Have you ever been touched deeply by a beautiful song into tears?

AnalogGuy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
'Time' (Clock of the Heart ) - Culture Club (1982)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_(Clock_of_the_Heart
)

:cry:

Theme from A Summer Place - Percy Faith (1960)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theme_from_A_Summer_Place

Crazy for You - Madonna (1985)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_for_You_(song
)

I'm Not in Love - 10CC (1975)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_Not_in_Love

And the saddest one of all:

Alone Again (Naturally) - Gilbert O'Sullivan - 1972

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alone_Again_(Naturally
)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_P-v1BVQn8

Funny you mentioned Culture Club. Their song "Colour By Numbers" was the one for me.

• Members

This song as I understand it, Joe Satriani wrote in reflection of the death of his father, he had a hard time finishing it until another guitar player friend of his (Steve Morse I think it was) father also passed away which gave him the inspiration to finish it.
To me this performance of the song seems to express so many stages of emotion, from denial, anger, and broken pain to familiar ghostly moments you experience after losing a loved one, then it finally subsides into the somber quiet reality of acceptance. It rips me in two everytime I hear it, I love it so much, not a word is spoken in this song but the expression Joe conjures says it all.
This song is called Made of Tears.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members
Laugh if you must, cue the "it's a cartoon" comments :D(btw, try to keep a dry eye during the first part of Up....), but this song and the visuals do me in every time, especially now that I have kids (they turn you into sentimental fools).

[YOUTUBE]px0j1EHF8Y0[/YOUTUBE]

I've thought for a long time that that's one of the most emotionally powerful music/visual sequences I've ever seen. It works on so many levels. There are also so many moments in that tune that separate brilliant writing from good--for example, when that little descending-sixths motif changes from major to minor to foreshadow the growing apart (about 1:17), it's subtle, but absolutely heartbreaking in context.

• Members

I have a few tunes I would describe as lachrymose, but I doubt they would have the same effect on others.

A movie soundtrack by itself will never do the trick, but when associated with a particularly weighty emotional moment, can be quite effective. Hearing the same soundtrack in the future can evoke the same emotional state, but it's more a memory of the weighty moment than the effect of the music itself.

Example: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. On the whole, an amazing soundtrack. But one song in particular always gets me teary:

Peer Pressure

This is the part where the hero realizes he made a mistake, and there's nothing he can do about it, punctuated by images of a traumatic childhood event. It is the embodiment of regret.

Another example not from a movie comes from life experience. Anyone who has kids might understand better. My son is still close to toddler age and really cute, but even now I lament the future when that child and unconditional love are gone forever. For some reason, the end of "Return to Poo Corner" by Kenny Loggins (when the echo of the child laughs in the background) brings out that feeling of childhood lost.

"Cat's in the Cradle" used to do it, but it got overplayed and used for too many reference gags. :)

• Members

"Ubi Caritas," arr. by Bob Hurd. I have fought back tears as I was performing that with the church choir. Translated, the first line means "Where charity and love are, God also is."

"How Great Thou Art" was Dad's all-time favorite hymn. Verse 3, especially. Really hard for me to play in public.

Rick Wakeman's "The Last Battle" from Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. The orchestra, the choir, the narration, the synths - too much.

Good thread.

• Members

Why can't an orchestra play a piece without a conductor? Isn't everything written down on sheet music? Or is he needed for the things that cannot be expressed on sheet music?

They often set the tempo and dynamics of the piece. Classical music is a little different from almost all other forms I can think of in that the tempo and dynamics can be quite fluid. Although some degree of this expression is written by the composer, the conductor gets an additional say in interpreting these matters.

• Members

Live singing with rich vocal harmonies has the potential to make my eyes water - especially if I'm one of the folks singing it. Something about good harmony hits a sympathetic vibration with me and the next thing I know ... my eyes start to water. The song itself doesn't really matter ... it happens with everything from bar bands to church choirs. Sometimes it's downright embarassing.

• Members

This is going to sound stupid, but here goes.

When I was about 6, my parents took my family and I to Disneyland where I saw the Main Street Electrical Parade (which debuted the year I was born). I was too little to know what a vocoder or a Moog was and I wouldn't find out the real song was Baroque Hoedown until many years later. But I fell in love with all of the sounds and musical effects and knew I wanted to do that stuff myself.

Fast forward to 1996.

Was at Disneyland again (only other time since my first visit) and while watching the parade, I found out from someone standing by me that it was the last year for the parade and it was being retired for ever. That was as close to crying during a song as I've ever been.

Who knew that the replacement, Light Magic would be an instant failure and they would eventually bring the Main Street Electrical Parade back out of fear if they didn't the park would close?!

2 interesting side notes:

1. I pop in the 1999 CD every once in a while to remember my roots and am still amazed at what they did with the equipment at the time. It's my favorite arrangement of Baroque Hoedown.

The_Main_Street_Electrical_Parade_%28199

2. I worked for a communications company in college doing things with Differential GPS and helped design some GPS equipment for agricultural use that ended up being installed on the parade itself to trigger the lights (found out a couple years later). Cool.

• Members

I have no idea why but Dream Theaters Count of Tuscany touches me...
And i cant sing along the last verse of Cats in the Cradle by Ugly Kid Joe because i get all emotional.

I have a 1 year old daughter growing up that might explain Cats, but DT? Understand it those who can :confused:

Archived