Korg SV-1 Stage Vintage Piano official video is online!

RichF

• Members

Indeed, me too. I've always kinda liked the idea of the Electro's, with the focus on just the basic pianos and such, but the combination of their lackluster keyboard action, so-so accoustic piano and high-ish price tag have kept me away.

THIS is giving me serious gas. And (bonus points), teh wife didn't say "no". :D

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Basically a Nord Electro that looks way cooler, WITH synth/string machine/mellotron/etc AND a tube.

Yes, the Nord Electro 3 lacks the tube, but it does have a sampler so you can have synth/string machine/mellotron/orchestra/etc. In fact, Clavia has samples from the whole Mellotron library available for download.

I do like the SV-1 concept and I'm very eager to try one out. If it had a sampler and I liked the Rhodes/Wurlie samples, I'd probably sell my E3 and get the Korg.

- CM

• Members

Nice machine indeed, and comparably cheap at least for the EPs plus the tube.
Even though (1) the organ did not sound too impressive to me, (2) what can vintage synth mean when you don't even can control the ADSR??, (3) No infinite potentiometers with indicators??
But looks nice!! Bit like the MP8, and has great Pianos, for sure gonna try it out. Even though the 73 key version is quite heavy with 17.5 kg.

• Members
Yeah, no infinite pots with indicators. But they are finite and do have indicators
:D

Also this is more like pianist's board rather than organist's.

I agree...with the weighted keys and all. The Electro seems more like an organist's board with other sounds thrown in due to the waterfall keys and full simulation with "drawbars".

• Members

I love my E3 and what it does, but I sure hope that Nord will strike back with updated samples and OS'. The Rhodes samples in this thing sounds beastly; one thing that I've always found lacking in it's EPs and electromechanical simulations in general is actual mechanical noise, and it seems the SV-1 might solve this.

• Members

Definite winner here. I just wish it had a music stand attachment.

Korg went all out on the extras/accessories with the SV-1.

INCLUDED:

-- (sheet) Music stand (you can see the two holes on top of the keyboard that hold the music stand posts)

-- DS-2H damper pedal

OPTIONS (purchased separately):

-- Keyboard Stand (ST-SV1 matching stand)

-- Rolling Carrying Case (CB-SV1-73 or CB-SV1-88)

• Members

I'm going to buy one. Just have to wait until I can afford it.

I figure at a list price of $2700 $USD, these things will be popping up on ebay for $800 or so in 2016 or 2017.

Why not just buy a Motif/ Fantom / R50 or whatever and save a $1000 right now?

Sorry for the bitter tirade, but when I saw the announcement for the SV-1 ten days or so ago, I was hoping that it would list out at $1500. I mean at this stage of the game, how much better can this thing sound that a current M50? I understand that the UI and appearance on this thing is way cool, but $2700?

• Members

I'm going to buy one. Just have to wait until I can afford it.

I figure at a list price of $2700 $USD, these things will be popping up on ebay for $800 or so in 2016 or 2017.

Why not just buy a Motif/ Fantom / R50 or whatever and save a $1000 right now?

Sorry for the bitter tirade, but when I saw the announcement for the SV-1 ten days or so ago, I was hoping that it would list out at $1500. I mean at this stage of the game, how much better can this thing sound that a current M50? I understand that the UI and appearance on this thing is way cool, but $2700?

Where are you getting $2700? Expected retail price: $1810 (73-key), $1990 (88-key). The MSRP isn't even $2700. So again, where are you getting your price from?

• Members

I must say... this is the first time I'm really GASsing for anything from Korg, and first time I'm actually considering selling my old RD-700. The SV1 looks fabulous. Hmm, I wonder what the Korean prices will be...

• Members

- E. Piano type 1 (Tine EP/Amp, Tine EP/Phaser, Tremolo EP, Dyno EP, VPM Piano and VPM Tine)

- E. Piano type 2 (Reed EP 1, Reed EP 2, Electric Grand and SG-1D Piano, 80's Piano and MIDI Grand)

- Clav (Clav AC, Clav BC, Clav BD, Clav AD, ElectroPno and ElectraPno)

- Piano (Grand Piano 1, Grand Piano 2, Mono Grand, Upright, Piano/Strings and Piano/Pad)

- Organ (Click Tonewheel, Jazz Tonewheel, Full Tonewheel, Console Organ, Italian Combo and Vox Combo)

- Other (Full Strings, Tape Strings, 70s Strings, Choir, Synth Brass and Sharp Brass)

Okay, what does all this translate to in terms of actual instruments? I'm guessing the E. Piano's are all variations on a Rhodes? The Clavs are clavs. But which is a "Wurli"? Are those the "reed" pianos?

Need a translation here as I'm a big thicko in the head...

• Members

Okay, what does all this translate to in terms of actual instruments? I'm guessing the E. Piano's are all variations on a Rhodes? The Clavs are clavs. But which is a "Wurli"? Are those the "reed" pianos?

Yup, Wurlies are Reed Pianos.

• Members

If there is a seperate phaser control, why is there is there a instrument selection option for an EP with a Phaser? Same for the one with "/Amp" on it.

If so, that means that the switch that controls the samples being played does more than just that... which is weird because that is what I'd want the favorites button to do.

It may mean less samples and interestingness if so. It seems logically inconsistent.

I would hope all settings get saved with the favorite 1-8 and the instrument control doesn't mess with the effects and the amp.

• Members

Everything in the "Type 1" section is probably a Rhodes variant.

"Reed" would indeed be a Wurlizer. "Electric Grand" is most likely a Yamaha CP-80 or similar. "80's Piano" is probably a variation on that infamous DX-7 preset.

No clue about "SG-1D" and "MIDI Grand".

• Members

Questions for Jerry

In the demo you mention the loading of new sounds in the future, will this be new patches utilising the existing ROM or have you a way of adding/changing the ROM (which would then be FLASH memory)?

If the ROM is ROM and can not be altered or added to, then has the day one config utilised it all or will new pathes play with more unused ROM? The M3 used the sampling capacity to upgrade as we know.

We saw 512 Meg ROM mentioned in the Japanese web sites, any more details, lots of it used on the piano pathces or a fair spread across instruments (obviously some need more than others). Impressive in any case

:wave:

Archived