what's so different about gear slutz?

Metrosonus

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Take it how you want dude. The thread topic is gearslutz as a whole, not one of their subforums that only a fraction of the people who frequent that forum participate in.

My intent was spelling out the deal for those who don't "get it" about gearslutz and the crazy $$$$ they spend on gear and then whine that their beatz don't sound as dope and phat as flavor of the month rapper dude.

no, it was actually about the electronic sub forum with regards to members of both forums. I noticed some that have been long time members here posting there more frequently and I was just wondering what the difference was, it was an honest question. the topic was obvious to the members here even if I didn't explicitly say so. most of us here don't hang out in the other forums, so you're looking at the conversation from the opposite perspective.

most of us here could care less about the money involved. we do what we can with what we can afford because we enjoy it. it's fine if you want to laugh at people on youtube for having cracked copies of fruity loops trying to big up like dre. what we take issue with ( not you in particular) is telling a 16 year old kid who is trying to decide what to spend their birthday money on to buy neve preamps rather than focusing on practice, technique and patience and a reasonable bit of gear and then laughing behind his back because he doesn't have the money.

• Members

with regards to the specific electronic sub forum in question, i didn't see much content that was that different from here, aside from some very technical discussions that mostly involved don and a wider range of gear discussed.

overall, i think it's a status quo that that maintains it's self in part, due to IMHO that HC overall attracts older folks. and the younger folks we do get in here just happen to have similar ambitions as the rest of us.

i think it would be great if we could incorporate a different feel / discussions, but i think that's intrinsically tied into the HC site at large.

• Members

• It's a common thing there to talk with someone like Marshall Jefferson or Phelan Kane (Radiohead, Dido), and many others who sold more than most of us together. I'd say, one can learn more from them than characters like Swardle or TonyRobbins. You get the idea.
  •  

Yeah but there you also have that space****** guy and some other nuts :lol:

• Members
    :snax:

So, is the concensus that KSS is more about the social aspect than about being an a useful resource? If that's true, do we want to change that? I know certain people would give an emphatic "yes", but I'm also sure that there's lots that like it here the way it is.

Discuss.

Agreed. I like this place. I can go to hai guyz for the nonsense and lulz, and I can talk gear as much as I want. KSS is my favorite spot of the intarwebz these days :)

• Members

Oh I know... my first language is actually German. German jokes, in general, don't work in any other language. I can laugh for days at something my mom or uncle told me, and I can't ever share the joke with anyone that doesn't speak German... the humor just doesn't translate...

This did. I still roll over the floor laughing every time I see it.

• Members
    Being "high end" and "pro" isn't always about who spends the most money...

See, that's exactly the attitude that I was talking about.

Your mistaking my appreciation for what's necessary to get the desired results and spending money. No one is bragging about how much money they spent.

• Members
    :cop: :cop: :cop:

I frequent Gearslutz, because it's a great forum for learning about recording / engineering music, and the gear involved. Probably the best knowledge base on that subject in the whole of internetz. I have not found GS particularily "non-humorous". The Rap+Hiphop forum especially is filled with comedy ;) (but even there you can be enlightened by 'phillysoulman' and other, more experienced cats) Yes, some threads go downhill when people can't agree to disagree, but that happens on every internet forum.

:wave:

- CM

• Members

so this 16 year old kid ends up with a microphone, nothing to plug it into and nothing to make beats with because it's all it's all about the results, which i suppose "none" qualifies for.. since he can't afford any other gear at that point? and at that point, what's wrong with fruity loops and a 30$ shure?

any way, this discussion is quickly becoming circular and is beyond my intent of the thread.

Archived