Would you sell out for $1M

Lucius

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by WillShrdForFood

I would hardcore dance in a bunny suit at a Good Charlotte concert for a million dollars

That could be fun though. Even Ashlee Simpson's guitar player probably has a nice gig, decent accomadations, perhaps can stop the tape and play for real every once in a while.

What if 'sell out' became something beyond the sphere of 'music', say Madonna was looking to beef up her sound and stumbled upon the amp forum and posted a thread offering 1 mil for one year BUT you HAVE to take dance lessons so you can fit into here show? I'd play w/ just about anyone. {censored}, between an amp and a guitar and a mixing board you have about 500 knobs so you can push whatever borders they give you but if you are {censored}in' dancing w/ Madonna, SHE's gonna have her fingers on most of the knobs, if not yours as well now that she's settled down.

I think that I would play with just about anyone for a while for a million bucks and prorate it if it sucked to much and cash out. I would not at any point in time EVER agree to dance as part of a musical act.

• Members

my take is I go to a job that while I like it, it's not my life long dream. If I could play sellout music instead of having a job at least I would be playing guitar for a living! So a resounding HELL YES is my answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus if you are a guitarist for a pop artist or something you can probably get some endorsement deals.

• Members

This is an interesting thread, the real truth is that most people that play music for a living A) usually aren't playing their own music and B) are lucky to make middle income. My best friend is a drummer for a pretty successful country music artist. He is the "road drummer", for "solo artists" the cds are usually cut with studio musicians, in Nashville, that is a pretty small group that plays on almost every disc that comes out of there. My friend makes less than I do as an engineer, but is doing okay. He has a house for his wife and kid, and he's paying for it doing what he loves, playing music. Is country music his passion? Not by a long shot, jazz, fusion, and even some rock are, but those don't pay the bills. Is he sorry he quit his "day job" to do this? Nope, he hated it. Does it cause stress at home because he's on the road alot? Yep, sure does.

I also have some friends that were in a NC band on a major label in the early 90s, had a couple of #1s and toured with Aerosmith, Robert Plant, ZZ Top, and others. What did the bass player and drummer do when they weren't on tour? Taught lessons to pay the bills. The person that makes the real money are the ones with the writer's credits, in this case, mostly the guitarist. Another friend of mine was the bass player with a band back in the 80s and 90s, they played with a chainsaw... He got tired of it and went back to TN where we grew up. He plays in a cover band there to pay the bills.

Sorry, just wanted to get a reality check in here. If music is your passion and you want to do it "for a living", you'll do whatever it takes. The one thing I don't know is any "musical millionaires". Is playing music "that isn't true to your artistic vision" to make a living selling out? What about driving a truck? Being an engineer?

Given the chance to do it over again, I would probably take the pay cut to enjoy the work more, even if I didn't write the music and I had to wear a bunny suit.

$0.02

• Members

a million dollars!!!

WHo wouldn't????

I'd sell out and play pop or what ever, get a huge following then go totally metal and tell reporters, the press etc. to {censored} off and {censored}. It would be my version on musical terrorism.

Imagine a band like Hanson... They get in all the G rated teeny boppers and their wholesome mums and dads, then on their next album, they go fully death metal and scare the {censored} out of everyone and scar them fo the rest of their lives.

Hanson wil never be scary, neither will I ever play pop. Funny thought though.

• Members

Originally posted by Bradman006

a million dollars!!!

WHo wouldn't????

I'd sell out and play pop or what ever, get a huge following then go totally metal and tell reporters, the press etc. to {censored} off and {censored}. It would be my version on musical terrorism.

but would you dance and act fruity? I suspect that everyone would have a 'line' somewhere, whether it would be Madonna or GG Allin, that they would not cross, even for $$$$ out the wazoo/ a chunk that might be like 10-20 years pay for a 'normal' straight type of job. The other thing is that there are a lot of guitar players, for folks like Ashlee Simpson or Madonna who, even though they play for 10,000 people/ night are unknown so the 1 mil MIGHT not have 'huge following' type of appeal.

Although that idea DOES have some kind of appeal. Sneak your death metal rig onstage or even just stick a {censored}in' metal zone in front of whatever string of FX you'd have stacked up and go nuts...muwahahahahaha...

• Members
Originally posted by cantoXIII

i never said i was the next guitar god or was going to change music altogether, it's just a goal that i feel is worth striving for. attainable or not, there is still a better chance that something good will come from experimenting, as opposed to just playing the same boring, redundant music just because you're comfortable with it.

give me about 5 months and i'll have songs to show you. until then, i'm going to try with all my {censored}ing might to at least make something worth calling good music.

Obviously, you took the time and effort to examine thoroughly a diverse sampling of the music of every other member of this forum, before you proceeded to post your bull{censored} agenda-ridden claims regarding the alleged redundancy and boredom of everybody else's music besides your own. Obviously. :rolleyes:

• Members
Originally posted by Bob Savage

So are you saying you don't play music? I'm having difficulty understanding as you seem to have left your first thought before completing it.

Anyway, you don't do it for a living, so if you do it at all, it's a hobby, whether it's a passion or not.

Now, to your "speaking generally," what makes you think you can generalize like this? Is it because some said they would take a million to "sell out?" There are SO many possibilities available for your "passion" when you get to do it for a living. Even if your primary gig isn't the music that really drives your creativity, who cares? Mechanics are a big part of not only playing, but writing if you have any intent of performing the music.

In any event, I've been around here long enough (and don't recognize you, by the way), that I can say MOST of the people I encounter on this forum are indeed passionate about music and playing.

I'm going to assume that you just didn't explain yourself well in the paragraph I quoted above, and you do indeed play music, what is it that you play? Let's hear you pushing the limits of music.

I will of course, not be surprised if you can't provide anything, because most of the people that have big talk have nothing to share, and generally, provide nothing substantive or constructive in dialogue either.

I'm not going to throw Jimi in front of the bus to make a point, although I do have some opinions about him that may not be the most popular, however, let me take this from a different perspective.

You are aware that you're using a legend of rock, and music in general to state your point, right? There are very, very few truly groundbreaking musicians throughout the years who innovate to the point that they're remembered for many years to come. Hendrix is one, Van Halen is one, and even Malmsteen is one, but to use them as a comparison with your "average joe" is invalid. These innovators have more going on than just sitting around thinking about what great innovation they can come up with next. To the contrary, it comes quite natural to them. From what I can tell, most of them don't "sit around" doing anything. They pick up their instrument and go.

I'm beginning to feel as if you don't understand what the term "hobby" means. One can be as passionate about music as Mozart, but if they're playing music after work and on weekends, it's a hobby.

To call music that others like "bull{censored}" tells me that you're a very narrow minded individual, from an ARTISTIC standpoint. Preference in art is purely subjective, and for you to knock what others enjoy and are
passionate
about means you don't understand the essense of what art is.

I would never have guessed you were young. The way you're knocking various genres of music sounds more like a narrow minded old mans point of view to me.

In any event, there's nothing wrong with trying to make it more than a hobby, but the fact of the matter is, for now, for you, it is a hobby. Don't be offended, and there's no need to rail on "most" of the people on this forum because you think they're playing "bull{censored}" and have no passion for music. To the contrary, there's a lot of passion for music on this forum. If you're unable to detect it, I would again propose that you don't understand art.

Easily amused?

+1000!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Bob Savage rocks. And his music's pretty good, too.
:D

Archived