i hate this..amp search, maybe the splawn is too "raw" sounding for me...

freakk guitarist

• Members

i was playing around on it last night with my CL80 loaded cab, and a few nights ago with my eminence Guvernor loaded cab... and i dunno. there somthing about the splawn i like, but it almost has too much of a "Honk", its kinda mess of mid, treble and bass. i feel like i need an amp that has the same/aroudn the same tonal qualitys as the splawn, i love the gain, i could be fine if it had quite a bit less, i love the gears. i just feel like my search for tone is calling for an amp with a more super clear, refined gain, now im not talking dry and tight like a VHT, just nice tight saturated, very OPEN sounding CLEAR heavy thick 3D gain, with smooth highs and super tight lows, i need barely more then what a JCM800 can dish out, anything more id use a boost for. am i crazy? do i just have the wrong tubes/speakers in my splawn? or should i just keep on searching?

i hate this.

i hate loving good tone:evil:

• Members

yeah freakk...I know what you mean. I have been using an old Fender Twin and assorted preamp for 20 years. Trying to retire the Twin, andget a real 2-3 channel amp. Been trying head cabs just for something different. It's MADDEDING!

What one person likes....LOVES.... you find you hate. And money doesn't matter...could be very expensive and you still don't like it.

Maddening I tell you.

• Members

Originally posted by freakk guitarist

i just feel like my search for tone is calling for an amp with a more super clear, refined gain, now im not talking dry and tight like a VHT, just nice tight saturated, very OPEN sounding CLEAR heavy thick 3D gain, with smooth highs and super tight lows, i need barely more then what a JCM800 can dish out, anything more id use a boost for.

Avenger or SLO ???

• Members

Originally posted by 17 Tubes

...What one person likes....LOVES.... you find you hate. And money doesn't matter...could be very expensive and you still don't like it.

Maddening I tell you.

+158,459,473,343,021,741

Preach.

• Members

very OPEN sounding CLEAR heavy thick 3D gain, with smooth highs and super tight lows, i need barely more then what a JCM800 can dish out, anything more id use a boost for. am i crazy? do i just have the wrong tubes/speakers in my splawn?

i hate this.

i hate loving good tone:evil:

jj KT77's

about $70 shipped, for a matched quad.

• Members

I'm assuming you've already tried various settings with an eq pedal or rack eq as well as possibly lowering the gain on the amp and boosting it with an overdrive pedal, based on the gear in your sig that you've had.

But I'm posting this just in case you haven't~!

I have a Peavey Ultra Plus I would almost hate without running an eq pedal in the loop. Without it, it sounds ultra compressed and thin (a 5150 I previously had sounded too thin without an eq in the loop, too). Using my Boss GE-7 in the loop, setting the left 2 freq's up a couple notches, the middle 3 up one notch, and the right 2 up two notches, I get a much more open sound and a thicker tone. Maybe an eq would help get a more open sound on your amp.

• Members

the splawn is very aggro. if you want to play intense rock and cut and project through a mix with upper frequency definition, it is great. the tone bristles with energy and it performs well for a microphone.

but to me it kinda seems like an all or nothing kinda amp. it might be great to have a single channel splawn set for what it does best, and then amp switch to a dedicated clean/blues amp.

• Members
Originally posted by dropthisd

jj KT77's

about $70 shipped, for a matched quad.

Those tubes are amazing, keep in mind I have a JSX but they are smoother and thicker sounding than el34's with a HUGE tight low end to them. I have had them for about two weeks now and every time I plug in I love them more and more. I can't imagine someone not liking those tubes but what do I know ;)

• Members

whats the difference between the mark IV and III? i was thinking of trying out JJKT77s but 70 bucks is alot to just toss up for tubes. i was thinking bogner XTC, but thats so much money, i cant afford that. i was thinking about a budda before hand, maybe a bogner shiva 6l6, i really liked the superdriveII when i tried it. how much.and how do mojave's sound? ive heard amazing things about them. im all about noname brands. any other opinions?

i thoughtof buying a cobra, but i thought it would be more of a metal amp, then a rock amp that COULD do metal.

Ian

• Members

whats the difference between the mark IV and III? i was thinking of trying out JJKT77s but 70 bucks is alot to just toss up for tubes. i was thinking bogner XTC, but thats so much money, i cant afford that. i was thinking about a budda before hand, maybe a bogner shiva 6l6, i really liked the superdriveII when i tried it. how much.and how do mojave's sound? ive heard amazing things about them. im all about noname brands. any other opinions?

i thoughtof buying a cobra, but i thought it would be more of a metal amp, then a rock amp that COULD do metal.

Ian

Ian, I realize $70 sounds like a lot but it should be cheaper and easier than getting a new amp when you figure in shipping and everything. Plus, those tubes just came out and are in high demand so if you don't like them you could turn around and sell them and maybe lose like $10-$15 off the new price on them. Just a thought.

__Shane

• Members

i've had my splawn for 1.5 years now. sounds great, i have no idea why anyone would sell it.

i wouldn't really worry about it. i used to be a tone-whore and i realized that the amp isn't giong to make me sound better, it would be doing "real" practice.

and if it's something as subtle as the amp sounding "raw" that's nothing. It's probably fine for what you want to do, as long as it's not a JC-120 for metal or something crazy like that I'd stick with the amp.

• Members

Ian

There was another dude with a new quad of JJ kt7's (about 1 hour on them), for $60 shipped. Call Scott Splawn, he put a set in the QR and can tell you more specifics.

Archived