Korg SV-1 Stage Vintage Piano official video is online!

RichF

• Members

I was near my local GC today, so I dropped in with the hope that they'd have an SV-1 that i could try. No luck. When I asked the guy about it, he seemed to know what it was, though, but wasn't sure if they were getting them. He surfed around on his terminal and proclaimed that no of "his other" stores had any either, and couldn't tell if they would even be getting any at all.

Sigh.

In the meantime, I tried the 88-key M50, with the RH3 keybed. I plunked on it a bit, mainly checking out the feel, and... well, it's OK. right next to it was a CP300, so I plonked on that a bit and... much better.

Hmm. Strike one. I really need to hear and feel the thing as a whole before deciding.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

SV1 demos coming today...

just got to upload and do a bit more editing..ive made about 30 mins of footage and need to slim it down a little!

JD73 On Youtube

Cheers guys

Videos now live, some still processing so pls forgive the graininess for now.. also the distortion on some sounds is from overloading the camera mic, soz about that, but i havent had much time to do this and wanted to get something up asap for you guys especially.

• Members

Great demo. Now I almost feel obliged to get one. Now that we're talking tubes (I've never used tubes before!), is it possible to alter the sound to get a dirtier, cleaner, more/less vintage sound out of the keyboard by using different tubes?

The tube is not user-replaceable... it's not quite as simple as swapping it out to get a different sound. It's a part of our Valve Reactor circuitry, and it's tied to the amplifier models. So when you're using the Amp Model section of the SV-1, and selecting a specific model, the tube is voiced to emulate the power section of that amp.

From voxamps.com:

"This unique technology enables these units to provide the sound, feel and dynamic range that, until now, were only possible with a multitude of all-tube amplifiers. The Valve Reactor circuit uses a 12AX7 dual triode vacuum tube, a virtual output transformer and a dummy speaker circuit that simulates the reactive load of a real speaker. It reconfigures itself so that its characteristics are the same as the amps it

• Members

evildragon: quit the fanboy stuff, please :rolleyes: If it truly was being driven hard it would HAVE to be user-replaceable. Just the fact that it's supposed to lay in there forever tells the story.

Vox is reported to use the same trick that Behringer uses, when adding tubes to their processors and digital amps - they put lights behind the tubes to give the impression that the tube is lighting up. First of all, 12AX7s don't light up - when they are on, after a minute or two you can see the filament getting red but it's not enough to emit any kind of light.

So Korg is using the Vox circuit, and if you look at goldphinga's videos it's very clear that the tube is being back-lit.

Here's how it works (the picture is a Behringer Ultragain Pro, from the back):

tube-glow.jpg

So don't give me that crap - the tube is there doing something, but it's mostly a gimmick. Sorry, Rich, but the tube, while not being useless, is not being driven - the drive comes from elsewhere. Like ART, who also drives their tubes with low voltages but they still are used in the circuit and swapping them makes a difference - I put Phillips NOS tubes in my ART PRO and it sure did make a (little) difference. But you didn't need a tube to get the results that you get there - in fact, I opened up another preamp, the Aphex "Tubessence" and I found out the tube inside isn't connected to the circuit at all - and the Aphex actually sounds better than my ART for most applications (both are cheap preamps, so both are merely OK). I'm not really using either though, I just use my dbx 586 where the tubes really do get high voltages on their plate. It's still not a high end preamp... you really need to work it to get useful sounds.

Anyway, the point is - it's a gimmick.

• Members

Anyway, the point is - it's a gimmick.

It's not a gimmick at all. If it was a gimmick, it would provide no functionality at all.

With the Triton Extreme, one could easily turn the tube effect on and off. When you did, it altered the sound.

Yes Korg may backlight the tube (with the Triton extreme the casing was colored) but the main point is the tube effect actually alters the sound.

• Members

With the Triton Extreme, one could easily turn the tube effect on and off. When you did, it altered the sound.

True. With the tube in the TEx you could really boost the sound, make it warmer etc. It did make a difference.

Dunno about the tube in the SV1, but I hope to try the SV1 soon enough anyway.

• Members

I'm not saying the tube isn't part of the circuit - but that at low voltages, you're not getting the actual benefit that a vacuum tube provides. You're getting a result that could arguably be similar to what you have from other solid state components. You're certainly not getting the drive from the tube itself - there are surely other components in that circuit that are providing that.

• Members

True. With the tube in the TEx you could really boost the sound, make it warmer etc. It did make a difference.

Dunno about the tube in the SV1, but I hope to try the SV1 soon enough anyway.

I don't know much at all about the TEx design, but I understand it's quite different from this one. Still, if there was a sound change, it still doesn't mean that it was the tube that was actually accomplishing it... was the tube enclosed without ventilation at all? Did it have a backlight? Did your keyboard not heat up a bit? :lol: If so, chances are it wasn't doing a whole lot to the sound.

Archived