this thread. Usually the "artistic integrity" zealots are all over these threads like stink on poo.

If I was already doing ok making a living playing guitar, and I was in a band that I really felt was going places and could make it (ask me again in a year...I'm loving the band I'm in now), then I might have answered differently. I'm guessing the people who have responded are people who are at their day jobs, and would rather be playing guitar at this particular moment. Whereas, those who are already "making it" as a musician who would be more likely to go the artistic integrity route are either sleeping off last night's performance, getting ready to get to their next performance, or playing/practicing.

Just a guess.

• Members

Originally posted by BOOGIE666

what if say it were a million dollars to play scooped mid nu-metal for two years. Could you guys hack it???

We're musicians: it's only a matter of time until we're all wandering around, glazed look in our eye, screaming at random people as we stumble down the street, half baked on coke and booze....

Yeah, I'd add a backwards baseball cap to that for $1M.

• Members

Originally posted by BrendanO

I dunno about dumb, I think it's a sense of scale. Say you get a blue collar guy, with three kids. He's probably really good at blancing the check book to a dime so he can feed his kids at $25,000 a year as a cop, teacher, garbage man or something.

Now, give that person $20M....it might as well be infinity money to someone like that. You're making $15K a year at Burger King, $20M is probably too much to *really* get your head around. So you end up blowing all the money on stupid {censored}. Because it's $20M, how could I ever spend that kind of money?

By buying a $5M house, that's how.

Buy a nice house in a nice neighborhood, and a new Honda, don't go buying a house in Beverly Hills and a Bently. DUMBASS.

If I ever get $1M free and clear, you best believe I'm going to seek out a professional financial advisor.

Maybe "dumb" is strong, perhaps ignorant is a better term.

I think it's really simple, however, live below your means. If you're clearing $100,000 a year, then live on $75k or less and save/invest the rest, if you're clearing $50k, try to live on $38k and invest/save the rest.

Of course, getting a lump sum can indeed confuse people, but still, it's what's coming through that should be used as a guage, not the big heap. Buy expensive toys, and they must be maintained.

An yeah, kickin' cash out for a good financial advisor is prudent!

• Members

Originally posted by Monsoon

Whereas, those who are already "making it" as a musician who would be more likely to go the artistic integrity route are either sleeping off last night's performance, getting ready to get to their next performance, or playing/practicing.

Just a guess.

Right, and most of those doing that today will be wondering where they're going to make their next dollar, three years from now. Then, they'll "sell out," if they have the opportunity, that is.

• Members

Maybe "dumb" is strong, perhaps ignorant is a better term.

I think it's really simple, however, live below your means. If you're clearing $100,000 a year, then live on $75k or less and save/invest the rest, if you're clearing $50k, try to live on $38k and invest/save the rest.

Of course, getting a lump sum can indeed confuse people, but still, it's what's coming through that should be used as a guage, not the big heap. Buy expensive toys, and they must be maintained.

An yeah, kickin' cash out for a good financial advisor is prudent!

We agree completely, Bob. I'm not around here enough to know if this is a good or bad thing.

• Members
Originally posted by RockNote

Sorry to be vulgar, but are we talking boy bands? Then no! This is male prostitution.

Dude, if the Backstreet Boys offered you 1 mil a year to go on tour and play guitar with them, you'd be on stage behind them jumping around and pretending to enjoy the music. :p

Archived