what's so different about gear slutz?

Metrosonus

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

so this 16 year old kid ends up with a microphone, nothing to plug it into and nothing to make beats with because it's all it's all about the results, which i suppose "none" qualifies for.. since he can't afford any other gear at that point? and at that point, what's wrong with fruity loops and a 30$ shure?

any way, this discussion is quickly becoming circular and is beyond my intent of the thread.

Not circular, just stubborn. If you don't understand what's wrong with FL and a $30 shure then I can't explain it to you! If the kid's looking for THAT kind of advice @ GS he's in the wrong place cause he's not gonna get it. Most there feel that would be a disservice to him, and are not going to go research what would "work" in that price bracket. The kid's already on the internet so he can EASILY go do that himself.

They're going to tell him to save his money, or buy whatever to hold him over (Because at that level it really doesn't matter WHAT he buys with exception of preference) until he can afford something decent. If someone wants to buy the cheapest {censored} possible so they can go make some Beatz and rap over it with an SM58. GS is not the place to go. It's really that simple! Personally I'm glad there's a place like this for those of us looking to do things beyond that. IMO there's really no other resource like GS on the internet. If you can't appreciate that, no big deal to me!

• Members

It's really that simple! Personally I'm glad there's a place like this for those of us looking to do things beyond that. IMO there's really no other resource like GS on the internet. If you can't appreciate that, no big deal to me!

I do appreciate Gearslutz, like Diametro said I make a point to browse the threads pretty much every day. There's a lot of good, knowledgeable people there.

On the other hand, you're trying to make yourself sound like the representation of what Gearslutz stands for, but you're probably doing them a disservice, by judging the way you're behaving in this thread.

• Members

I wouldn't be surprised if they recorded that themselves, but in their own studio that still costs double (If not triple) what any of us have here. After that, they sent it to a major studio to be mixed/mastered for sure.

Where hence it gets squished to {censored} via L2 and sounds just as bad as the kid with the MBox. :lol:

I kid. I think Gearslutz is more fine with "low-end" than some may think. For instance, I seem to recall the SM57 / 58 getting some well respected props on Gearslutz, the SM57 especially for instrumental mics. There may be some snobs on Gearslutz that look down on these mics just because they are budget, but I don't recall many if any. Many may recommend having *lots* of different types of mics for different scenarios (eg have an Audix i5 on hand to compare with your Sm57) but that's not gear snobbery.

It's actually a very common scenario for the electronic musician to have a "bedroom studio" and while pros usually are beyond the kid with a cracked copy of FL-Studio pros still often have rather modest studios, no $8000 compressors and hundreds-of-grands SSLs anymore. Gearslutz however can still be useful to us guys. I remember picking the Fireface 800 in part due to Gearslutz threads, which while of a nice quality isn't top top level.

Where Gearslutz fails sometimes is in the very cheap: for instance, that forum would tend to describe, say, a Lexicon Alpha as total {censored} and not go any further one way or another. This is a disservice for the beginning musician, especially. You do not need $20,000 worth of gear or even $2,000 worth of gear just to get started. (I have an Alpha too. It's actually pretty good for what it is.)

From my perception, HC KSS is: A) Less serious business than Gearslutz, and B) More oriented to gigging keyboardists than Gearslutz.

• Members

I kid. I think Gearslutz is more fine with "low-end" than some may think. For instance, I seem to recall the SM57 / 58 getting some well respected props on Gearslutz, the SM57 especially for instrumental mics. There may be some snobs on Gearslutz that look down on these mics just because they are budget, but I don't recall many if any. Many may recommend having *lots* of different types of mics for different scenarios (eg have an Audix i5 on hand to compare with your Sm57) but that's not gear snobbery.

It's actually a very common scenario for the electronic musician to have a "bedroom studio" and while pros usually are beyond the kid with a cracked copy of FL-Studio pros still often have rather modest studios, no $8000 compressors and hundreds-of-grands SSLs anymore. Gearslutz however can still be useful to us guys. I remember picking the Fireface 800 in part due to Gearslutz threads, which while of a nice quality isn't top top level.

Where Gearslutz fails sometimes is in the very cheap: for instance, that forum would tend to describe, say, a Lexicon Alpha as total {censored} and not go any further one way or another. This is a disservice for the beginning musician, especially. You do not need $20,000 worth of gear or even $2,000 worth of gear just to
get started.
(I have an Alpha too. It's actually pretty good for what it is.)

From my perception, HC KSS is: A) Less serious business than Gearslutz, and B) More oriented to gigging keyboardists than Gearslutz.

Here is someone who I think gets it. It's not about money or "low end". It's about does the piece in question perform (i.e. sound good) or not? There's stuff on GS that's NOT cheap that gets dissed too. It's less common but it happens.

I don't think anyone should be upset that GS fails beginners just getting into the game because it's not that kind of forum. There are LOTS of other places (Ahem) to serve that purpose.

• Members

Tell ya what.. How about you pose the SAME question "What's the difference between Harmony Central and Gearslutz" over at GS in one of the MAIN sections of the forum and see what happens!

once again you've missed the point of the thread and are being unnecessarily aggressive and arrogant. the spirit of the thread was friendship; wanting to know what people found interesting about GS because some friends from here fell by the wayside. i'm sorry you see it as a pissing contest.

don, thanks for your objective answer.

old friends, stop by once in a while :wave:

mods, please feel free to close.

cyclical redundancy check

divide by 0

/thread

• Members
:snax:

So, is the concensus that KSS is more about the social aspect than about being an a useful resource? If that's true, do we want to change that? I know certain people would give an emphatic "yes", but I'm also sure that there's lots that like it here the way it is.

Discuss.

change is OK, but I like how ppl are nice and respectful PLUS supportive here

Archived