Have you ever been touched deeply by a beautiful song into tears?

AnalogGuy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 10 months later...
  • Members

Really great thread, especially because of great posts.

Music that has overwhelming effect on me invariably is related heavily to a precise moment, event or memory in my Life.
It's so mysterious though that, while a song I heard in an emotional moment obviously can become attached to it, sometimes brand new music (mainly great pop) can sometimes hit with painful accuracy what I'm going through, even reveal it to me...

Cheers to whitanar for pointing out how music can be related to movies.
And MacHale, I LOVE your story about the parade !!!

I can only list randomly a couple of titles extremely unrelated to each other that have or still do kill me and help me live at the same time:

Pat Metheny Group - "Are you going with me?"(live version on album TRAVELS), "Last train home"
Beatles - "All you need is love", "The long and winding road"
Coldplay - "The scientist", "Fix you"
Gustav Mahler - "Adagio" from Symphony #5 (used in the movie "Death in Venice")
W.A. Mozart - countless arias from his operas, the Requiem, but specifically: in THE MAGIC FLUTE: 1st aria of the Three Dames (at the very beginning, just after they kill the dragon who was threatening prince Tamino)
Kate Bush - "The Kick Inside" (the song, although the album is a gem), "Feel it", "In the warm room", "Hounds of love"(the song), "The morning fog", "This Woman's work", "Moments of pleasure"
Pink Floyd - "The lunatic", "Comfortably numb"
Johannes Brahms - in his Deutsches Requiem: "Seelig sind die Toten"
Giuseppe Verdi - from the Requiem: "Requiem", "Lacrymosa", "Offertorium: Hostias"
The Hollies - "He ain't heavy (He's my brother)"
Edison Lighthouse - "Love grows where my Rosemary goes"
Eurythmics - "I saved the world today"
Annie Lennox - "No more I love you's" + "Waiting in vain" (both from the covers album MEDUSA)
Goldfrapp - "Deer stop" (from FELT MOUNTAIN... that album was a shock)
Eric Idle (from the MONTY PYTHONS) - "Always look on the bright side of life" (I swear I'm not joking... I laugh a the beginning and feel like crying towards the end...)

(I'll stop here! ;) )

• Members

I saw these girls last month at a small venue (playhouse)

Before the song started, the girl on the right explained how she wrote this song for her brother who was the 52nd murder victom in Toronto a few years earlier.

Her father was a woodworker and had some special wood in his woodshop he was saving for a special occassion.

When her brother was killed, the father was in the woodshop making a casket from the wood he was saving; everyone in the audience had tears in their eyes, it was pretty moviing.

These girls won the John Lennon Songwriting Contest Grand Prize in 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnr5ytmlV00&feature=related

• Members

The genius that is Ludovico Einaudi...
From the soundtrack to the 2002 version of Dr Zhivago... even this version has me weeping bucket loads... esp the ending of this film :cry:
[YOUTUBE]LxHboLPFtds[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]riq7y868KVY[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Last night, riding the bus to my girlfriend's place, having had a rollercoasterride of a week. Listening to the second disc in my newly acquired "E.S.T. Live in Hamburg" record, I found myself crying over Goldhearted Miner (even the titled pushed me over the edge), Dolores in a Shoestand, Goldwrap.

Weird situation? Yea. Fantastic, beautiful music nonetheless? You Betcha!

[YOUTUBE]1S8Pb3Rt18U&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]0-vLMi-Yshs&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Why can't an orchestra play a piece without a conductor? Isn't everything written down on sheet music? Or is he needed for the things that cannot be expressed on sheet music?

They can. I did this morning in fact.

Symphonies usually have 80-90 people in them, that's a very small town. Even a town that size would have a mayor, which is one of the things a conductor does. Ask 80 orchestra players a question and you'll get 80 varying answers to it. Without a conductor, rehearsals would probably end in fistfights, with everyone trying to get the music "their way".

The audience doesn't see 99% of what a conductor does. They do it in rehearsals, in board meetings with rich people, in meetings with mgmt, librarians, do programming, all kinds of stuff. The actual "beating time" part is a really small part of it. It's not uncommon for a conductor to walk out into the hall in rehearsal and listen for balance, so it's not like people can't play without one.

• Members

bunch a NANCYS!

THIS is why chicks dig guitars over keyboards.... guitarists would smack them around rather than cry, and they'd prefer that to a non-strong-enough-to-be-my-protector type.

What? I'm just sayin'.... :D

• Members

"I Need You To Turn To" Elton John
"Silent Night" Mannheim Steamroller
"I Still Can't Say Goodbye" Chet Atkins
"Somewhere Over The Rainbow" Eva Cassidy

Eva could sing the telephone book and make you cry. At the benefit in a
local bar, a full house of top musicians played, and we tried to keep it somewhat upbeat. At the end, Eva was helped up on stage and sang
"Somewhere". Everyone in the place cried but Eva. She died days after.
YouTube has some on it.

Alison Krause can move me, the voice of an angel.

• Members

I am pretty emotional guy and about music I am pretty much always so critical that I want songs to be able to bring me some feelings... not generally anything radical but something very "humane" and honest music, but that's pretty rare in these days to find such a songs. Everyone seems to be making music only for masses... music for radio and for parties or make terrible heavy music and screaming vocals or just "heavy rock music". XD

So... if you ever had such a weird moment where you actually were really touched by some song or as in worst case, even cried because of the song... just add it here, just the name of song and artist will be fine but youtube video or sound example would be even better.

My own terrible/wonderful experience:

Artist: Popol Vuh

Song: Aguirre I (the first part of the song)

Year: 1972

I have to be honest and it's hard... but at the very first time, this song made me into tears!!! Soundtrack.
Electronic
music from 1972!!!! Instruments are unknown but the choir is from ultra rare "choir-organ" keyboard which was basically similar to mellotron but much bigger but that's all I know and no-one have ever seen it. The choir sound is just so extremely beautiful and very stunning!

Another one:

Artist: Vangelis

Song: The other side of Antarctica

Year: 1983

Soundtrack again. I can admit that this song strikes me more than usual mostly because I have seen the original movie so I know the meaning and emotions behind the song. The movie was incredibly difficult to watch... and now after movie, this song brings me almost tears every single time I hear it! It's so powerful and very sad.

Yes I have and will cry

Archived