what's so different about gear slutz?

Metrosonus

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Honestly I'm surprised at some of the responses here. Especially the ones that say gearslutz doesn't "get it". It's apparent to me the majority HERE don't "get" (IMO) what gearslutz is REALLY about: A PROFESSIONAL's RECORDING forum!

The majority of these guys do this for a LIVING (Some recording VERY famous people in fact and are generous enough to share some knowledge with the rest of us), not jerking off in their bedroom with a VA synth. For the most part, they don't give two {censored}s about your keyboards! All they care about is what sounds good, records good, etc...

The electronic section quoted is ONE subforum, which honestly I have never even been to (Ditto for the hip hop forum) because that {censored} bores the ever living {censored} out of me. Flame on, but the majority of that stuff (again to me) is idiot paint by numbers work. Don't get me wrong there ARE some guys of TRUE genius out there but they're not doing HC style posts on ANY forum.

I love HC FWIW, but IMO this is a bottom feeder forum compared to GearSlutz IMO.

Those of you bitching about the price of entry for a solid front end are missing the point. Just because we have DAWS now that have made consoles and reel to reel machines optional doesn't change other fundamentals of recording. The Microphone, the electronics that Microphone goes into (Preamps, Compressors, EQ's, etc... and lastly, converters!), and the ROOM still matter! ALL of it! It's especially noticeable as you begin to add lots of tracks.

Otherwise why would big studios and the people that know how to run them still exist? Because everyone is STUPID? NO, because to do something considered of "professional" quality this stuff still matters and adds up. Sure your home recording with an Mbox and fruity loops might sound "good", but you're not fooling anyone that it came from a studio hired by a major label!

Notice though, low end studios and some middle range studios are dying off, because those results are becoming achievable by the average joe at a reasonable cost.

So again, Gearslutz are people aspiring to do the "High end", "Pro", (Insert adjective here), thing. They "Get" that there are few shortcuts to achieve those results and it's not cheap (Probably never gonna be!). Once you understand the mindset over there you'll understand GearSlutz. Sure there are hobbyists there, but it is NOT a hobby forum.

Whew!

• Members

i never think about that site, i've posted there thrice. i'm sure it's also a great place for the free flow of biased, subjective opinions on all things sound.

let me share the process by which i rate music websites, in order of importance:

1) fondness for lolcats

2) number of lava lamp aficionados

3) quality of avatars

They also are sadly lacking in japanese schoolgirl pics, so obviously it isn't a forum that has any value.

• Members
Honestly I'm surprised at some of the responses here.

so really you downplay us, while talking up over there, while admitting you dont really get into to the electronic forum in question (which was the point of the post, but not directly stated as such).

brilliant. thread over. :cop::wave:

• Members

Honestly I'm surprised at some of the responses here. Especially the ones that say gearslutz doesn't "get it". It's apparent to me the majority HERE don't "get" (IMO) what gearslutz is REALLY about: A PROFESSIONAL's RECORDING forum!

The majority of these guys do this for a LIVING (Some recording VERY famous people in fact and are generous enough to share some knowledge with the rest of us), not jerking off in their bedroom with a VA synth. For the most part, they don't give two {censored}s about your keyboards! All they care about is what sounds good, records good, etc...

The electronic section quoted is ONE subforum, which honestly I have never even been to (Ditto for the hip hop forum) because that {censored} bores the ever living {censored} out of me. Flame on, but the majority of that stuff (again to me) is idiot paint by numbers work. Don't get me wrong there ARE some guys of TRUE genius out there but they're not doing HC style posts on ANY forum.

I love HC FWIW, but IMO this is a bottom feeder forum compared to GearSlutz IMO.

Those of you bitching about the price of entry for a solid front end are missing the point. Just because we have DAWS now that have made consoles and reel to reel machines optional doesn't change other fundamentals of recording. The Microphone, the electronics that Microphone goes into (Preamps, Compressors, EQ's, etc... and lastly, converters!), and the ROOM still matter! ALL of it! It's especially noticeable as you begin to add lots of tracks.

Otherwise why would big studios and the people that know how to run them still exist? Because everyone is STUPID? NO, because to do something considered of "professional" quality this stuff still matters and adds up. Sure your home recording with an Mbox and fruity loops might sound "good", but you're not fooling anyone that it came from a studio hired by a major label!

Notice though, low end studios and some middle range studios are dying off, because those results are becoming achievable by the average joe at a reasonable cost.

So again, Gearslutz are people aspiring to do the "High end", "Pro", (Insert adjective here), thing. They "Get" that there are few shortcuts to achieve those results and it's not cheap (Probably never gonna be!). Once you understand the mindset over there you'll understand GearSlutz. Sure there are hobbyists there, but it is NOT a hobby forum.

Whew!

LOL @ you thinking recording quality matters that much.

Pathetic.

• Members

Whew!

So you're basically saying that hobbyists are masturbatory bottom-feeders. Awesome. If I make a t-shirt out of it, can I take full credit, or do I have to quote you?

• Members

Sure your home recording with an Mbox and fruity loops might sound "good", but you're not fooling anyone that it came from a studio hired by a major label!

While I agree with most of your post, the above sentence jumped out for me.

You know what makes FL Studio sound like FL Studio? The fact that amateurs use only the built-in presets and included samples. They stick out like a sore thumb. The fact that amateurs don't know how to mix properly and smack a Soundgoodizer over the end result, flipping through the presets.

The reason nobody's fooled is because usually the what and how is included in the story. No opportunity to do double-blind testing; if there was, you might be surprised, really. Don't underestimate it.

• Members

In short:

Gearslutz is mostly the "pro" guys. Every non pro can go there to learn new stuff. Helps a LOT. I talk about the "tips and tricks" of simple things; not "hey buddy! you should get a NEVE preamp for 5000$ else you'll sound like {censored}". Don't know if there are guys who talk like that, luckily i've never met them on gearslutz so far.

say... you search for some info about gear you want purchase i.e. Eventide H3000, or Lexicon PCM70 and what comes on the first page of Google? Gearslutz. Someone asked something and you got a bunch of different opinions. Instead of useless reviews that look just the same (and end with the same sentience: "wow! great thing. if lost or stolen, i'd buy another one".)

When you need specific help about some gear, you go there and ask. A lot of experts there who know the stuff. Problem is - some of the (recommended) gear costs so you get a dose of frustration from time to time.

No much joking around there - because - it is often about technical issues you have to start a new thread and ask for help and you don't feel like laughing.

It's a common thing there to talk with someone like Marshall Jefferson or Phelan Kane (Radiohead, Dido), and many others who sold more than most of us together. I'd say, one can learn more from them than characters like Swardle or TonyRobbins. You get the idea.

For having good time with good friends i go KSS. When i need some specific help i go Gearslutz.

• Members

i've been on HC KSS and Gearslutz for about 5 years. to me, this place here used to be more about synths, while Gearslutz was clearly more about recording. evidently, things have since changed, and now we have threads in one forum talking about another forum.

• Members

Sure your home recording with an Mbox and fruity loops might sound "good", but you're not fooling anyone that it came from a studio hired by a major label!

*slithers in*

Hi! I'm aware of songs that got splashed all over MTV, that got recorded through an Mbox!

(The specific example I'm thinking of used a Monomachine / Machinedrum and other electronic gear, not Fruity Loops. But with all the hip hop charting in the states, and techno overseas, I wouldn't be surprised if FL Studio has been used in more than a few #1s.)

*slithers out*

(And I know the difference then the DIYer home studio and top-end. But you know as much as I do that even the *big* studios are dying out, too.)

Archived