Korg SV-1 Stage Vintage Piano official video is online!

RichF

• Members

Interesting new piece of gear! This sounds a little bit familiar....here's a thread in which I kinda sorta asked for Korg to make this about 4 years ago

I do recall talking with Jerry K at NAMM a year or two ago (I think it was the one where they had the CX3 in a Vox Continental tolex. He hinted that something cool was in the works and I'm glad to see this product making it to the market.

Can't wait to play it!

Regards,

Eric

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Are you sad that there are no drawbars or synth section, as per your original idea?

Or.... is Korg leaving those for SV-2, maybe?
:cop:

Inclusion of drawbars would have made this even cooler, but I think it will be better to keep the clonewheel separated. The SV-1 does have some synth features, maybe not a full rompler synth framework, but probably enough to get the job done for most gigs.

And no, I'm not trying to take credit for this instrument...just pointing out my clairvoyant awesomeness. :D I did the same thing by predicting the Nord Stage several years before it came out. If you want proof, just ask! :D:cop:

• Members

Sounds: 36 (512MB PCM ROM (16 bits linear conversion))?

Source: http://f.musicon.jp/rssc+single_feed.fid+52097.htm

If I was selling such a product I would mention the ROM size as it is relatively high, yet it is not mentioned in any marketing?

Roland Arrangers are advertised with bits instead of bytes. In other words they will claim over 1000 MB when really it is 128 Meg of ROM Bytes

512MB for 36 voices, with some upgrade in future meaning some of that is yet unused could really be 64 Meg of ROM Bytes. Still not bad over only 36 voices.

So two questions for Korg

Bits or Bytes?

Will upgrades (which will be patches and tweaks to existing ROM) be charged or free?

Still a fantastic keyboard regardless ;)

:wave:

• Members

Of that 512mb for 36 voices...how many are brand new samples made just for this board? Or are they "re-used" samples from the M3/M50 or whatever?

This is what Jerry from Korg wrote over at Korg Forum:

Most of the samples are all-new, and the voice engine is taken from our Pa products with the DNS architecture. So we have a huge pool of oscillators to work with and a lot of new voice characteristics like key-off's that track the decaying level of the currently sustained sound, and other cool things.

The acoustic piano sound has something like 19 oscillators if I remember, the "tine" EP (gotta watch the legal issues here!) is a 7-way velocity switched source with more elements like key-off samples, noises and other elements.

The organs are sampled, but include sampled leakage and other elements. But I hear you - modeling is certainly are more controllable/interactive method. But combing engines would have been more expensive. And we chose to not over-emphasize organs for a weighted-action product.

That said the Vox, Italian (rhymes with Marbisa!) and the American tube organ (the same classic played by Garth Hudson - who we sampled it from!) are very cool.

Look through the list of instruments provided - we went deep into each category to resurrect a lot of classic keys from the past.

We'll be posting more artist performance demos over the next month or so. We've got some great players and legends playing sounds for you.

Enjoy.

Regards,

Jerry

• Members
Demo 22 ''Upright'' on the Korg site
:love:

Looks like this reviewer loves the Upright sound too:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct09/articles/korgsv1.htm

Wish I could read the rest of that article...but you have to pay for the rest and I'm poor.

Probably kept all the good things in the first two paragraphs, then the "pay" part he probably rips the SV-1 to shreds. :D

Okay, probably not.

I'm still torn between getting this or the S90xs this next February.

• Members
Wish I could read the rest of that article...but you have to pay for the rest and I'm poor.

Probably kept all the good things in the first two paragraphs, then the "pay" part he probably rips the SV-1 to shreds.
:D

Okay, probably not.

I'm still torn between getting this or the S90xs this next February.

I do not subscribe either :facepalm:

Normaly they tell very little in the intro, so I get the impression it's gonna be a good review. I may have to bag one of these babies (88 Key).

Archived